Roll the Dice Problems Before Rated Map

WeeNi

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:02 pm
This is what I think needs to happen with Roll the Dice before it becomes a rated map.

First, I would like to talk about experience in other maps, then I would like to compare to Roll the Dice.

In other Custom Scenario maps, it's obvious, but not so unless you think about it, that a randomness is included in the map. Let's take for example, RCB Gold, CBA, CBA Hero. These are all maps that are dependent on the random roll of your civ selection. If it is 4v4, and 4 ranged are vs 4 un-ranged, then obviously, we could expect that the unr-anged lose. this isn't even a question of consequence if any of the players have played at least 10 games experience. I'm so tired of playing CBA and RCB when the only outcome is your civ selection. This is due to the random computer selection of your civ. Then the other players cry *noob, noob, noob, noob, omg, u are noob because you are Aztec and I'm uber Saracens with fast imperial and fast siege rams". OMG< I F(*&^*& hate that S*$&.

In RCB, it's the same, i'm uber good because i'm Persians and i can build 1,000 elephants to get all perks involved to annihalite you before you even get a F(*&(*&%ing chance to buy anything at the store.

OMG, I HATE BOTH OF THOSE GAMES!!!!!!1111

****** Roll the Dice ******

Along comes Roll The Dice. Not only does this game obliviate Fast Proxy users from playing as there is no lag, but it does what CBA Hero and RCB Gold does in the first 1 second of the game, times 20,000,000,000 billion. It randomizes repeatedly. If I start a CBA hERO game with the wrong civ, then the game is already over. I just play because I think that the random civ selection will be offset by the chance that someone will drop thus making my team uber because we are not overpowered due to 2v4 or 3v4.

Roll the Dice changes everything by providing the player with not only 1 roll of the dice for civ selection, but they get 1,000 rolls of the dice during the game. This evenly balances the game because your game is no longer dependent on the initial roll, but instead on your own selection of perks and upgrades that you choose from the store.

The problem I see, is lack of selection. Go ahead and play Rambit Tower Defense. It's the same ****ing game every time you play. If you don't do the upgrades in the exact order that everybody demands, then you are a ****ing noob. Why is this the case? Because there is just not enough diverse selection in the store or in Rambit's case, the custom upgrades in blacksmith, town center, etc. Even though there are 30 different upgrades, every single game is the same and predictable. Let me diverse....

... this is not the case with Roll the Dice. Every game is unpredictable. Regardless of civ selection, regardless of your path, you choose what path you want to take, using the store. This is the vital part to this game, .Roll The Dice.

In order to be successful, even though it is already somewhat successful, I believe there has to be many more implements of store upgrades. I don't want to play this game repeatedly with the same concept of buying tower defense, buy gold upgrade, then kill towers with -200 kills by sending 15 carts to -200 tower points store option.

There simply has to be more store items added to the game. Not only does there need to be a few more, we need to see at least double or triple the amount of currently buy-able options. If not, I fear, this map will see the demise of all other maps out there. And I simply do not want that to happen. When this game does become rated, if at all, then i'd like to see it succeed, not just now, but in the future.

The problem is replay-ability. Although the game is great, there is really only 2 or 3 paths you can take to winning the game using the store. This needs to be expanded. To be truly successful, we need to see 20, or 30, or 40 different paths to winning.

I'm not posting this to bash Roll the Dice, quite the contrary. Please reread. I love this map compared to any other out there, but I simply don't want to see the map go away. As a player of Age of Empires for 12 years now, this is the most fun map I have played to date. I just don't want to see this end prematurely.
Link | Reply | Quote
 syssouffle

Edited 24 November 2012 - 3:14 pm by syssouffle
Thanks for the great feedback !

I think there are more paths, all of them are interesting !
- Bank + Bank x3 + Final (or contrary)
- Final + save carts (bbt, more panic, snipers...)
- Random upgrade + Bank + Bank x3
- Random upgrade + Full wood
- Middle rate + AP
- Go damage outpost
- Get lottery if going to lose
- etc... variant and purchase order make new possibilities

=> Optionally +1 food/30 sec and medium power: paths are customizable, yes with update that can be better but it's already nice. Path a bit derived depending of players style: Defender or Agressive. The unknown upgrade can also open new way.

It's sure for the moment i know only 2 or 3 main paths which are very interesting, but other are totally playable. The only thing i'm sure is the store give to players the choose, there are no specific way to win and player must have a good intuition, not a good memory like TD ^^. It's sure the game should be lot better with more paths, but it's hard to find new interesting idea.

The strategy of save carts definitevely not work with good players, they get kills too fast, or get outpost HP, or kill you !

Big update with new paths is possible but for the moment no more work for me ^^

Finally i don't really think we can speak about "problems" but possible improvements... Roll the dice have already a good life duration and interesting gameplay with the actual store.

v8.4 will be maybe the first rated version if voobly agree i hope

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 2 out of 2 posts