Community Forums > Voobly Community > Age of Empires II: The Conquerors > Random Map > How to Counter These One Trick Ponies

How to Counter These One Trick Ponies

commiedic

Posted 2 April 2013 - 11:14 pm
I play Full Random 1v1 matches. Seems like every one I play against, save a few, only use one strat. Find somewhere around my base I haven't scouted and start building towers and military buildings and slowly enter my base with them.

I really don't want to be forced to play super aggressive in early Feudal Age so I was wondering what is the best way to prepare for this and to see it coming? It is especially bad on island maps.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Eot_]Marvel__

Posted 3 April 2013 - 1:17 am
Outposts.
Link | Reply | Quote
 SIvI0k3M

Posted 4 April 2013 - 3:39 am
I used to play RM back when AOE2 was on zone... I haven;t played in years until i seen it was coming out on steam on the 9th again. Basically, what you need to do is get better at the game... start age advancing better basically. How long is it taking you to fued then advance?
Link | Reply | Quote
 commiedic

Posted 5 April 2013 - 2:55 am
I think I am pretty fast to get to Feudal. Actually the one word reply was good info. I have started making more outposts. 2-3 between my base and theirs so I can see troop movement and sometimes 1-2 close to his base so I can spy in on what they are making and what units they have.

My problem is that I focus way too hard on economy, but I am starting to break from that. I have started getting early units like bowmen and pikemen to ward off villagers I see coming across the map. Then I focus on counters to the other persons army.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Good

Edited 15 April 2013 - 1:01 pm by Good
It's probably best to work on a build order. Most standard build orders will give you a good basis for defending against a Trush (tower rush). For example, I find a mixture of scouts and skirmishers is great for defending. Try hitting Feudal a bit earlier than you normally would, then also gather food from the closest deers to your base, which will bump up your food (if you don't do this already). Try walling your base early with a combination of palisades, houses and military buildings. You don't need to fully wall your base, but try and be smart about it, as in make it difficult for your opponent to build towers around where you're collecting resources without you noticing.

Hope that helps.

P.S. If you want some standard build orders, there are plenty to be found on voobly or aoczone. Simply type "build order" and "voobly" / "aoczone" into google and you should find a decent supply.
Link | Reply | Quote
 ['RB']Dan

Posted 15 April 2013 - 1:13 pm
Burn them with fire and watch them die a horrible death!

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 6 out of 6 posts