Dark Colors Mod

MeTrOiD_WeaPoN

Edited 23 June 2013 - 9:29 pm by MeTrOiD_WeaPoN
How about instead of just changing one color for a mod (e.g. grey to black) you make a dark colors mod; dark blue, dark red, dark green, yellow, turquoise (row 7, column 7), dark purple, black, dark orange. It'd be more visually appealing imo. Although, you can't really do much with players 4 and 5.

Had that idea back last year when people were first discussing a mod for the grey color. Just took a couple hours to edit the colors so they look good.

So I played a couple games with it and decided to only change half of the player colors (1,6,7, and 8.). Otherwise it's too hard to tell the players apart.

Pic of colors: [You must login to view link]

Installation:

Place the following "Dark Colors" extracted folder into this directory.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Voobly Mods\AOC\Local Mods

Download: [You must login to view link]
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ViCiouS]SvoQ

Posted 19 June 2013 - 7:28 pm
You must login into Voobly to view image
Link | Reply | Quote
 Smileboy

Posted 19 June 2013 - 9:40 pm
Looks Good.
Link | Reply | Quote
 MeTrOiD_WeaPoN

Posted 19 June 2013 - 9:57 pm
Here's what the units look like too: [You must login to view link]

I don't see that great of changes for some players but others their units look awesome.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Rambit

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:06 pm
Blue and Grey look to similar IMO. Green isn't far away form either also.

I think if you make blue more blue you will be okay. GJ on the rest though.
Link | Reply | Quote
 MeTrOiD_WeaPoN

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:47 am
It's just a really dark blue. I'm hesitant to change it since it took some time to find. What do other people think?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Rambit

Edited 20 June 2013 - 2:13 am by Rambit
Quote:
It's just a really dark blue. I'm hesitant to change it since it took some time to find. What do other people think?
You have the colour chart to look at right?

EDIT:

It is 16x16, count from left to right then down. Top Right-hand corner is 16, bottom right-hand corner is 256.

Examples:
11 = 11th from the left on the top row, Black.
253 = 4th from the right on the bottom, Bright Pink.
Link | Reply | Quote
 MeTrOiD_WeaPoN

Posted 20 June 2013 - 3:03 am
Rambit wrote:
You have the colour chart to look at right?

EDIT:

It is 16x16, count from left to right then down. Top Right-hand corner is 16, bottom right-hand corner is 256.

Examples:
11 = 11th from the left on the top row, Black.
253 = 4th from the right on the bottom, Bright Pink.

I do but I don't think that thing is right. For instance, for P7 I have #10 but counting from left to right it says it's blue.
Link | Reply | Quote
 MeTrOiD_WeaPoN

Edited 20 June 2013 - 3:28 am by MeTrOiD_WeaPoN
I just tried it with #200 for p1 and it looks better; not as dark.

[You must login to view link]

I just made an excuse. Ignore my comment about it being hard. Really wasn't at all...this time anyways. Just tried next number up.

Anyways. I think they're quite distinguishable now.

Any chance of getting this added as an official mod?
PIN3 wrote:
The first one(black) doesn't count, the first row counts as 15 for some reason.

Yeah it seems the first row skips #1 and only has 15 colors but you should still count it as 16 for colors further down. I didn't do that and was counting it as 15 and had to just go +/- a few numbers around what I thought would be a good color, which is why it probably took longer than it should.

Link | Reply | Quote
 MeTrOiD_WeaPoN

Edited 21 June 2013 - 4:50 pm by MeTrOiD_WeaPoN
I'm new to this modding business. Is there anything else I need to change like the way a unit looks behind buildings? I think they're slightly different due to this mod but still visible.

Edit: Grammar. Too early in the am.
Link | Reply | Quote
 calexus5678

Posted 21 June 2013 - 8:45 pm
It's too hard to distinguish the colors on the minimap
Link | Reply | Quote
 MeTrOiD_WeaPoN

Edited 21 June 2013 - 10:14 pm by MeTrOiD_WeaPoN
It's too hard to distinguish the colors on the minimap

Not in widescreen mode it wasn't. Not for me anyways...kinda need to play a game with it to see though and I can't do that till it's an official mod. I'm sure it'll take some time getting used too period. For instance, I even thought the dark grey mod by PIN3 was P3 for a couple games till I got used to it.

Link | Reply | Quote
 Rambit

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:31 pm
Quote:
Not in widescreen mode it wasn't. Not for me anyways...kinda need to play a game with it to see though and I can't do that till it's an official mod. I'm sure it'll take some time getting used too period. For instance, I even thought the dark grey mod by PIN3 was P3 for a couple games till I got used to it.
You don't need it to be official for other people to use it. Just give the other people in the room a link to it.
Link | Reply | Quote
 MeTrOiD_WeaPoN

Edited 21 June 2013 - 11:58 pm by MeTrOiD_WeaPoN
Rambit wrote:
You don't need it to be official for other people to use it. Just give the other people in the room a link to it.

When I launch the game from my desktop I see the colors but when I do it through voobly I don't?

Edit: Nvm got it to work. [You must login to view link]
Link | Reply | Quote
 MeTrOiD_WeaPoN

Edited 22 June 2013 - 2:22 pm by MeTrOiD_WeaPoN
So I played a couple games with it and decided to only change half of the player colors (1,6,7, and 8.). Otherwise it's too hard to tell the players apart.

Pic of colors: [You must login to view link]

Installation:

Place the following "Dark Colors" extracted folder into this directory.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Voobly Mods\AOC\Local Mods

Download: [You must login to view link]

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]2
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 21 posts