Community Forums > Voobly Community > Other Games > Age Of Mythology > Age of Mythology ESO ratings to be implemented today

Age of Mythology ESO ratings to be implemented today

[DoD]_Nakamura

Edited 12 February 2014 - 4:13 am by +[OB_]ChronoJJ
To all our Voobly Age of Mythology players:

We (the Voobly staff) are glad to announce that the rating system for Age of Mythology has been changed. For years, Voobly has used the ELO rating system ([You must login to view link]), which was what had been used in the now defunct MSN Zone, where Age of Empires and Age of Empires II were first played online.

Back in 2002, when Age of Mythology (AoM) was released, Ensemble Studios created a new server for AoM, called Ensemble Studios Online (ESO). ESO used a completely new rating system, one which veteran Age of Mythology players grew to love. But when Age of Mythology was added to Voobly's ever-growing game library, Voobly implemented the old ELO rating system which had been used on MSN Zone for AoE and AoEII.

With ESO now gone, Voobly has become the premier platform for online Age of Mythology gaming. But as the ESO veterans moved to Voobly, they quickly noticed the change in the rating system. For quite some time, much of the Age of Mythology community has been asking that Voobly use the ESO system. Voobly was more than glad to bring back the ESO system, but there was one small problem - no one knew what the exact ESO rating algorithm was. After a great deal of research, we were able to locate a close replica (although not exact) of the ESO rating algorithm. We tweaked this close replica, and developed a formula which very closely resembles the ESO rating system.

And so, on February 9th, the ESO rating system was implemented on all Age of Mythology ladders.

Those unfamiliar with the ESO system may be asking, "What is the difference?" between ESO and ELO?

Here is a brief summary of the differences:
    ESO: You may win a maximum of 40 points per game (ELO was 32)
    ESO: Equal ratings will result in 20 points won/lost (ELO was 16)
    ESO: Much less forgiving when higher rated players play vs lower rated players (the highly-rated player will win very few points, but could lose up to 40)
    ESO: Team games have more points on the line than in ELO

(1x1)
In a match between equally rated players:
Example: 1600 vs 1600
ELO: Winner gains 16 points / Loser loses 16 points
ESO: Winner gains 20 points / Loser loses 20 points

In matches between unequally rated players:
Examples
1600 x 1650:
ELO: The 1650 would win 14 points / would lose 18 points
ESO: The 1650 would win 10 points / would lose 30 points

1600 x 1700:
ELO: The 1700 would win 20 points / would lose 12 points
ESO: The 1700 would win 4 points / would lose 36 points

1600 x 1750:
ELO: The 1750 would win 10 points / would lose 22
ESO: The 1750 would win 1 point / would lose 39 points

Team Games:

In the ELO system, the number of points available to be won/lost did not change from a 1x1 to a team game - it was always 32 - no matter how many players were in the game. But in the ESO system, more points are available in team games. Also, just like in 1x1, the ESO rating system discourages imbalanced teams. If a team's average rating is much higher than the opposition, then the higher-rated team would win very few points, but could lose many. Also, the ESO rating system takes into accout each player's individual rating, as compared to the team's average. Therefore, on the same winning team, a 1620 would win more points than his 1700 ally.

To look at examples of point distributions in ESO team games, click here:
http://www.voobly.com/ladder/view/Age-of-Mythology-The-Titans/TG-Supremacy
(scroll to the bottom)

As a comparison, you can look at point distributions in AoC team games here:
http://www.voobly.com/ladder/view/Age-of-Empires-II-The-Conquerors/RM-Team-Games
(scroll to the bottom)

_______

Special thanks to TSM_Fen for providing us with the partial code to the ESO algorithm. Also, thanks to Voobly's own Elusive for spending many hours updating the provided code, so that it very closely resembles the ESO algorithm of old.

If anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns, then feel free to post them here.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _IYIastA_

Posted 9 February 2014 - 8:25 am
ooo I kinda like the looks of that system.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [DoD]_Nakamura

Posted 9 February 2014 - 8:36 am
Before there is any misunderstanding, this is for AoM and AoT only, people.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Mr_Trollster

Posted 9 February 2014 - 9:22 am
We'll see how it works out.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Vexo

Edited 10 February 2014 - 4:38 am by Vexo
I really love the eso rating,
but now we can totally lose the hope to go rank 1 on custom scenario.
If we want to make the Real eso rating, then the decay system should be added on every ladder.
And also the right decay of eso, witch was if I remember correctly: 6 days of inactivity = -30 points
Link | Reply | Quote
 [BH_]lnIghTzl

Posted 10 February 2014 - 5:02 am
can you show some examples Nakamura? :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 [DoD]_Nakamura

Posted 10 February 2014 - 8:47 am
Check recent ladder games http://www.voobly.com/games/view/Age-of-Mythology-The-Titans
Link | Reply | Quote
 Ak94

Posted 14 February 2014 - 7:10 am
liked it xd .
Link | Reply | Quote
 lannista

Posted 14 March 2014 - 3:50 pm
hi guys i have played several games in aot through voobly but if i look through my name it shows that i have not played even a single game how is that???
Link | Reply | Quote
 +[OB_]ChronoJJ

Posted 14 March 2014 - 6:28 pm
You need to make sure the game is rated.

In the lobby, games that have stars next to them are rated! (look in the "GR" column)
If you are hosting, click on settings, and make sure the box next to rated game is checked.
Link | Reply | Quote
 adneycandy

Edited 16 April 2016 - 8:27 am by adneycandy
If i look through my name it shows that i have not played even a single game how is that???

== [You must login to view link] ==
Link | Reply | Quote
 +BlackAdder_

Posted 7 April 2016 - 7:09 pm
adneycandy wrote:
If i look through my name it shows that i have not played even a single game how is that???

waleeed

The stats register only rated games, ie games played on some rated ladder.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 12 out of 12 posts