Valar Morghulis

Postwarlight

Posted 7 October 2010 - 9:46 pm
This isn't on the map pack? It probably should be. Very cool blood map with no store.

[You must login to view link]

Link | Reply | Quote
 stolemysleep

Posted 9 October 2010 - 8:10 pm
The name is too cultured (A Song of Ice and Fire are great novels) rename it to Killz Blood and we can have it in map pack. =)
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ViCiouS]____Tom____

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:19 am
Andy should have used a different name. ASoIaF deserved better.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Impeached

Edited 10 October 2010 - 3:09 am by Impeached
Haha, I probably did use a too cultured name.

As I see it there are 3 choices when you name something:
1. Steal from George R.R. Martin and use Valar Morghulis
2. Use a plain and boring name, like Team Blood, or Castle Blood Auto, or something. I guess in this case.. Forces Blood? I dunno.
3. Use some jargon name. Voobly did this. Maybe I could name it Ikthube, or Jelfnibbidy.

edit: Actually, I really like Jelfnibbidy. I now want to go make a silly map and call it Jelfnibbidy :D
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ViCiouS]GoogleMaps

Posted 10 October 2010 - 5:51 pm
This map isn't part of the map pack because the map is not even for all players, in order to be in the map pack every player has to have an equal opportunity to win. Although this might be a great map and I love the old name and new one, it still isn't even enough to be part of our ratings system.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Impeached

Edited 10 October 2010 - 7:52 pm by Impeached
Googles I disagree with your views on balance. Look at the game Starcraft, for example. They go for balance not through cloning but through everyone having unique strengths and weaknesses.

I currently am working in game developing and this is how we do balance, too. Age of Empires II successfully achieved 'cloning' balance, but there are others ways to do it, too.

And with Valar, since it's a team game, when you have 4vs4, no one has a clear advantage. Any one player's weaknesses are amplified by an ally.

Read this review by Mashek about Valar Morghulis for more thoughts:
[You must login to view link]
Quote:
BALANCE: (5.0) -
This category is rated differently according to other files not designed to field more than one player. From the guidelines, quote, "Each human player should start out in a position of approximately the same strength, with an equal chance of winning provided the skill of the players is equal. Obviously, the players' positions don't have to match exactly, but they should be balanced. There are many creative ways that designers can make each player different, yet still balanced." The design manages this almost perfectly, however I thought that there were a few players lacking the ideal starting positions of other playersโ€™, or featuring less impregnable towns as others, such as the barbarian tribe to the north and centre โ€“ however, these were generally balanced off with other features, such as inaccessible units that provide great defence, or stronger units all-round.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Rambit

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:00 am
I can't remember the map too well but talking to impeached earlier he said bases are selected at the start of the game rather than being pre-designated to players. This means it falls into the same category of CBA, where it is 100% fair when the start button is pressed, but once the game starts certain players would be advantaged.

Also, perhaps shorten the name to just 'Valar'
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ViCiouS]____Tom____

Edited 11 October 2010 - 4:26 pm by [ViCiouS]____Tom____
The term means 'All Men Must Die.' Shortening it would lose that meaning.

You should make a Valar Dohaeris map, Andy lol.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Impeached

Posted 11 October 2010 - 9:01 pm
We already have Dohaeris. See wonder race game mode
Link | Reply | Quote
 Rambit

Posted 11 October 2010 - 9:35 pm
Quote:
The term means 'All Men Must Die.' Shortening it would lose that meaning.
It would be somewhat of a comprimise. The new word type idea orignating from something.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Impeached

Posted 12 October 2010 - 1:21 am
I'd rather just completely change the name than use 'Valar' or 'Morghulis'. How about Ikthube, as mentioned earlier?
Or Jelfnibbidy ...
Link | Reply | Quote
 Rambit

Posted 12 October 2010 - 7:57 am
Those 2 words aren't easy to spell or even read, valar is perfect IMO - short, simple and memorable.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Impeached

Posted 12 October 2010 - 4:08 pm
Ok I guess.. Valar just doesn't seem right to me because I've read the books. But most people will like it
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ViCiouS]GoogleMaps

Posted 13 October 2010 - 8:00 am
HBO SERIES COMING OUT SOON!
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ViCiouS]____Tom____

Posted 13 October 2010 - 8:35 pm
NEXT SPRING. I'm stoked.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 15 posts