Data Mod Multiplayer Problem

[Bob_]Yllovanea

Edited 15 August 2016 - 9:20 am by [Bob_]Yllovanea
Hello,

I'm having a problem with a Voobly mod I'm creating: It's working correctly if I start Voobly in singleplayer mode, but in multiplayer mode it's not working correctly (both against AI and real players who have the mod installed). It seems the trouble is with some specific attributes in the unit graphics section which are being ignored or misinterpreted somehow.
Has anyone had similar issues, perhaps an idea that could help?
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MM]Gallas

Posted 15 August 2016 - 2:38 pm
Hi,

Is the "Including graphics" [X] or [_] ?
Did you copied the changes for all civs?
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Bob_]Yllovanea

Edited 15 August 2016 - 3:16 pm by [Bob_]Yllovanea
Hey,
yes - it's set to automatically copy the changes, including graphics, to all civs.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MM]Gallas

Posted 15 August 2016 - 3:55 pm
Try turn off your Visual mods.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Bob_]Yllovanea

Posted 15 August 2016 - 5:30 pm
I turned off all visual mods, sadly the problem remained.

I'll attach an example .dat here so you perhaps can reproduce the issue.
The .dat is basically a fresh 1.0c version where I modified the following attributes:
Code:
Unit 442 (Galleon) changed Frame Delay from 0 to 7 Unit 21 (War Galley) changed Frame Delay from 0 to 7 Graphic 3885 (Galleon's attack) changed Unit Speed Modifier from 1 to 0 Graphic 4009 (War Galley's attack) changed Sequence Type from 2 to 3

If you wonder why I touched those two graphic attributes, it's because Frame Delay won't work unless USM is 0 and ST is 3, I don't know why that is.

Anyway, if you use this .dat in Voobly's singleplayer mode everything works fine: Both war galley and galleon shoot their projectiles with a slight delay. If you use the .dat in multiplayer though, war galleys fire instantly (without delay), and galleons do not fire any projectiles at all.
It is very confusing to me why the changes work in singleplayer but not in multiplayer..
Attachments:
empires2_x1_p1.dat (file size: 908.13 KB)
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MM]Gallas

Edited 15 August 2016 - 6:34 pm by [MM]Gallas
You must login into Voobly to view image

I have no idea why it is behaving as this.
Not much stuff I know which works in SP but not in MP (in regular editor there is a lot like see/target object trigger), but in data editing it's rare.
When made Age of Galactica I had a huge problem with planet generating, because it worked well in SP, but in MP it made synch error, so be careful when trying new things.

Actually, I try to avoid touching Sequence Type, because it can cause bugs like this. Unit Speed Modifier works well when the unit have walk+run graphics too (wolf example). Attack delay also have not problem if the number is less than the number of frames (maybe this is the problem?).

Try to ask around on [You must login to view link]. They may know the reason behind this.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Bob_]Yllovanea

Edited 15 August 2016 - 7:59 pm by [Bob_]Yllovanea
Alright, thanks a lot for the help! :)
I've made a post in the AGE3 thread at heavengames two days ago also, so I'm still hoping for replies there.

Yep, frame delay causes a problem when it's higher than #frames. This I noticed f.e. in the feudal galley case, where there's just one frame. In galleon / war galley case though they have more than 7 frames, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Bob_]Yllovanea

Posted 15 August 2016 - 7:58 pm
By the way, do you know what Unit Speed Modifier and Sequence Type are initially meant to do?
The AGE3 tooltips weren't very helpful there, and Tapsa also didn't have more information.
I didn't really see any difference in the unit behavior (except for Frame delay working or not working).
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MM]Gallas

Edited 15 August 2016 - 9:12 pm by [MM]Gallas
Unit Speed Modifier used when the unit have walk+run graphics too (wolf example), but dunno much about Sequence Type.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Bob_]Yllovanea

Posted 15 August 2016 - 9:31 pm
Okay.
After some more tests I am now rather sure that the problem is Voobly.. one time I start a game everything works, another time when I start it (under same conditions, same .dat file) it doesn't work. Meeh.
Link | Reply | Quote
 ['RB']nhoobish

Posted 15 August 2016 - 9:41 pm
Voobly server injects own files to prevent .dat cheating and .dll cheating. I had a similar issue with my first mod, cannot remember what I did to get it working, sorry.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Bob_]Yllovanea

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:40 pm
Okay.. in case you still manage to remember it, would be a great help :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 23RaidingParty

Edited 16 August 2016 - 4:38 am by 23RaidingParty
try to ask http://www.voobly.com/profile/view/123531941
he's a programmer who has reverse engineered parts of the game
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Bob_]Yllovanea

Posted 20 August 2016 - 3:59 pm
I figured out now that Voobly doesn't like a modification of existing graphic IDs. I therefore made copies of those graphics to new IDs, modified them there, and linked the units to the new graphics. So far it seems to work.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MM]Gallas

Edited 20 August 2016 - 4:12 pm by [MM]Gallas
I figured out now that Voobly doesn't like a modification of existing graphic IDs. I therefore made copies of those graphics to new IDs, modified them there, and linked the units to the new graphics. So far it seems to work.
Yes. This was made to prevent abuses in matches where mods (specially private visusal mods) are not allowed to use. I always use own ids for my .slp and .wav files and not just because this, but also can avoid confront with other visual mods which not supported by my game mod.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]2
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 16 posts