Abnormal lag and PC freezing

joacker

Posted 2 December 2016 - 11:26 pm
Hi,

This is for Aoe 1. When I play in 1v1, my computer is slowing down a lot (even the mouse is freezing every 5 secs). I tested a party vs. the computer, and it was all fine (even with big population and all). I know this computer is suited for an old game like Aoe (I could play up to Tombraider 7 without problems).

I have also another strange problem : despite my port forwarding being ok (diagnostic test shows all is fine, ping is around 40 ms and people are not fp to me) I cannot play more than 1 person or else the game is lagging as hell (almost freezing).

Note : If I resign (when I play vs.more than 1 player), then the game stop lagging despite me still being in the game and seeing it all. It becomes perfectly fluid, so I guess it's not about speed connection.

Any idea what it is about ? Thanks in advance.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +sunny@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 3 December 2016 - 10:17 am
Please run a speedtest on speedtest.net. Once done, click on the share button and post the link in here.

Link | Reply | Quote
 joacker

Posted 4 December 2016 - 9:34 pm
Look, I know it's not that, I have a pretty good connection. If it was the speed, I would not download movies at 7mb/sec. I play without problems with others outside of voobly for years.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +sunny@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 5 December 2016 - 11:18 am by +sunny@voobly
You could have made it much simpler by providing the speedtest results. Not that I doubt your connection but you have to understand that such cases are not as easy as following scripted steps. We have to rule out one possibility at a time. That said, the speedtest is just one part of the story. Having a fast internet connection does not guarantee stability. It is still likely that you are loosing connection intermittently.

If your game works fine while playing offline and lags only when playing on Voobly, you have to isolate the problem to figure out what is causing the lag. Preliminary guesses would be a firewall, antivirus blocking access to Voobly, make sure you rule that out.

Additionally do make sure no one is using your wifi and that you are not downloading anything, then launch the game and test again.

Lastly try hosting a single player game on Voobly (play the game on Voobly with computer opponents). See if its still lagging.
Link | Reply | Quote
 joacker

Edited 5 December 2016 - 5:58 pm by joacker
Erh... you realize I have answered almost all that in my first post ? I repeat : 1v1 on voobly is ok for the connection (besides the pc freezing) . Only multiplayer is affected by a lag that cannot be due to slow connection because my ping are great with the players (between 30 and 50 ms).
I don't think it's intermittent loss, because everything in the multi game goes normal when I resign (but I am still in the game watching everything). Also, I didn't say I played at home offline but online (direct ip) with friends and all is normal. I checked if I had downloads, closed all and it's still the same. Actually, my connection is so good that I can play in 1v1 without being slowed down by a download.

I insist again, it's not only the connection that is slow, but everything is freezing (mouse itself moves slowly). I hear the PC's fan working at maximum as if a huge task was required.

Edit : I played without firewall once, the problem remained.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 5 out of 5 posts