Input Lag in SP game

InZaGH1_

Posted 4 December 2016 - 3:50 am
I am facing real lag even in SP game at voobly, not facing it in SPO game in AOE2 HD at all. Infact it is so much smoother on AOE 2HD in SP games.

I am using a Voobly compatibility patch to play at Voobly,. I have AOE2HD from Steam.

I have tried everything from setting up the options in the Game Room to port forwarding, changing mouse USB slots, disabling Norton AV, reinstalling AOE2HD, and voobly client (twice) but it has not worked, unfortunately making the game unplayable for me at voobly. It is impacting me in multiplayer games too. (Spent more than 20 hours trying to fix this and trying to find a solution on the net)

O/S: Windows 10 (64 bit)
PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core (TM) i7-4790k
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 470
Internet: 25MBPS download speeds (confirmed via [You must login to view link])

I have seen players streaming not facing this issue, so I am assuming that this is local to me.

Can someone please help me and let me know what I am doing wrong?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Fabby

Edited 5 December 2016 - 3:53 pm by Fabby
Hi welcome to tech support.
It sounds like it's working fine offline but online it's lagging badly whether against the computer or humans try the steps in the folowing solution and tell us how it goes:
http://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/253679

Can you also please copy and paste the results of the game diagnostics and network diagnostics,you can find them in the game lobby by going to Options section in the top left navigation row in the game lobby.
Link | Reply | Quote
 InZaGH1_

Posted 7 December 2016 - 12:00 am
Thanks Fabby for your response, y9ou are right I am facing the issue when playing 1v1 with AI online connected to the voobly servers.

I think I solved much of it by installing the original AoC version from CD and linking Voobly to it. I have ditched the compatibility patch.

However I could not find a way to disable DirectDraw in Windows 10 (did disable Hardware accelearation in Voobly GameRoom). I am using nVidia GTX 970 as my video card.

Any idea how I can disable DirectDraw? Opening dxdiag.exe in Windows 10 (64 bit) did not help as disabling those options is not allowed from the diagnostic tool. (I did try dxtool.exe as well but nothing happened when I executed the program.

Is it an option in nVidia GEForce control panel? Searched a lot but could not figure it out.

I do still get a turtle for the first minute of the game, after that it settles down. Not sure if this is expected.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Fabby

Edited 7 December 2016 - 1:10 am by Fabby
It's weird it laggs with HD version (did you buy the game from steam?)and not so much with CD version.

The turtle means your computer is working in the backround like windows updates or anti virus scan.
Have you added the game and voobly to windows firewall?
http://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1035+How+to+configure+Windows+Firewall+to+play+on+Voobly
Disabling norton won't help you need to allow the game and voobly through Norton if it has a firewall as well.
You could try removing Norton , test and see if it is the culprit.

btw did you instal any recent nvidia video driver?
Link | Reply | Quote
 InZaGH1_

Posted 7 December 2016 - 3:15 am
Yes I bought the HD version on steam, I got the CD version installed now.

Since I have Norton AV my firewall is handled by Norton and not by Windows. I had them added to the exception list, see attached screenshots.

yes I keep my nVidia driver upto date, attaching the screenshot. Current version is 376.19

The turtle is always only for the first minute and then it disappears and game runs smoother. It is consistent and there are no Window updates or Scans running in the background.

I have attached the screenshot of DX Diagnostic tool, it does not allow me to disable DirectDraw on Windows 10. Would you know how to disable it on Windows 10?

Attachments:
Aoe Exception to AV.jpg (file size: 96 KB)
Voobly Exception to AV.jpg (file size: 59.46 KB)
dxdiag.jpg (file size: 90.11 KB)
nVidia Driver.jpg (file size: 47.53 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 Fabby

Posted 7 December 2016 - 7:34 pm
It doesn't seem possible to disable it in like previous versions of windows and it depends also on your video card manufacturer ,so you need to play with the nvidia control panel settings and try disable hardware rendering.
This is only if you want to use the hd version with compatibility patch otherwise if you use the cd version then your lagg problem seems to be solved.
Nvidia links:
[You must login to view link]

Regards.
Link | Reply | Quote
 InZaGH1_

Posted 9 December 2016 - 8:43 am
Yeah can't turn it off, but I think things are much better. Thanks for your help.
Link | Reply | Quote
 InZaGH1_

Posted 11 December 2016 - 3:40 am
I think I found a way to turn off hardware acceleration in Windows 10. Here is the link you can use as a step by step process to do so.

Although the link says Windows 8, I believe it works on Windows 10 as well.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Fabby

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:23 pm
If you have that option on your system then you could try and test it and let us know.
Link | Reply | Quote
 InZaGH1_

Posted 15 December 2016 - 2:21 am
I can confirm that I was able to disble directdraw through this on Windows 10, but not sure if it has helped AOE performance in MP games.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Fabby

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:13 pm
Thanks for letting us know.
The only way to know if it helped or not would be by using the aoe2HD version (your original post) and not the CD version.
This would mean you would have to reinstal the steam game or uninstal the classic version so that Voobly detects the steam version.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 11 out of 11 posts