AoC performance issues

[TheJedi]Genette

Edited 11 December 2016 - 6:40 pm by [TheJedi]Genette
[BoRT]mfc_ wrote:
My aoe lags. GPU doesn't accelerate it. If I do alt+f5 ingame, I see low framerates.

I have installed the game perfectly with the latest userpatch (I did this at least 20 times before and made many people do it, I know how to install it correctly)

I have the latest drivers, DirectX9.0c end user runtimes, direcftPlay. Win10 or Win8.1 (I installed win8.1 just to see if aoe works on it)

Specs: Desktop PC with
processor: 5820k intel haswell-e i7
gpu: nvidia titan x maxwell
motherboard: asus x99-a ii
16gb ram, ssd, single monitor

Does anyone else have similar specs and had similar problems?
Just an idea: let me know, if this helped or not

Go to your AoE2 folder (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\), open the SaveGame folder and remove files you don't need anymore. Second and more importantly, now go to go C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\SaveGame\Multi and remove all files except for Multi.txt.

Other performance tweaks would require more detailed descriptions, so let's try the easy ones first.

Source: http://aoc.voobly.com/display/vkb/Knowledge+Base
[BoRT]mfc_ wrote:
Go to your AoE2 folder (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\), open the SaveGame folder and remove files you don't need anymore. Second and more importantly, now go to go C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\SaveGame\Multi and remove all files except for Multi.txt.
This didn't do anything. It is a clean install anyways, nothing much was there.
Other performance tweaks would require more detailed descriptions, so let's try the easy ones first.

Source: http://aoc.voobly.com/display/vkb/Knowledge+Base
I have tried all voobly directX tweak combinations and none helped.
Compatibility up to xp sp2, nope.
Disable high dpi scaling, nope (100% dpi anyways)
Disable hardware acceleration on/off, nope.
render 32-bit, force desktop resolution, windowed mode, move window to 0px x 0px, none fixed.
command bar position set as Userpatch, doesn't affect.

Seems like a hard nut to crack, can you take over, guys? Thx
Link | Reply | Quote
 +arslan

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:37 pm
Hi [BoRT]mfc_,

If you are experiencing fps drop or low performance then common Reasons could be :

1- Outdated Graphics Drivers
Try Updating from Nvidia Official Website ([You must login to view link])

2- Full PC Virus Scan
Try any FREE AV (Panda AV or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware)

3- BIOS Update => Be Careful when you do it
Try to update your BIOS from official website ([You must login to view link])

I hope this helps.

Regards.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [BoRT]mfc_

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:15 am
1) Already updated.
2) It is a fresh install of windows 10 and windows defender already sits on it. Also I did, just for aoe, install win8.1 freshly and without installing anything else than basic drivers and directx, aoe still lagged exact same way.
3) I also updated my bios with the latest firmware from asus website and it didnt help sadly.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +arslan

Posted 12 December 2016 - 1:59 am
First of all Windows Defender is not an effective tool against latest malware. You should scan your Full PC with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (worked for me as it reduced my fps drops).

1- Try to run the game in Lower Resolution (e.g. 800x600) and see if there is any Difference in performance

2- Under NVidia's control Panel, try to set the Power Management mode to 'prefer maximum performance'.

3- Run the game in Compatibility mode (Windows 7).

4- In Rare cases it is hardware incompatibility which results in such low performance. If such FPS drops are also occurring in other Games as well try to Change your Processor.

Source : [You must login to view link]
Link | Reply | Quote
 [BoRT]mfc_

Posted 12 December 2016 - 2:20 am
0) It's a fresh install of windows 10, there is no way a malware got in because I haven't downloaded even anything yet. Not going to install an antivirus on my computer, living without them since 2007. As I have said in previous post, I have also done it with a fresh install of win8.1 that means this is not a malware problem.

1) In 800x600 it has t1000/f66 and it gradually gets lower as resolution increases and it ends up around t32/f25. (t=tickrate f=framerate with alt+f5 in game)

2) I did that and it didnt change anything.

3) It was stated on top post that I have tried compability settings one by one until xp sp2. The older ones didn't even show menu screen:p

4) try to change my processor? no, I have been saving up for this build for a long time and I cannot afford such a thing sorry. 5820k is a 6core haswell-e processor.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [TheJedi]Genette

Posted 12 December 2016 - 2:44 am
[BoRT]mfc_ wrote:
0) It's a fresh install of windows 10

Just throwing this in: Please make sure you have ALL the latest windows updates installed.

I'm sure we'll be able to get to the bottom of this.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [BoRT]mfc_

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:57 am
Just throwing this in: Please make sure you have ALL the latest windows updates installed.

I'm sure we'll be able to get to the bottom of this.

Installed all the updates yet it still is same.

So, after deleting wndmode.dll from age2_x1 folder and applying these compatibility settings on age2_x1.exe
it works well if I open it by double clicking that .exe file. But, If I try to launch game with voobly, voobly overrides the compatibility settings I have applied and it will run slow again.

You must login into Voobly to view image

Compatibility Administrator comes with windows 10 kits [You must login to view link]

So, I would kindly ask voobly devs to implement those flags or not override them so I can play aoe2 on voobly.

Also, although those flags solve the speed problem, it comes with a down side, I cannot play with windowed mode. That means aoe allocates fullscreen In menus and It becomes a hassle to manage:p
Link | Reply | Quote
 +sunny@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:25 am
Can you please open the task manager and check for CPU, Memory, Disk and Network usage. If any of these four shoots to max levels, let us know. If the stats are normal, check the results after you start the game.

P.S: Good PC configuration ;1thumbup
Link | Reply | Quote
 [TheJedi]Genette

Edited 12 December 2016 - 1:25 pm by [TheJedi]Genette
"wndmode.dll" tells me you installed userpatch (as you said initially), "age2_x1.exe" makes me wonder: did you follow scripter's guide to be able to use UserPatch both offline & on Voobly?
Quote:
Alternate Install (create a separate "age2_x1.4.exe", which is best for Voobly players)
1. Extract "SetupAoC.exe" into your "Age of Empires II" folder.
2. Run "SetupAoC.exe" (admin privileges may be required).
3. Select the feature checkboxes to install.
4. Uncheck the "Port forwarding support" checkbox.
5. Hold the Ctrl+Alt keys and click "Install".
source: [You must login to view link]

--
About Compatibility Administrator: Seems like the version you linked was discontinued. Latest version of Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK, which includes compat. admin tool) can be found here: [You must login to view link]
Link | Reply | Quote
 [BoRT]mfc_

Posted 12 December 2016 - 5:47 pm
+sunny@voobly wrote:
Can you please open the task manager and check for CPU, Memory, Disk and Network usage. If any of these four shoots to max levels, let us know. If the stats are normal, check the results after you start the game.
before aoe, mainly idle pc:

after voobly aoe which lags:

It used that "cpu 7" core, it went down after I alt-tabbed out.

All normal.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [BoRT]mfc_

Posted 12 December 2016 - 5:49 pm
"wndmode.dll" tells me you installed userpatch (as you said initially), "age2_x1.exe" makes me wonder: did you follow scripter's guide to be able to use UserPatch both offline & on Voobly?

Yeah, that's how I always install userpatch. Because otherwise, voobly overwrites the original age2_x1.exe that pure userpatch uses and puts Voobly's own exe.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [TheJedi]Genette

Edited 12 December 2016 - 6:10 pm by [TheJedi]Genette
Alright thx for clarifying. As you know, we need to narrow the issue down here. Together we'll fix this, I'm positive.

Since you have the "K" version of the i7, have you tried running AoC with the IGP instead of your dedicated GPU or vice versa? Also, would you feel comfortable adding commandline parameters in the registry, if I typed a short guide?
Link | Reply | Quote
 [BoRT]mfc_

Posted 12 December 2016 - 6:47 pm
Since you have the "K" version of the i7, have you tried running AoC with the IGP instead of your dedicated GPU or vice versa? Also, would you feel comfortable adding commandline parameters in the registry, if I typed a short guide?
5820k doesn't have an internal gpu. I don't mind that.
Also, at this point this issue is propagating in 3 parallels.
1) here
2) nvidia tech support Mr. Sanjib: [You must login to view link]
3) intensive aoc userpatch troubleshooting with scripter64 himself on #federationofkings (thanks to him I can at least play aoc over hamachi with friends.) Also last thing he said
Quote:
[08:24:49] <scripter16> I'll look into some stuff and let you know soon
[08:25:06] <scripter16> for now, maybe let voobly people know which flags help it
[08:25:17] <scripter16> they might be able to add another menu option
[08:25:25] <scripter16> to run the game with those
[08:25:30] <scripter16> instead of trying to override
[08:25:36] <scripter16> brb :'D

So I came here with those compatibility flags.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [TheJedi]Genette

Edited 12 December 2016 - 7:44 pm by [TheJedi]Genette
Ok, my bad about the 5820K. Should have looked it up instead of just going with my memory.

Personally I'm not an expert with these compatibility flags. Hope other staff can suggest something here. Have you tried [You must login to view link] like "SystemMemory", for example? I was told it should help with performance issues on newer systems.

In the registry, find: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectPlay\Applications\Age of Empires II - The Conquerors Expansion // select key "CommandLine" and edit the value "Lobby" to "Lobby SystemMemory".

screenshot: [You must login to view link]
Link | Reply | Quote
 [BoRT]mfc_

Edited 12 December 2016 - 8:03 pm by [BoRT]mfc_
Personally I'm not an expert with these compatibility flags. Hope other staff can suggest something here. Have you tried [You must login to view link] like "SystemMemory", for example? I was told it should help with performance issues on newer systems.

In the registry, find: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectPlay\Applications\Age of Empires II - The Conquerors Expansion // select key "CommandLine" and edit the value "Lobby" to "Lobby SystemMemory".

screenshot: [You must login to view link]

Yes, I've tried that.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]2
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 30 posts