Weird fps problem in Age of Empires 2.

DarkJnb

Edited 25 December 2016 - 11:45 pm by DarkJnb
The game works fine in multiplayer, no problems. This happens only when i play singleplayer with the 1.4 RC userpatch. My PC is decent (i5 6600 & GTX 1070) so i think the problem is within the patch somewhere. I dont know why but it seems that when i use heavy cavarly archers to attack a house, where a lot of fire arrows are being thrown, my fps drops from a solid 62 to mid 30s .... The game works fine 99% of the time tho. I mean this shouldnt happen right ?
Are there some nvidia settings i must select or use, i do use the high perfomance option. Are there some known background aplications that could cause this ?
Nvidia drivers are the latest, so is Windows 10, all C++ versions from 2005 to 2015 (86x & 64x). I dont know what else to do. I really like to have a lot of cavarly archers :D. This happened in the late game vs 3 computers in Singleplayer. Can someone with windows 10 and a nvidia gpu please test this. And if it works fine, could you share your settings so i can test ? Thank you.
~jnB
-PS: i didnt start voobly to play singleplayer, i opened age2_x1.exe and selected the 1.4 patch in the list.
Link | Reply | Quote
 IceFrog

Edited 26 December 2016 - 12:37 am by IceFrog
Hello, Try these methods:
First make sure that you running game on administrator.

Second try to run game in compatible way :

Right-click the Age of empire 2 (age2_x1.exe) icon, select Properties, and then select the Compatibility tab.

Select one or more of the settings (see below for more info).

If you want to apply the settings for that program to all accounts on the PC, select Change settings for all users.
Administrator permission required
You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

When you're done, select OK.
If that didn't work, try to run the game using your integrated GPU and see if the problem persists. (right click --> run with graphic processor --> Integrated Graphics).
Link | Reply | Quote
 DarkJnb

Edited 26 December 2016 - 1:01 am by DarkJnb
I dont have the option to select the integrated graphics. Compatiblity settings i have are Win XP2, start with administrator and High DPI scaling.
So i reinstalled Age of Empires 2 with the tutorial i found on this forum. I did notice that in nvidia global settings i have enabled fastsync which reduces tearing. I disabled that for now. I went into the Voobly folder and selected the same compatibility settings for aoc/age2_x1.exe and aoc/userpatch/age2_x1.exe. Also i'll select the recomended settings in Voobly.
I heard i need to play singleplayer with Voobly, is that true ?
Before, i have manually downloaded UserPatch 1.4 and installed it. Then I used Voobly again to download the patch to install it and used the same game setup path. Maybe that was the problem. I'll report tomorrow how it works.
Link | Reply | Quote
 IceFrog

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:48 pm
Glad to hear it works.
And its recommended to play single player on Voobly to have the mods you downloaded , you won't have
them if you opened the game without Voobly. Although the game-itself should function normally without Voobly.
Link | Reply | Quote
 DarkJnb

Posted 26 December 2016 - 2:26 pm
ok so now i tested it again vs 7 AI and only cavarly archers, like 100 of them, i wasnt getting that issue anymore. I guess reinstalling and optimizing nvidia settings fixed it. Thanks for you help !

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 5 out of 5 posts