Network Connection Error [Code: 10000001].

DevilZ_Mantis

Edited 17 January 2017 - 11:39 pm by DevilZ_Mantis
I was a 3 year old Netgear with computer on wireless, had no problems for 3 years... but needed to upgrade to 5G wireless.

Upgraded to a TP-Link AC7500 5G modem/router. Installed a new wireless adapter too to take advantage of speed. This is what i've done:

1. Disabled all firewalls on router and on computer.
2. Place computer on DMZ
3. Deleted Voobly and reinstalled client.
4. Tried different ports 15000 and 16000

I get intermittent Network Connection Error [Code: 10000001]. During a 10min game, during a 1hr game, while waiting in lobby... SOMETIMES it goes all day without any error. Both Aoe/Ror games/lobbies having problems. Many players are saying it's voobly as they are getting disc too.. but others say no it's fine. I am West Coast USA. In the past 5 days, I see players are getting disc midgame too but I am experiencing it the most. As soon as disconnection happens during game, I would alt-tab out and check if my internet web browser is fine and it is. I'm able to surf but games still disconnects.

Any suggestions will help. I don't want to go back to old network router.
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Posted 18 January 2017 - 2:01 am
hi
redo your router firewalls, they should not be the problem. redo your pc firewall [should only be one. check] and allow voobly/game thro'. disable DMZ its a dangerous place.
this is a guide to setting up that router. you only need port 16000udp:
[You must login to view link] apply/save. check the port is open [link at bottom of guide]
from options at the top of a lobby, do the network diagnostic and show here.
is this router connected to the net solely by 5g or dsl? [5g is still a phone connection and subject to interference.]
Link | Reply | Quote
 DevilZ_Mantis

Posted 18 January 2017 - 2:30 am
Hi thank you for reply. It's the 5G wireless adapters that gives 1.3G-1.6G of LAN connection not 5G internet. I found out the problem!! The new TP-Link cable Modem/Router was overheating! With all the technologies, why don't they have an overheating error message when i log into the router. So dumb! Anyways, I let it cool down... restarted it and no more packet losses. It was losing packets by 15% when it was overheated.
Link | Reply | Quote
 DevilZ_Mantis

Edited 18 January 2017 - 3:54 am by DevilZ_Mantis
Hello. I guess this is good advice for all Networking Issues. Always put a router behind the Internet Modem/Router. If you have a computer that's filled with malware and viruses, it will overload the Internet modem/router. This will cause a a drop in internet connections as it pegs your internet hardware. If you have a router behind the internet/cable/dsl modem/router... your internet is safe and compromised computers will only peg your Inside router. This was what was happening with mine. Once I place a router behind my new Internet WAN TP-Link modem/router, packets no longer dropped.

So best scenerio is

WAN Internet modem/router ----> LAN router ----> Computer connections
Link | Reply | Quote
 +sunny@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 18 January 2017 - 9:36 am by +sunny@voobly
Apologies for the long post however, I just couldn't resist replying :P

You raised some very interesting points so I will add some clarification to it.

Most modern day routers can transmit on dual frequencies (2.4GHz and 5GHz). If your wireless device does support 5Ghz broadcast, it is highly recommended that you use that channel as your network preference. Here are some top reasons why you should do so:

1. General peripherals (example: your wireless mice and keyboard) along with other utilities (microwaves for Instance) use the 2.4Ghz spectrum to communicate. Ofc a microwave does not communicate but it does send radiations in that spectrum. Case in point being this spectrum is quite contested and at times this affects your wifi signal quality (especially if you have a lot of these devices in the vicinity of your router/modem) thereby degrading the signal strength and is one of the lead causes of signal drop (aka packet loss).

2. The 5Ghz spectrum uses low power since there isn't much interference here and can therefore reduce heating issues drastically.

3.If the wifi device is situated at a place where there is significant physical obstruction (example: walls, cabinets, etc) as opposed to open space, you will certainly benefit from using the 5GHz spectrum. This however is not much noticeable if your router is situated within 1 or 2 metres of your computer.

Other than that the 5Ghz spectrum will also help for LAN communications example: file transfers over your LAN, multiplayer LAN gaming etc.

All that said, there are a lot of speculations on this topic and although these are tech facts, the ground reality experience may be slightly different and can vary from one user to another.

The next important point worth discussing is the presence of a router adding to some level of security. While this is true since modern day routers are equipped with several features that can help filter malicious traffic, it certainly cannot filter malwares, adwares, spywares or viruses. I also completely disagree with the requirement of 2 routers in tandem setup (one after the other). Not only is this setup redundant but will also cause a lot of problems for devices that communicate over fixed protocols and/or ports. DSL connections however, may require a modem which is inevitable and therefore a modem + router combo is acceptable.

Change your routers password (if you haven't already), make sure the router is not publicly accessible, ensure you have an up to date antivirus, antimalware and firewall program on your computer and you should be fine. Side note on DMZ, as Kitt mentioned, it's a serious security flaw. With DMZ enabled you are basically asking your router to allow all traffic to that computer (essentially rendering that routers ability to control traffic useless).

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 5 out of 5 posts