Community Forums > Voobly Support and Game Complaints Support > Game related Problems and Questions > Minimum CPU passmark for AOE1/AOE2? Do you use slow/old PC?

Minimum CPU passmark for AOE1/AOE2? Do you use slow/old PC?

[8D]Riukas

Edited 12 February 2017 - 12:29 pm by [8D]Riukas
What is the minimum Passmark CPU Mark I need to run AOE1/AOE2 4v4 pop200 game smoothly at 1440x900 resolution (AOE HD)? (And does having a dedicated videocard influence it?)

Seems that that minimal passmark score is somewhere between 100 and 1000. Can we push it considerably below 1000? Specifically, what about Passmark 300? (Or 600?)
Passmark Benchmark list for reference: [You must login to view link]

Who of you is using similar resolutions on slower or older CPU/PC or laptop, like Pentium III Mobile or something a little better? Does it (not connection, but PC/CPU) lag for you? What CPU you have?

P.S. I meant here to ask about minimum config for just running the game (without streaming).
On another thread though, I also have another question about another minimum config for running the game and streaming: http://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/259897
Link | Reply | Quote
 Anik3t

Posted 12 February 2017 - 9:32 am
I have a very old PC Pentium 4 which I use when home to play. And it doesn't lags , but sometime when around 100+ units clash together it lags a bit like in DM first fight or CS clash. Otherwise its very good.
And AoC is a game which runs good even @ low performance PCs. :D
And I don't know much about the minimum requirement for this game -.-'
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MM]Gallas

Edited 12 February 2017 - 10:22 am by [MM]Gallas
This is the old requirement (sources: [You must login to view link]):

Aoe1:
CPU: Pentium 90 or higher processor
RAM: 16 MB RAM
GPU: Local SVGA bus video display (with 1 MB VRAM)
OS: Microsoft Windows 95 operating system or Windows NT Workstation 4.0 with Service Pack 3
HDD: 80 MB of available hard disk space and 50 MB free disk space for swap file
Sound: Sound board plus speakers or headphones to hear audio
ODD: Quad speed CD-ROM drive - for cinematics, Double speed CD-ROM drive - for gameplay
NET: 28.8 Kbps modem for head-to-head play
Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Aoe2:
CPU: Multimedia PC with Pentium 166MHz or higher processor
RAM: 32 MB of RAM
GPU: Super VGA with 2 MB of video memory (VGA monitor supporting 800x600 resolution)
OS: Microsoft® Windows® 95/98/Me/XP/NT 4.0 with service pack 5
HDD: 200 MB of hard disk space; additional 100 MB of hard disk space for swap file
Sound: Sound card, speakers or headphones required for audio
ODD: 4x speed or faster CD-ROM drive
NET: 56.6 Kbps or better modem for online play
Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

If you can run aoeHD, you should not have any problem:
CPU: 1.2GHZ CPU (I would suggest an Intel Core 2 Duo)
RAM: 1 GB RAM (2 GB could be better)
GPU: Direct X 9.0c Capable GPU with 900x600 minimum display resolution
OS: Windows Vista, 7, 8 Pro+ (normal AoC still runs fine on Xp)
HDD: 2 GB HD space (normal AoC needs much less, kinda around 0.5GB, but with mods may 1GB)

Aoe1 and 2 not really a videocard killer game. My Ati Radeon 9600XT ran it without any problem on high pop. If you want to invest to a PC for aoe, focus more on CPU than GPU.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Fabby

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:46 am
Multiplayer games ,you need your internet connection to also be running well, and if you want to stream remember that your computer cpu has to process the game and also stream in the background.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [8D]Riukas

Edited 12 February 2017 - 1:17 pm by [8D]Riukas
Thanks for your replies so far, guys. Yes, I meant running AOE HD. And I meant here to ask about minimum config for just running the game (without streaming).

On another thread though, I also have another question about another minimum config for running the game and streaming: http://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/259897
Link | Reply | Quote
 [8D]Riukas

Edited 12 February 2017 - 12:33 pm by [8D]Riukas
Thanks, Gallas! Are you guys sure that any Core 2 Duo would do the job well? I see some slow ones with passmark value around 500-600-700, for example Intel Core 2 Duo U25000 @ 1.20Ghz (passmark: 515).

Passmark Benchmark list: [You must login to view link]
[MM]Gallas wrote:
If you can run aoeHD, you should not have any problem:
CPU: 1.2GHZ CPU (I would suggest an Intel Core 2 Duo)
RAM: 1 GB RAM (2 GB could be better)
GPU: Direct X 9.0c Capable GPU with 900x600 minimum display resolution
OS: Windows Vista, 7, 8 Pro+ (normal AoC still runs fine on Xp)
Link | Reply | Quote
 [8D]Riukas

Edited 12 February 2017 - 1:46 pm by [8D]Riukas
Thanks for the reply, Anik3t. Can you please say more exactly what is the model of your Pentium 4 CPU? (And if there could be any other bottlenecks in your config, like little RAM, high OS version, internet speed, etc.?)
Or does it actually hit just the CPU? (task manager would show somewhere close to 100% cpu usage in such 8 player poplimit 200+ moving units per player AOE HD high resolution situations)

I'm trying to get the idea of what [You must login to view link] your cpu has, roughly. Where is that value a bit more exactly than just "between ~120 and ~490" (that's what I see minimum/maximum on the list for Pentium 4 CPUs).

Have you ever used your Pentium 4 PC to play AOE1/AOE2 on high resolution (e.g. 1440x900), like is on AOE HD?
Have you ever used it to play 8 player games with poplimit 200+ moving units per player?
Was it "CPU lagging" then?
Anik3t wrote:
I have a very old PC Pentium 4 which I use when home to play. And it doesn't lags , but sometime when around 100+ units clash together it lags a bit like in DM first fight or CS clash. Otherwise its very good.
And AoC is a game which runs good even @ low performance PCs. :D
And I don't know much about the minimum requirement for this game -.-'
Link | Reply | Quote
 Anik3t

Posted 12 February 2017 - 2:24 pm
Yep I use it to play 8 player games also and it works fine. But it lags when more than 100-150 units come in same frame together. That lag is not that much severe but can irritate a lag free 2.2k gamers :P But there is no effect of lag of whole game pop (like 2v2 or 4v4 doesnt matters) it only lags when too many untis come together in same frame. And if you start seeing somewhere else away from fight it fixes....
it is 1.8 GHz and had 256 mb ram (Now its 1 GB Upgraded ) , Windows XP sp2. But my internet is good.
My monitor is old with highest resolution suppoert 1024 X 768 -.-;'
Link | Reply | Quote
 Anik3t

Posted 12 February 2017 - 2:28 pm
And regarding minimum requirements of any game , any games minimum requirements are highly exaggerated , for example the requirement of GTA San andreas when i saw , I thought my pc will not support that , but when i tried playing it worked fine on my wooden pc rofl rofl
Completed all missions in 7 days ;weights but bad part GTA V don't runs on it -.-'
Link | Reply | Quote
 [8D]Riukas

Edited 12 February 2017 - 2:45 pm by [8D]Riukas
Anik3t wrote:
it is 1.8 GHz
Thanks, seems it is Passmark CPU Mark value around 160 then. I guess cpu lag could increase on AOE HD resolutions like 1440x900 though..

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 10 out of 10 posts