black screen on start up

Ubermode

Edited 2 April 2017 - 8:18 am by Ubermode
Hi guys,

I re-installed Age of Mythology yesterday for the first time in years (from AOM gold), but when I try and launch through voobly i get a black screen with the blue loading circle for a mouse pointer in the middle but with a completely incorrect resolution. If I try and launch AOM gold from the desktop it says I need to run as an admin, but when I do that nothing happens at all.

I've found a few fixes online, including adding this " xres=640 noSound noIntroCinematics bpp=16 window lowend terrainHalfDensity lowPoly waterbump skipMipMapLevels=1 graphicDetail=2 " (minus the ") to the target tab of my shortcut properties, but none of them have made a difference at all.

I've also tried reinstalling several times, but so far nothing has worked.

Any ideas?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Fabby

Posted 2 April 2017 - 1:40 pm
Hi, if its not working offline then its not a Voobly issue .
is it original CD game or download?, if you downloaded the game then it could be corrupt.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Ubermode

Posted 2 April 2017 - 8:18 pm
Hi, it's AOM gold from discs, but I have also tried just regular vanilla aom and then aot installed separately. Both work fine until I download the voobly add-on, then the regular shortcuts stop working and i get the issue outlined above :)

if i go into program files/microsoft games and try to open aomx.exe again, nothing happens but if i try with aomxnocd.exe after i have re-downloaded voobly, again i get the videos at start up but if i try and skip them, or let them play through, i then get the black screen at extremely zoomed in resolution as outlined above.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Fabby

Edited 4 April 2017 - 12:37 am by Fabby
What version of Windows are you using and what was the reason you uninstaled aom in the first place?
Did you also reinstal windows?
Voobly uses the aomxnocd.exe file so that you don't require the disks to be inserted while playing.
Make sure compatibility mode is active for aomxnocd.exe set it to windows xpsp3 ,right click aomxnocd.exe and go to properties, find compatibility option and also enable run as administrator .

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 4 out of 4 posts