Lag in first 4-7 minutes of any game

[xCs]PLO_Style

Edited 26 November 2017 - 4:51 pm by [xCs]PLO_Style
Good day. I have been having the same problem for over a year now. For every game I play, the first 4-7 minutes of the game are very laggy. Afterwards, the game proceeds normally.

Details of issue:-

>I join a full game room (8 players). After about a minute I type /ping and note that I have a stable connection with everyone;

>Host launches the game and we go into the Game Settings room. I note that it takes about a minute or two to establish a stable connection with about 3-5 of the 8 players in the Game Settings room;

>Host launches from the Game Settings room and all 8 players enter the game successfully. This is where my game play is disturbed the most by this issue. In the first 4-7 minutes of the game, there is very frequent stuttering (some friends have described this symptom as feeling like a "fast proxy issue"). It's not the kind of lag where the game is still playing but there is command-action delay. The lag I'm experiencing is one where the game just stops playing every few seconds. During this very irritating lag, I've spammed /ping in the game room to see how stable my connection is to the other players in the room and note that I have between 2000 ms and 6000 ms (sometimes higher) for around 4 players in the room, and <300 ms for the remaining players. After 4-7 minutes have passed, the game proceeds normally (that is, if the players weren't frustrated enough to Save and Exit or just resign) and /ping shows a stable connection with everyone (<300 ms).

Things I have done:-

I reinstalled the game through different torrents, played around with port forwarding (static IP, 16000 UDP, 2300-2400 UDP), hard reset my router, and deleted all recorded games and taunts. However, none of these helped solve the problem. (Note: I am not getting any fast proxy issues with other players)

Computer specs:-

- Windows 10
- ASUS X566UF
- i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59GHz
- 8 GB RAM
- 64-bit Operating System & processor
- NVIDIA GeForce 930M

Router/Internet specs:-

- D-Link 850L
- Between 50-60 mbps download speed; around 10-15 mbps upload speed (if necessary, I will send a screenshot of SpeedTest results when I get home)

I'd be seriously indebted to anyone who can solve this problem because I have not been able to play team games for as long as I've had this problem.

Thanks for your time!

EDIT (1):- It may be worth noting that my laptop has two internal hard drives, one which is almost at capacity (500 GB) and the other one completely empty.

EDIT (2):- After purchasing the game through Steam and installing the compatibility patch, I've played 3 games so far and the issue seems to have disappeared. This is very promising, but I will know for sure if this issue is solved after playing for a few days (unless one of you smartypants can confirm that the issue is solved). Thank you very much!
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MM]Gallas

Edited 26 November 2017 - 11:03 am by [MM]Gallas
I reinstalled the game through different torrents
I stopped reading at this part ;squinty

Please get an original copy of the game.

Here is an example where you can:
[You must login to view link] (today it's only 4.99eu)

And then follow this instructions:
https://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1054+Clean+installation+of+Aoe2HD+with+compatibility+patch
Link | Reply | Quote
 [xCs]PLO_Style

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:20 pm
Hello Gallas. Thanks for reading.

Glad you at least got to read the Details of issue section. Not sure if you know but a large majority of AoC players downloaded the game through torrents. In fact, I was sent a torrent link by one of your own tech support admins a few months back.

Anyway, I don't mind buying the game but is there a good chance it will solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +sunny@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 26 November 2017 - 12:25 pm by +sunny@voobly
In fact, I was sent a torrent link by one of your own tech support admins a few months back.

Who was the staff member?

Voobly does not endorse or encourage piracy and by extension the use of pirated softwares including games downloaded from illegitimate sources. The use of pirated softwares on your computer not only has a security risk but also inflicts you with the liabilities of a legal recourse.
For more information on Voobly's stance on piracy and the use of pirated applications, please refer to this article:
http://www.voobly.com/pages/view/69/Code-of-Conduct#Keep_It_Legal
I would suggest that you consider purchasing the game from an online store like Ebay/ Amazon/ Steam etc, or a local store if you have any.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [xCs]PLO_Style

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:31 pm
I don't remember.

I just purchased the game from Steam. I'll download it when I'm home and I will update this thread with the results (if it fixes my problem or not).

Thanks for your replies!
Link | Reply | Quote
 [xCs]PLO_Style

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:55 pm
Thanks guys. Will update in a few hours. Crossing my fingers!!
Link | Reply | Quote
 [xCs]PLO_Style

Posted 26 November 2017 - 4:52 pm
After purchasing the game through Steam and installing the compatibility patch, I've played 3 games so far and the issue seems to have disappeared. This is very promising, but I will know for sure if this issue is solved after playing for a few days (unless one of you smartypants can confirm that the issue is solved). Thank you very much!
Link | Reply | Quote
 [xCs]PLO_Style

Posted 26 November 2017 - 7:01 pm
<3 :)

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 8 out of 8 posts