Community Forums > Voobly Support and Game Complaints Support > Game related Problems and Questions > Fog of war flickering in aoeHD/aoc when forcing to large resolution

Fog of war flickering in aoeHD/aoc when forcing to large resolution

tooold

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:09 am
hi my native resolution is 3840x2160 - i get f**** in the fog of war portion of the man when i launch my game through voobly - it does not happen in single player when launching through steam (with updated grafix). If i make the resolution smaller lets say 2600x1580 the problem goes away
what is the solution?
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MM]Gallas

Posted 23 February 2018 - 7:12 am
hi tooold,

There is not much fix to this (as the screen scaling works in that way), but you can try with the suggested screen settings with windowed mode in 32bit colors.
Link | Reply | Quote
 tooold

Posted 23 February 2018 - 1:14 pm
not sure what you mean - windowed mode? do i try to play it in a window with my native res? there must be a fix of some kind - there is no issue at lower res, or are you saying that the higher res is somehow not compatible with the fog of war texture - everything else in the game works fine
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MM]Gallas

Posted 23 February 2018 - 2:03 pm
In screen settings you can click in the "Start in Window-mode"
Monitor's supported resolution (desktop resolution) is suggested yes, so it won't make it look like that.
Wrong settings adjusted compared to screen ratio causing this, example 16:9 res on 4:3 monitor.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [F0rk]Deathcounter_

Posted 23 February 2018 - 5:17 pm
Can confirm... happens to me also sometimes, but most of the time when i spectate or play CBA. When it occours fog of war shows up at spots where it can't be (most of the time fog of war appears near your own units, sometimes even hide them) causing a "f****ing". Gallas, i am pretty sure 90% of player with full HD and above resolution uses let windows choose the resolution, not the game and i am sure that many players play with 32-bit-colors. Why this bug occours, well i dont know.... it doesnt often occour, but when it does it's confusing and weird. I play with full HD resolution (1920 x 1080)
Link | Reply | Quote
 tooold

Posted 23 February 2018 - 6:43 pm
So, just so you guys understand - if i launch in windowed mode I will have this problem no matter what resolution I pick in the game - my guess its because its rendering a part of my full 3840x2160 resolution. if I go full screen its fine up to 2560x1600 but will f**** in the revealed fog of war section (its the kind of f**** you get when you look at a bad fluorescent bulb) - its limited to the "grey" semi transparent fog of war, rest of the game looks fine
Link | Reply | Quote
 WoodsmanBarBar

Posted 10 August 2018 - 2:19 am
i am also having this problem, was this ever solved?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +sunny@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:52 am
Apologies to everyone involved who did not get a response on this.

Window mode does not alter the in game resolution. All it does is loading the game in a specialized container whose initial bounds are preset to 1024 x 768 px. This helps in minimizing lags when you switch between applications. Once the game starts, you will fall back to your preset in game resolution.

As long as you are playing the game in your native desktop resolution you should not experience any f****ing whatsoever. Any modifications, in aspect ratio, custom screen resolution or display scaling can be a direct cause to your screen f****ing. Even UHD displays (2160px) would work fine as long as your display device and graphic adapters are in sync and support that resolution.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, I would be happy to have them answered.
Link | Reply | Quote
 ['NZ']N1K

Posted 30 January 2019 - 8:45 am
Hi, was there any fix to this issue, i am having the exact same problems but with 2560x1440 resolution.

The only work around i have found is:
The next resolution down 1920x1080 works when i untick "start in windowed mode". (and have the rest of the settings ticked under game settings like you would if trouble shooting)

But any other combination of settings and resolutions makes the fog f**** / turn a shade of green (Most forum posts point to hardware issue, but why then can i produce the correct colours on the resolution above?)

Also changing sharpness/brightness/contrast / monitor profiles only changes the shade or look of the already wrong colour scheme (it doesn't ever get rid of the f****ing, just changes the shade of green you see f****).

Ofcourse i could just play on this huge looking 1920x1080 stretched to my monitor, but there must be a fix so i can just use my native resolution. (like i do for any other game, full screen movie etc and even aoe2 HD (I have tried so many different combos under the game settings - including the links in this / other common threads).

All of these threads seem to end up with someone saying hardware issue, then the original poster never responding. (which i am skeptical about, seeing it is linked to only 1 game)

---Not sure if this is related, but also any time a menu is brought up in game (like me opening the options menu) or say a person lags and the "continue save game menu comes up" - i then proceed to lag for the rest of the game (scroll lag as i move around the map - lag any time trying to build or move units) -- it in localised to me as i know others are playing normally (not internet related) -- i have had this issue on my old PC and now this newer PC as well
this only happens in multiplayer, single player doesnt seem to have this issue.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +sunny@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 1 February 2019 - 8:48 am
I am closing this thread since the OP hasn't responded in a while.

@N1K, we will discuss your issue on the new thread you created.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 10 out of 10 posts