Screen Resolution Issue

Gui101do

Edited 10 July 2018 - 7:11 am by Gui101do
Voobly Admin Mike sent me here after speaking with him on the Game Browser.

I am having Screen Resolution issues. I am trying to get back into the game after a couple years away, so please bare with me. Voobly is very different now, lots of options! I like it!

So far, I have followed the steps to start fresh: uninstall AOE2 HD via steam, reinstall the game and updates. I own all of the new expansions for AOE2 HD through Steam (FE, AK and Rajas). It was recommended to me to download the Wololo Kingdoms mod as it is very popular and enables me to play the new expansions on Voobly.

In the Game diagnostics it says 'successful' and all that other good stuff. My settings are listed as Patch v1.5 Beta R7 and using Wololo Kingdoms Mod.

I disabled start with windowed and have render in 32 bit enabled.

My issue is that in game, the resolution is incredibly zoomed in. As in the Town Center takes up much of the screen. It is unplayable. When I would play through the game itself via Steam multiplayer it was fine. Nice and zoomed out, you can see a lot of the game making it easier to play and enjoyable.

How can I zoom out on Voobly? In game settings I have it at largest extent which was the same as how I had it on Steam?

Thank you for any assistance!
Link | Reply | Quote
 Troy

Posted 9 July 2018 - 7:54 am
Hello,

Make sure that you are using UserPatch(UP) under Resolution Tools in your game room settings.

If this doesn't help/already is, then I have other suggestions for you. :)

cheers.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Troy

Edited 9 July 2018 - 8:06 am by Troy
Hello, make sure you have done these below. ;flowers

Right click on your pc background and open NVidia then do this,
You must login into Voobly to view image

Right click on your pc background and open "Display Settings" do this,
You must login into Voobly to view image

cheers.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Gui101do

Posted 10 July 2018 - 7:26 am
In response to your first reply, yes I have selected User Patch in the game room.

I couldn't find Nvidia drivers on my PC. I am on a Windows 10 Dell, maybe I just can't find Nvidia? Or can I download it?

I right clicked the start button, clicked into device manager, clicked Display Adapters and the only option that comes up is 'Intel (R) HD Graphics Family'. What can I do with this option?

The work-around I had when I would play via Steam was start my PC, open display settings, change zoom to 125%. Then I would sign out and sign back in (still zoomed at 125%), start up AoE2 HD, start a game, minimize the game, switch Zoom back to 100%, pull the game back up and everything was nice and zoomed out. I can't seem to do this on Voobly, my view remains incredibly zoomed in and unplayable!

I really appreciate your help! I am dying to play some AoE2 on Voobly!
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Posted 10 July 2018 - 1:04 pm
hi
Intel (R) HD Graphics Family is the built in graphics, nvidia is a separate pci card installed in the pc. are there any options or a gui for the intel?
after a game starts, go to the top right of the screen, the scroll icon, right click and go to options. there you should see several sizes of screen resolution you can use.
you can also do this do this off line from the main screen of aoc.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Gui101do

Posted 11 July 2018 - 6:59 am
What options should I be looking for under the Intel graphics card options? I did not see anything about a GUI.

I went into a single player game via Voobly and clicked into settings and the resolution is set to the largest possible, which is 1366x768. But it is still incredibly zoomed in and unplayable. I can't fit more than a few buildings in one screen and this is not what the game looks like on other platforms.

There has to be a way to zoom this out and be able to see more of the game? It's not competitively fair to have such a zoomed in view. Surely there is a way to zoom out the resolution?

I have attached a screen shot.
Attachments:
Screenshot 3.png (file size: 1.3 MB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 [MM]Gallas

Edited 11 July 2018 - 2:39 pm by kitt
hi Gui101do,

This is an 1:1 screenshot, so if you are not using settings like this, I don't think it will be bigger with your current monitor.
whats the maximum resolution of your monitor?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Gui101do

Edited 12 July 2018 - 5:50 am by Gui101do
1366 x 768 is my laptop screen.

Like I said, I found a work around to play via Steam involving Display Settings -> Scale and Layout getting set to 125%. Sign Out and sign back in to windows. Then when I am in a game of AoE2 HD, I minimize the game, go to Display Settings, put Scale and Layout back to 100%, when I restore the game it is way zoomed out. I just haven't found a way to do this with Voobly.

I just find it hard to believe there isn't a way to zoom out while using a laptop? Nobody who plays on Voobly has a laptop with a 1366 x 768 screen? The default resolution in the game is horrible which is ridiculous considering I have a very new laptop.

Any suggestions at all on how to zoom out in game? I can't believe it's not a feature. I just want to play on Voobly so bad!
Link | Reply | Quote
 Gui101do

Edited 12 July 2018 - 6:12 am by Gui101do
What about hooking up a monitor to a laptop? I can get a DVI to HDMI adapter and connect a desktop monitor to my laptop.

Is this a viable solution? Does anyone have experience with this?
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:24 pm
hi
just using the lap top, you cannt get a bigger resolution than the pc maximum resolution.
on using a monitor i have no idea.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Gui101do

Posted 13 July 2018 - 6:08 am
kitt wrote:
hi
just using the lap top, you cannt get a bigger resolution than the pc maximum resolution.
on using a monitor i have no idea.

There isn't any help guides or anything for hooking up a laptop to a PC monitor to play AoE2 HD? Am I the first person to try this?

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 11 out of 11 posts