Game keeps freezing

Con_Fuzius

Posted 22 August 2018 - 2:53 am
Hi everyone,

I wanted to play AoE 2 on Voobly, I did the clean installation with the compatability patch as in https://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1054+Clean+installation+of+Aoe2HD+with+compatibility+patch.

Now I have the following problem. Whenever I try to start a game from the map and civ selection screen (no matter singleplayer or multiplayer) I see the 'starting game' screen pop up for a moment and then the window instantly turns black and the game just freezes, no error message or anything. I played around with some of the settings, including 32bit rendering, window mode and screen resolution without success.

Oddly enough this only happens if I select patch 1.4 or 1.5. On 1.0 the game starts and runs properly, I can also run the game via steam without problems.

It might be the same issue as in this thread: https://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/272893, which unfortunately was not resolved :-/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Posted 23 August 2018 - 12:19 pm
hi
try altering the scaling in the video card gui.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Con_Fuzius

Edited 27 August 2018 - 11:49 am by Con_Fuzius
Hi,

thanks for the reply. Could you be a bit more specific? I searched in the video card settings (Nvidia Quadro1000M on laptop) but could not find an option to change the scaling. I also tried to run the game on the internal graphic chip but there was no difference.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MM]Gallas

Posted 27 August 2018 - 12:26 pm
hi Con_Fuzius,

Try use the suggested screen settings:
https://www.voobly.com/files/view/31695090/db4efrmhsw88gf2wefkakbmj9nqvfr7r/VGR8.png

and set scaling to 100%
https://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/291828/:1299299#post1299299
Link | Reply | Quote
 Con_Fuzius

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:48 am
No luck... I'm using the suggested screen settings in voobly now. In the nvidia control panel I only have the menu point 3d settings so apparently I can do nothing here.

Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:43 pm
hi
under the 3d settings,probably need to click the +/- sign, you will see display. if its really not there, you may need to update the nvidia control panel, from the nvidia web site.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Con_Fuzius

Posted 4 September 2018 - 3:40 pm
Hi,

no the display settings are definitely not there. I also downloaded the newest drivers from the nvidia homepage (could not find a seperate download for the control panel) but nothing changed. Maybe display settings are not available on laptop at all?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +sunny@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 4 September 2018 - 4:57 pm by +sunny@voobly
Hi there,

Please start the game in single player mode from within Voobly and set the in game resolution to 800 x 600. Exit the game and start a new one again. After the game has begun and you can see your town center and stuff like that, go to options and switch to the maximum resolution supported by your desktop.

Edit:
Before you start do make sure 32 bit color and window mode are enabled in your game room.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Con_Fuzius

Posted 10 September 2018 - 2:01 am
Hi,

sorry for the late reply. I already tried what you suggested without success unfortunately :-/

I also had strange problems with another program today that used to run fine before, I'm thinking about just resetting my computer cleanly (haven't done that in years) and then do a reinstall.

Anyways, thanks for trying to help, guys.

Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Posted 10 September 2018 - 4:00 pm
hi
try this more or less the same for most win10/8/7.
Quote:
Open Control Panel. you can right click the Windows logo and select Control Panel.
Click on Appearance and Personalization.
Click on Display and select the scaling option you want. On the Surface Pro, 150% is the default option.
Click Apply.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 10 out of 10 posts