Wololokingdoms black screen

Achtentachtig

Posted 30 December 2018 - 7:09 pm
+chris@voobly wrote:
No wonder this is not working. You are running the game from inside your User directory + you have followed an article that applies to Age of Empires II HD only, but Voobly has detected AOK and AOC + you are running a third party tool which appears to break Voobly.

You CANNOT play WK if you do not own the game AoE 2 HD on steam. You CANNOT have both, AOK/AOC and Age2HD installed on the same computer. You CANNOT run the game from inside your personal folder (C:\Users\).

When following those articles below, make sure you do NOT change the installation path. Both, the Voobly client and the games must be installed to C:\Program Files\ (C:\Program Files (x86) on 64-Bit). First uninstall Voobly and Age of Empires II, then delete the folders of Voobly Client and the game and then follow all steps in the article below. For Age2HD, please skip this.

https://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1053+Clean+installation+of+Voobly+client
https://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1019+Clean+installation+of+Age+of+Empires+II+with+the+latest+patches
I think you don't understand that most people use Aoe2tools to install aoe2 for voobly. It doesn't mess with the steam version and creates a seperate version for voobly. Indeed I own Aoe2 HD and all expansions on steam. The wk kingdoms mod checks your steam when you install it and copies stuff it needs. The directory doesn't matter, I used C:\Program Files (x86) for a previous installation so that I could find it more easily. It automatically chooses the one in (C:\Users\).
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 30 December 2018 - 8:20 pm by +chris@voobly
I think you don't understand that most people use Aoe2tools to install aoe2 for voobly.

Erm. Nope! But what do I know, after providing technical support on Voobly for 10+ years and on the MSN Gaming Zone for 7 years. ;-)

The fact is: It's a third party tool, and it is not affiliated with Voobly. You use it at your own risk and we do not support it, nor do we recommend to use it. If you decide to use such tools, then please do not expect, that we also provide technical support for it.

All we are saying is, that your problems will be fixed, if you follow our instructions. It's of course your decision now, what to do with it.
It doesn't mess with the steam version and creates a seperate version for voobly. Indeed I own Aoe2 HD and all expansions on steam. The wk kingdoms mod checks your steam when you install it and copies stuff it needs.

You are of course encouraged to do whatever you want on your computer and of course decide what is wrong or right from your point of view. But please understand, that we cannot support your installation or provide technical assistance for it. We are providing technical support for Voobly only, nothing more and nothing less.
The directory doesn't matter, I used C:\Program Files (x86) for a previous installation so that I could find it more easily. It automatically chooses the one in (C:\Users\).

It does matter, when using the recommended configuration settings by Microsoft. If you were applying changes to your operating system, that changes the default behavior, we cannot provide technical assistance for it either.

We are not a help desk for your personal project.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Achtentachtig

Posted 30 December 2018 - 8:32 pm
+chris@voobly wrote:
Erm. Nope! But what do I know, after providing technical support on Voobly for 10+ years and on the MSN Gaming Zone for 7 years. ;-)

The fact is: It's a third party tool, and it is not affiliated with Voobly. You use it at your own risk and we do not support it, nor do we recommend to use it. If you decide to use such tools, then please do not expect, that we also provide technical support for it.

All we are saying is, that your problems will be fixed, if you follow our instructions. It's of course your decision now, what to do with it.

You are of course encouraged to do whatever you want on your computer and of course decide what is wrong or right from your point of view. But please understand, that we cannot support your installation or provide technical assistance for it. We are providing technical support for Voobly only, nothing more and nothing less.

It does matter, when using the recommended configuration settings by Microsoft. If you were applying changes to your operating system, that changes the default behavior, we cannot provide technical assistance for it either.

We are not a help desk for your personal project.
I don't care if it is installed with or without Aoe2Tools. All I am saying is that I have already tried your way and it gives the black screen for everything. So I don't think Aoe2Tools is the problem. I do understand you dont support those tools and I can give you a log of game diagnostics after your recommended installation.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 30 December 2018 - 8:49 pm by Neo
Uninstall AOK, AOC, Age2HD and Voobly. Then install Voobly and Age2HD only, use the installation path C:\program files\, then apply the compatibility patch, now install WK and apply the recommended game room settings -- and your problem will be solved. Also if you joined our Live chat your problem can be solved very fast, thank you.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Achtentachtig

Posted 30 December 2018 - 9:10 pm
+chris@voobly wrote:
Uninstall AOK, AOC, Age2HD and Voobly. Then install Voobly and Age2HD only, use the installation path C:\program files\, then apply the compatibility patch, now install WK and apply the recommended game room settings -- and your problem will be solved. Also if you joined our Live chat your problem can be solved very fast, thank you.

I wish it was that easy, but I get a black screen even without wk mod now. Here is the game diagnostics log.
Attachments:
gameDiagAoe2.PNG (file size: 33.1 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:27 pm
Apparently it is still detecting the old AOK. If you have time tomorrow, we could go through everything in our Help Room.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Achtentachtig

Posted 31 December 2018 - 3:53 pm
+chris@voobly wrote:
Apparently it is still detecting the old AOK. If you have time tomorrow, we could go through everything in our Help Room.
I have checked were it thinks aok is installed and as I expected it is a registry error. Registry remnants of the disc version which I installed a long time ago. The folder is no longer there.
Attachments:
AokDiag.PNG (file size: 6.67 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 hassan

Edited 31 December 2018 - 4:33 pm by hassan
+chris@voobly wrote:
Did you follow exactly all those steps ? Especially for Voobly, try to do a clean installation of it as followed here : https://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1053+Clean+installation+of+Voobly+client

When you run it again, it should look for the installed HD compatibility patch.

If it still doesn't work, you can try to put this manually : (Assuming you own the Age2HD from Steam and you installed the game/compatibility patch CORRECTLY)

-Close Voobly
-Press Windows+R and write "regedit".
- Go to : \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\DirectPlay\Applications\Age of Empires II - The Conquerors Expansion
- Go to the "CurrentDirectory" key, right click->modify and insert this directory : c:\program files (x86)\steam\SteamApps\common\Age2HD\
- Go to the "Path" key, right click-> modify and insert this path : c:\program files (x86)\steam\SteamApps\common\Age2HD\AGE2_X1\
-Run again the game diagnostics to check it out.

And remember : Registry keys are created/modified ONLY if you install the game in an original source, which is the CD or from Steam.

Link | Reply | Quote
 Achtentachtig

Posted 31 December 2018 - 5:01 pm
hassan wrote:
Did you follow exactly all those steps ? Especially for Voobly, try to do a clean installation of it as followed here : https://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1053+Clean+installation+of+Voobly+client

When you run it again, it should look for the installed HD compatibility patch.

If it still doesn't work, you can try to put this manually : (Assuming you own the Age2HD from Steam and you installed the game/compatibility patch CORRECTLY)

-Close Voobly
-Press Windows+R and write "regedit".
- Go to : \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\DirectPlay\Applications\Age of Empires II - The Conquerors Expansion
- Go to the "CurrentDirectory" key, right click->modify and insert this directory : c:\program files (x86)\steam\SteamApps\common\Age2HD\
- Go to the "Path" key, right click-> modify and insert this path : c:\program files (x86)\steam\SteamApps\common\Age2HD\AGE2_X1\
-Run again the game diagnostics to check it out.

And remember : Registry keys are created/modified ONLY if you install the game in an original source, which is the CD or from Steam.

I have fixed the registries in a different way. I just uninstalled aoe2HD, then I installed and uninstalled the old cd version. After that I installed aoe2HD again. Now game diagnostics shows one aoe2 version. However the black screen problem persists.
Link | Reply | Quote
 hassan

Posted 31 December 2018 - 5:06 pm
Hold on. You need only either the CD version or the Age2HD. I can see you online in the lobby so we'll go for the live chat.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Achtentachtig

Posted 4 January 2019 - 4:00 pm
I have run out of ideas. It seems the game should be able to run on my system. I have went through a lot of things with help of Hassan and everything seems up to date.
I have tested the old cd version and it runs fine on voobly. However the wk mod doesn't work.
So to sum it up the cd-version and aoe2tools conversion work, voobly HD compatibility patch doesn't work and the wololokingdoms mod never works.
So atm the only thing I can do is hope that the next version of wk works.

Link | Reply | Quote
 GregStein

Edited 8 January 2019 - 12:21 am by GregStein
I just saw your pm on the discord channel today. The problem has nothing to do with the game installation or aoe2tools. Since the problem concerns wk and you can pick your civ at the start of the screen and then later ingame everything is black. It is solemnly a WK Installer issue brought about a system intervention such as windows defender or antivirus/security suites.

Here are working solutions from personal experience:

1. Your antivirus has silently intervened and interrupted WK Installer despite success alert. What to do?

Temporarily disable your antivirus/windows defender and delete "WololoKingdoms" mod folder found in "YourGamePathHere\Voobly Mods\AOC\Data Mods\". Also, Delete "Games" Folder if found in "YourGamePathHere\". Run Steam as administrator and sign in. Now Run Wololokingdoms installer and convert.

2. Tried the solution (.1) above to no avail. What to do?

Delete "WololoKingdoms" mod folder found in "YourGamePathHere\Voobly Mods\AOC\Data Mods\". Also, Delete "Games" Folder if found in "YourGamePathHere\". Now Use an alternative to WK Installer - WK Cloud Installer which is integrated with aoe2tools (right click the logo shield).

In case these didn't solve, do not hesitate to reach out here or on the discord channel as I will need to ask some questions.
Link | Reply | Quote
 GregStein

Posted 8 January 2019 - 8:04 pm
I forgot to ask about your antivirus, if is it avast or avg that could be the culprit. those antivirus can hinder directplay games very significantly. Your best bet is to uninstall them and use kaspersky free or comodo internet security (free).
Link | Reply | Quote
 GregStein

Edited 14 January 2019 - 12:31 pm by GregStein
Hello,

We have resolved the problem! We have tried so many things until a point where I asked about his system version. It turned out to be his system "windows 7 enterprise" has some sort of limitation (provided by his organization) and was not activated either. So I suggested a clean install of windows 7 ultimate/pro or upgrading to Windows 10. He was hesitant at first but ultimately yesterday he upgraded to windows 10 and these are screenshots of our conversation:
You must login into Voobly to view image

You must login into Voobly to view image

Well! he didn't say you were right GregStein thanks... But I guess I can live with that 11

This is the second time now when you guys keep accusing aoe2tools for no reason and force people to unnecessarily reinstall the game hence wasting their time and yours.
+chris@voobly wrote:
No wonder this is not working. You are running the game from inside your User directory + you have followed an article that applies to Age of Empires II HD only, but Voobly has detected AOK and AOC + you are running a third party tool which appears to break Voobly.

You CANNOT play WK if you do not own the game AoE 2 HD on steam. You CANNOT have both, AOK/AOC and Age2HD installed on the same computer. You CANNOT run the game from inside your personal folder (C:\Users\).

When following those articles below, make sure you do NOT change the installation path. Both, the Voobly client and the games must be installed to C:\Program Files\ (C:\Program Files (x86) on 64-Bit). First uninstall Voobly and Age of Empires II, then delete the folders of Voobly Client and the game and then follow all steps in the article below. For Age2HD, please skip this.

https://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1053+Clean+installation+of+Voobly+client
https://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1019+Clean+installation+of+Age+of+Empires+II+with+the+latest+patches

If you own Age2HD, make sure to uninstall AOK + AOC first. Then the same steps as explained above: First uninstall Voobly and Age of Empires II/Age2HD, then delete the folders of Voobly Client and the game and then follow all steps in the article below. Make sure you do NOT change the installation path. Both, the Voobly client and the games must be installed to C:\Program Files\ (C:\Program Files (x86) on 64-Bit).

https://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1054+Clean+installation+of+Aoe2HD+with+compatibility+patch

Then make sure you configure the Voobly game rooms settings as shown here:

VGR8.png

And surprise, surprise. You will see, that your problem is solved, IF you follow ALL the steps above.

Also, the second time when you guys keep pointing fingers to aoe2tools... I am not a shoemaker!

"You are running the game from inside your User directory" - You are excused for being unacquainted about the fact that AoE2Tools legitimately converts HD to AOC in the user directory on purpose in addition to setting up registry correctly. Open up a notepad and take note of these tips why age of empires 2 should be installed by default in %appdata% or in a local disk:

- User Directory or what is referred to as '%appdata%' do not require any admin privileges to run and essentially people don't have to run age of empires 2 as administrator to fix an X issue such as hotkeys, game settings not saving up.
- Games should not be allowed to run as administrator, they can edit the system freely as well as restricted registry profiles. Unnecessary privileges!
- Another charm of '%appdata%' is users on a local user windows account (administrator privileges prohibited) can install/play their games without issues or system errors.

"Both, the Voobly client and the games must be installed to C:\Program Files\ (C:\Program Files (x86) on 64-Bit)" - No, they don't! You can install Voobly anywhere in your disk. And using AoE2Tools you can convert and install age of empires 2 anywhere in your disk as well.

Let me ask you one question, Have you tried AoE2Tools yet? If you consider AoE2Tools as an enemy to Voobly, why don't you try it out yourselves?“To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”

Instead of pointing false allegations about my tool. You could also be more helpful about it and say "I'm sorry but we do not support aoe2tools but you can file an issue through github open project to receive support. But If you wish assistance from us, you must install Compatibility Patch etc."

"Then make sure you configure the Voobly game rooms settings as shown here: https://www.voobly.com/files/view/31695090/db4efrmhsw88gf2wefkakbmj9nqvfr7r/VGR8.png" - AoE2Tools does all that automatically throughout the conversion process. And most importantly configures Voobly to run without any error message at the first launch.
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Edited 15 January 2019 - 12:54 pm by kitt
hi greg
Quote:
Well! he didn't say you were right GregStein thanks
you should know by now that people rarely say thanks for free help, they seem to think its a right.
Quote:
Instead of pointing false allegations about my tool. You could also be more helpful about it and say "I'm sorry but we do not support aoe2tools but you can file an issue through github open project to receive support. But If you wish assistance from us, you must install Compatibility Patch etc."
more to the point here is that you need to make it clear were they need to go to receive help if needed, after using your app, as we are not familiar with this program.
perhaps you should talk to chris or elusive about your app.
Quote:
You can install Voobly
when giving help on voobly or anywere else, its obviously necessary to have a set pattern of what works best here, installs, other settimgs etc and having players follow it. it also gives us a base line for further help. odd settings, installs etc all over a users pc are not helpful.
regards

Link | Reply | Quote
1[2]
Displaying 16 - 30 out of 30 posts