Random civs?

_I3uLLioN_

Posted 1 May 2019 - 2:05 am
Is there a reason why I am getting Viks so often in Random 3v3 Deathmatch MICHI games. Ive had them soo many times over the last few days it's not even funny.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _I3uLLioN_

Edited 1 May 2019 - 4:59 pm by _I3uLLioN_
Is there anyone from Voobly that can explain how random civs work? From what I can tell it isn't random. Games are always totally outcived.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Jineapple

Posted 1 May 2019 - 5:05 pm
"Random" is randomly drawn, except that there will be no civ drawn twice. "Full Random" removes that restriction.

If you are under the impression that it isn't random, that's due to a low number of samples and confirmation bias. If you look at enough games, you will see an equal distribution.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _I3uLLioN_

Posted 2 May 2019 - 12:04 am
I can literally look at my last 160 games.

That isn't random.

It's not confirmation bias. I;ve been playing this game for 20+ years. I had viks 5 times in a row the other day. That isn't random.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Jineapple

Posted 2 May 2019 - 3:17 pm
160 games is a small sample size. Try 100k games and suddenly it's nicely distributed.

Getting Vikings 5 times in a row may be rare for one player, but it's (almost) guaranteed to happen to someone - who might then think that maybe it's not random at all. But random doesn't mean equally distributed in the short term. You might get vikings 5 times in a row. In the meantime, someone else will get each civ exactly once, or anything in between those phenomena.

You're by far not the first player to think that something is off about the randomness, and you won't be the last. It's a natural reaction. Humans don't have a good grasp of randomness. I've had the same thoughts. But the result of someone bringing this up is always the same. Once enough games are looked at it turns out the result is actually random.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _I3uLLioN_

Posted 2 May 2019 - 6:54 pm
Is there a way of seeing the algo that voobly uses?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Jineapple

Posted 2 May 2019 - 7:34 pm
Voobly is just the client that brings players together. The drawing of civs is done by the game itself. And no, this can't be looked up (easily) because it's part of the game executable which just has machine code that's not directly readable by humans.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 7 out of 7 posts