Voobly always looses connection

eis_fuer_1_euro

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:37 am
Heyo people,

I want to start by saying I have not found anything regarding this issue (its rather specific anyways), but if I am just blind, please excuse my incompetency.

The issue I am having is that Voobly apparently does not like my German Wifi. I am originally an HD player and HD works perfectly (well.... I mean for HD ^^). Somehow, when playing on Voobly, it's even better: No lag, no issues, better game. Until I loose the connection without any obvious reason.
There is an example yesterday, I played 1v1 with a friend and we were on Discord as well. At some point, the game just stopped and eventually the Multiplayer Status screen popped up telling me I lost connection or he lost connection. But Discord still worked, so it was not the Internet! When leaving the game, the Voobly screen told me I lost connection and reconnecting will be tried after the game ended.
Again, this does not happen with HD; but it ALWAYS happens with Voobly.

Now the really weird part: Last year, I was abroad in the USA with the exact same laptop, exact same Windows, and thus exact same Voobly. And I _never_ had this issue! This is extremely weird to me, because again: Multiplayer on HD with my German Wifi works. Streaming works. Voobly offline works. But just not multiplayer.

I am extremely sad about this and am glad for any help; please let me know what information is necessary to solve this issue and I will provide this.

Thank you all and glhf,

eis_fuer_1_euro
Link | Reply | Quote
 Kicking

Posted 12 July 2019 - 2:40 pm
Hey ;smile2 we will try our best to help you.
1) Have you already opened port UDP 16000?
2) Please, go to any lobby (For example RM or NPL) and go to Options > Launch network diagnostics. Please upload the results with a copy paste or screenshot.
Link | Reply | Quote
 eis_fuer_1_euro

Edited 15 July 2019 - 10:18 am by eis_fuer_1_euro
Hey +kicking.
First of all, thank you so much for your fast response. All your help is greatly appreciated.

- No, I have not opened UDP 16000. From a quick google research I found that it's not thaat easy to do, is there a detailed HowTo page on Voobly? If so, could you send me a link? I'd research more myself, but cant do so before tomorrow (forgot my Laptop cable at work o.o)

- The Network Diagnostics Tool from RM/DM showed the following results:

Starting networking diagnostics...

Your local network port (UDP) is 16000. All game traffic is routed through this port. This can be changed in "Settings" -> "NAT Traversal".

Attempting to connect to 3 test servers. This will take around a minute to complete...

Received data from 'server 3' through port 16000 (this is your WAN or router port)
Received data from 'server 1' through port 16000 (this is your WAN or router port)
Received data from 'server 2' through port 16000 (this is your WAN or router port)
14 seconds left.
9 seconds left.
4 seconds left.

Test Result: All Pass
Network Health: All tests passed
Recommended Action: None
Details: All tests passed.

For help understanding this report or for more information go to http://www.voobly.com/pages/view/177#Network_Diagnostic_Tool.

Seems like no new information there :(

Nevertheless, looking forward to your new response and thanks again
Link | Reply | Quote
 eis_fuer_1_euro

Posted 21 July 2019 - 1:12 am
So I got an update: Got a new computer, same problem... So, basically, it must be the router, since I set it up exactly as the How-to Thread described and again, it works for HD somehow. I did somewhat forward the port in the router, but I'm not sure since there is absolutely no tutorial on this kind of router :(
I got a question for that, maybe you can help: It asks for a "Provider" (not sure if translated correctly), possibilities are FDP, HTTP, SSH, TELNET and MS REMOTE.
Also, is it 1 "Portarea" or 2 "Portareas"? Just making the range 16000 - 16000 should work I guess.

Thanks again for your help, this is really goddamn annoying. I dropped and while dropping let the Network Diagnosis by Voobly tell me everything's fine. That just... Cant be real.
Link | Reply | Quote
 finally_free_

Posted 21 July 2019 - 9:45 am
Hi mate,

How are you connected to internet?
Link | Reply | Quote
 eis_fuer_1_euro

Edited 21 July 2019 - 6:16 pm by eis_fuer_1_euro
Hey man,

it's both times via wifi with a German router I got from my Provider, I'm not sure if it's the same in English/USA but it's a 50k line (DSL), so I regularly get 5MB/s for Download speed so it can't be that.
Other than that, it's again the same connection for other games where it doesn't crash during online multiplayer.
If you need more information, please don't hesitate to ask :)
Thanks for your help!
Link | Reply | Quote
 finally_free_

Edited 30 July 2019 - 7:49 pm by finally_free_
Ok great :)

I will list to you few steps, don't worry, these guides are really clever, filled with a lot of images

1) Make sure you firewall is set like this guide: [You must login to view link]

2) Set the static IP like this guide: [You must login to view link]

3)You need to portforward, if you know the model of your modem i can do a quick research and link to you the guide of your specific modem.

4) Make sure in case you have an antivirus to add voobly and games to excpetion list

5)Run games and voobly as administrator

6) Disable UPnP on your modem

note: once you did all i will need few screenshots to be sure you did all the set up correctly. THe screenshots i need is related to the IP config, your static IP setting and finally the screenshot of your portforward setting from your modem

Feel free to ask any further information or doubt you have about all this steps mate :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 eis_fuer_1_euro

Posted 27 July 2019 - 4:19 pm
Hey man, thank you for your extensive instructions. I will reply extensively as well :) First of all, none of the links unfortunately worked, it always told me
"Error 502 Ray ID: 4fcf1b7c9b5f974e • 2019-07-27 13:54:48 UTC
Bad gateway".

But when I typed the links in google, it showed a site from [You must login to view link] with the exact same titles, so I guess the information will be the same.

So I did that, you will find the screenshot. Again, its German, but I feel like you will be able to understand it :) There was no folder age2_1x in steamapps/common/Age2HD, so I chose the Launcher and the AOK HD.exe

Also done, second screenshot :)
3)You need to portforward, if you know the model of your modem i can do a quick research and link to you the guide of your specific modem.

Yeah, thats a problem. It's a so-called o2 HomeBox 6441 and I could not find information on it anywhere. It's been made by "Astoria Networks" and there is no other name on it. Again, I did find the "Port Forwarding" page within my router's page. So I'm sending you the screenshot for that. I will also translate everthing within this screenshot for you:

Dienst: This must be something like "Provider". Possible alternatives are: Individual (currently selected); FTP; HTTP; SSH; Telnet; MS Remote.
Computer: This obviously must be the static IP from before.
Portbereiche: Areas or range of ports. Possiblities are 1 or 2.
1. Portbereich: 1st range/area. "... bis ..." = "from ... to ..."
Protokoll: Protocol. Alternatives are "All", "TCP", "UDP".
2. Portbereich: Same as before.
"Anderen Zielport für Portbereiche verwenden" = "Chose different targetport for port-areas/ranges".

Again, I am extremely sorry this is in German but there is no English alternative :(
4) Make sure in case you have an antivirus to add voobly and games to excpetion list

Well, just using standard Windows Defender. Is it known for causing issues?
5)Run games and voobly as administrator

Have done this before anyways :)
6) Disable UPnP on your modem

You will also find a screenshot for that :)
Attachments:
Firewall_Voobly.jpg (file size: 95.35 KB)
StaticIP_Voobly.jpg (file size: 206.67 KB)
PortForwarding_Voobly.jpg (file size: 133.36 KB)
UPnP_Voobly.jpg (file size: 196.93 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 finally_free_

Posted 27 July 2019 - 6:19 pm
Hi again mate,

Don't worry for the language :)

Yeah voobly support web page is currently offline so it show that error, don't worry, the support web page of voobly will be soon online again, thx for patience :)

Try to turn off windows antivirus while playing, or add in the exception list game, expansions and voobly. Since voobly don't have a digital signature, better to let the antivirus know that voobly is a good boy rofl. Once you finish playing, for your security turn on again the antivirus when you browsing or downloading on internet :)

From the first screenshot can't see if you added the game and expansions as well, make sure of this aswell.

Your static IP setting is correct, if you will have trouble with the internet connection, like not able to use internet on your PC, just add as second DNS server 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4, these two are google DNS.

Also saw that your UPnP is disabeled.

This is the guide of your current modem, just in case you will need in the future, is in german language and it's a pdf: [You must login to view link]

In the third screenshot, add 32 in the second line, in the end of 192.168.1. , so will be like this 192.168.1.32

Still in the third screenshot, ad in the Portbereich, 16000 - 16000

Still in the third screenshot select UDP as Protokol, than save all and restart modem and the PC.

For any other issues, questions or any kind of doubt i'm here mate :)

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 9 out of 9 posts