How to minimize input latency (delay) on AOE II

BubblyMango

Edited 14 April 2020 - 3:51 am by BubblyMango
So when i play on multiplayer, every action i make has a latency to it. It takes units some time to react.
The game itself works fine, it doesnt stutter, doesnt get stuck, the image and the units all move smothley, its just that it takes them time to react when i tell them to move for example (also unit creation on buildings etc...). on 1v1 its about 0.7s, on 4v4 its more like 1.2s.

Non of this happens on single player, even on voobly against the computer.

I have a fairly strong pc, my internet is either 30Mbs or 85Mbs depends on how i set it. I did port forwarding successfully, and i of course pass the networks diagnostics test. I usually have a ping of 300ms from the other player, so at most my latency is supposed to be that right?

Anyways, what can i do to make the multiplyer as snappy as the single player? By watching youtube videos i see that others either dont have this latency or have it way better.
Link | Reply | Quote
 BubblyMango

Posted 18 April 2020 - 1:08 am
UP.
I seriously need help guys!
Link | Reply | Quote
 Troy

Posted 18 April 2020 - 4:53 am
Hello! That is normal. You won't get lag with single player or against computer unless you had a hardware lag. However since it's only 0.7s / 1.2s that is completely normal when playing online vs other humans! I suggest just using /ping in game room and play with people under 400 ping. But as for those very small delays that is normal when playing online.

Hopefully I have answered your question!

Cheers. ;flowers
Link | Reply | Quote
 BubblyMango

Posted 18 April 2020 - 12:57 pm
Troy wrote:
Hello! That is normal. You won't get lag with single player or against computer unless you had a hardware lag. However since it's only 0.7s / 1.2s that is completely normal when playing online vs other humans! I suggest just using /ping in game room and play with people under 400 ping. But as for those very small delays that is normal when playing online.

Hopefully I have answered your question!

Cheers. ;flowers

But how do youtubers like TheViper and T90Official play online (not just DE) without any lag? Their actions seem to be as snappy as singeplayer.
Link | Reply | Quote
 vazzY00

Posted 24 April 2020 - 1:32 am
A direct conection to another player which is geographically near can be as low as 30ms or less on best set ups. Which translates up to 0,060sec of reaction time. Pretty singleplayer like.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +sunny@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 24 April 2020 - 7:32 am by +sunny@voobly
Your in-game lag (assuming all players have a direct connection to every other player in your game room), is subject to ping. As a general rule, the higher the number of players, the higher the lag. Although if all players have a direct connection to each other, this latency should be no more than a couple of secs at max (in the worst-case scenario). In an ideal scenario, if all players are from one geographical region with a direct connection to each other and everyone having a ping less than 100, you should experience negligible lag.

P.S: Geographical vicinity is just one of the factors affecting ping. There are several others (including firewall, internet speeds, network congestion, etc )
P.P.S: Usually pings up to 400 are acceptable while playing on Voobly, although there are no defined guidelines in here.

Good luck
Link | Reply | Quote
 ['RB']koandcul1

Posted 24 April 2020 - 3:58 pm
So when i play on multiplayer, every action i make has a latency to it. It takes units some time to react.
The game itself works fine, it doesnt stutter, doesnt get stuck, the image and the units all move smothley, its just that it takes them time to react when i tell them to move for example (also unit creation on buildings etc...). on 1v1 its about 0.7s, on 4v4 its more like 1.2s.

Non of this happens on single player, even on voobly against the computer.

I have a fairly strong pc, my internet is either 30Mbs or 85Mbs depends on how i set it. I did port forwarding successfully, and i of course pass the networks diagnostics test. I usually have a ping of 300ms from the other player, so at most my latency is supposed to be that right?

Anyways, what can i do to make the multiplyer as snappy as the single player? By watching youtube videos i see that others either dont have this latency or have it way better.
I have the same problem, I just got used to it 11. The thing is that for me even in single player vs bots i have that tiny tiny delay and also I can't run recs with fast speed or even when I spec games the speed is locked to slow(unless i turn windowed mode on and watch it with half the screen 11).

It has to be something from my OS or hardware.
But how do youtubers like TheViper and T90Official play online (not just DE) without any lag? Their actions seem to be as snappy as singeplayer.
I was asking myself same thing. Did some community games with them and at some games at first game was shaking and few seconds later everything was smooth ( of course i had that 1 sec delay of mine)

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 7 out of 7 posts