Indians and Voobly

[Kerala]Nexuskw

Posted 7 May 2020 - 11:14 am
Hi i am Nexuskw. An aoe player from India. It seems voobly has a lot connectivity issues with respect to Indians. We have big issues in connecting with South American players. I for example have a 20 mbps broadband connection. I know its not blazing fast, but it should be enough to play this game. But when running network diagnostics my connection status is shown as poor.

So i sat for half an hour with voobly tech team and we did port forwarding. But it did not yield expected results as my ISP was blocking ports. In India most of us use dynamic external ip as static ip is too expensive here. It costs like 40-50 USD per year. So most isps block all ports except a few. So even though we have a good internet connection it seems we have connectivity issues in voobly. I have no issues playing multiplayer games in AOE2 Definitive edition on steam.

The only alternative is using VPNs, so the ports are open; but vpn causes some extra lag. Voobly works well with few ISPs like BSNL in India. But these ISPs are not available in all parts of India. So due to this there is a lot of hatred going on against Indian players in Voobly. "Oh the game is lagging, its must be the Indian guy, kick him" or like "Indian internet is the worst". I have to say its not our internet problem, its some voobly issue, as i can watch 4k videos on YouTube easily.

So Voobly please fix this issue. There is thousand of aoe players from India. Like back when i was playing in 2014 i would put my region as UAE or something so that people won't kick me from games. Also to fellow players please don't be racist towards Indians. Don't be racist towards anybody from any region. All players from all parts of the world play the games. Sometimes geographical distance is huge.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Kerala]Nexuskw

Posted 7 May 2020 - 11:39 am
ISPs refuses to do Port forwarding. That is the big issue.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +sunny@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 7 May 2020 - 11:56 am by +sunny@voobly
Hello dear,

I totally understand your situation. Been there and lived through it :)

You are absolutely right that most ISPs in India do block all non-standard ports. This is done for a variety of reasons but the more common reason is to avoid sharing of your internet by routing your connection to your neighbours. While I admit this is a dumb reason but that is the fact. The other reason why they do this is to be able to generate extra revenue by being able to sell dedicated IPs for the small percentage of users that do require a dedicated port. Sadly there is no workaround to this problem.

The only solution would be to purchase a dedicated IP from your hosting provider. The thing with VPN is that the ports are blocked there as well. There are very few VPN providers that will open non-standard ports on their network. Although you may have better luck with a VPN due to the absence of NAT, you should be able to connect to a larger player base. That is to say that you will still be fp to any player who has a symmetrical NAT (which is roughly about 10 to 15% of the player base). The problem with VPN though is the increased lag (as you correctly anticipated).

If you can afford an IP, go for it. You can try to bargain with your ISP and have some luck but chances are you will have to pay the full price. The price you pay is for a whole year so I think it should be affordable if you are a regular player.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Kerala]Nexuskw

Edited 7 May 2020 - 12:02 pm by [Kerala]Nexuskw
Ok thank you. So it seems there is no other way.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 4 out of 4 posts