I have a Windows 7 laptop, and AOE and ROR. I also played some games on ROR on Voobly, and one of the optional settings was to make population 200. So I guess that the Voobly server automatically installed Voobly's 1.0a version on ROR onto my system. The Download page for Voobly's HD patch doesn't have a download button. (https://www.voobly.com/gamemods/view/11/1.0a%20HD)

Voobly says about its HD version: "The key features include upgrading the game engine to support modern resolutions, including high definition resolutions 1920×1080, and widescreen displays (the original versions only supports up to 1024x768 resolution)."

Unfortunately, the "High Definition" or improved resolution levels don't seem to work. What you are supposed to do is turn on "Force Desktop Resolution" in the Game Lobby menu and this is supposed to make your in-game resolution match your Desktop resolution. For example, a chat box tells me:
    <<Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome doesn't optimally support your current 1280x720 display resolution. To use your desktop resolution in game click "Game" -> "Resolution Tool" -> "Force Desktop Resolution In Game". This feature is completely optional -- if you do not enable it the game will use either 800x600, 1024x768, or 1280x1024. >>

When I use "Force Deskptop Resolution", and set my Desktop Resolution to about 1900 resolution (which is supposed to work according to the Voobly webpage on ROR), a strip of a unit's menu appears across the center of my main map. Plus, the construction menu boxes are switched over in cases when there were no available choice for the particular menu box. (eg. a villager who has no tower option in his unit menu has a tower option appear anyway). I could send you a screenshot, but you get the idea. It's pretty bugged.

One of the Voobly chat boxes says:
    <<The resolution patch tool is on -- if you experience problems such as crashes it's recommended that you disable this tool in the "Game" menu.>>

When I turn "Force Desktop Resolution" off, I can get "800X600" and 1024 Resolutions to work by checkmarking it in my Game Settings menu in my in-game menu in the upper right corner of the screen. However, that does not give me any higher resolutions. In other words, when I turn off the "Force Desktop Resolution" in the Game Lobby settings, my game doesn't have the problem and the game works at 1024X768 resolution.