Community Forums > Voobly Community > Age of Empires II: The Conquerors > Another way to execute AoC on Linux

Another way to execute AoC on Linux

[lT4]MightySaxtro

Edited 11 October 2020 - 10:31 pm by [lT4]MightySaxtro
Another way to play AoC on Linux

The net is plenty of tutorials on howto play AoC with wine.
In this thread i will share my experience in setting up Aoc - Voobly with proton.

If you own a Steam account, you can use the builtin proton, otherwise you can compile it by yourself.
I am using proton 4.11 (untested proton 5), because with it, everything works as expected.
This guide has been tested on Ubuntu 16, it should works on every Linux distro.

1) Create the needed directories and start creating your own env to run proton/voobly:
utente is the name of the linux user i am using, adapt it to your own installation.
Also you can use a custom path, like /opt/voobly if you like, just keep in mind to adapt your own commands to your desiderata.
Code:
mkdir -p /home/utente/proton/pfx
This directory will determine two env variables:
Code:
export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/proton/pfx export STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=$HOME/proton

2) Setup voobly

Download the voobly client
Set the working environment:
Code:
export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/proton/pfx export STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=$HOME/proton
also change the PATH to use the proton's builtin wine, so you will not mess up with wine binaries with different version.
Code:
cd "/home/utente/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 4.11/" export PATH="$PWD/dist/bin":$PATH

Install voobly client (you are still in "Proton 4.11" directory)
Code:
./proton run /home/utente/Downloads/voobly-v2.2.5.68.exe

3) Setup the games (AoK + AoC).
In this experience i'm using my iso backups, while my discs are well stored in the library. They are mounted as iso image (
Code:
sudo mount /path/to/iso /dir/to/mount -o loop
)
Code:
./proton run /mnt/AoK/AOESETUP.EXE
and follow on screen instructions. I performed the full installation.
Code:
./proton run /mnt/AoC/AOCSETUP.EXE
and follow on screen instructions. I performed the full installation.

4) Setup the multiplayer
Download the latest winetricks script from: [You must login to view link]
Execute the commands with the environment previously defined:
Code:
export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/proton/pfx export STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=$HOME/proton cd "/home/utente/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 4.11/" export PATH="$PWD/dist/bin":$PATH

To avoid some erros about libudev.so.0 missing (that are not fatal for our options),
"[You must login to view link]": libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
we can create those links:
Code:
sudo ln -s /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1 /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.0 sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.0
Such library exists also in steam-runtime, but on ubuntu 16.04 out of STEAM_RUNTIME, it is broken:
grep: undefined symbol: pcre_jit_stack_alloc
Code:
cd "${HOME}/Downloads" wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks chmod +x winetricks ./winetricks directplay
5) Check setting with winecfg
The wine that comes with proton, has its own winecfg, that be executed with this command:
(set the environment as point 4)
Code:
./proton run ./dist/share/default_pfx/drive_c/windows/system32/winecfg.exe

I just unchecked "Allow the window manager to decorate the windows" in Graphics menù.
This is not needed, just i like it this way.

6) Execute the first time and log into Voobly:
To execute the first time, we will set a virtual desktop;
it seems the option "Force your desktop resolution" in Voobly client, do not works, and you may see only a little piece of the game screen.

Always set the environment:
Code:
export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/proton/pfx export STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=$HOME/proton cd "/home/utente/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 4.11/" export PATH="$PWD/dist/bin":$PATH
set a virtual desktop with your own resolution:
Code:
/home/utente/Downloads/winetricks vd=1920x1080
Then execute voobly:
Code:
./proton run /home/utente/proton/pfx/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Voobly/voobly.exe

Join a lobby, then quick host a game
Set:
Resolution Tool --> i have everything unflagged
Direct X --> i have render in 32bit color - Start in windowed mode
windows compatibility --> i have only Run as administrator

Launch a game in Single Player menù.
Add your player, set your preferred resolution via Options.

If you don't like the virtual desktop, you can disable it via the command:
Code:
/home/utente/Downloads/winetricks vd=off
7) Create a script to launch directly voobly

<--- Start Script
Code:
#!/bin/bash ## Set the environment export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/proton/pfx export STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=$HOME/proton cd "/home/utente/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 4.11/" export PATH="$PWD/dist/bin":$PATH ## Launch voobly client ./proton run /home/utente/proton/pfx/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Voobly/voobly.exe ## Kill wine if it not close itself cleanly. It will not harm any other wine app, because it is execute on the WINEPREFIX pidof wineserver if [ $? -eq 0 ] then wineserver -k fi
---> End Script

That's all

a short video: [You must login to view link]

Link | Reply | Quote
 vh1988

Posted 31 July 2021 - 7:23 am
Works 100% (even online) on Proton 4.11. (does not work under Proton 6.3) No issues at all

Thank You!

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 2 out of 2 posts