Huge AoC start delay after launching

Pottie

Posted 20 August 2021 - 10:16 am
Well, on one machine I use an expensive device for which only 32 bit drivers exist. And also a much cherished program that fails under 64 bit OS but does not run well in VM. Also I have another machine with only 1 GB RAM, which is not enough for 64 bit OS, but otherwise fine for AoC.

In the worst case, I could install 64 bit Windows test-wise on a separate SSD. But I don't really believe it would help - after all, the renamed AoC executable works fine so it's not the OS in general. My "stomach feeling" goes more toward installation from my old Microsoft CDs and side effects of the former copy protection.

Can I buy an AoC version on steam which looks like the original one?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 22 August 2021 - 1:17 pm
Let's first test something else, I have sent you a PM.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Pottie

Posted 31 August 2021 - 9:58 am
Update on this: I found that the delay disappears if the network cable is disconnected / WLAN disabled.
Resetting the Windows firewall did not help. Switching network status between private and public also made no difference.

(But renaming the AoC executable still makes the delay disappear.)
Link | Reply | Quote
 Crawl_Waffl

Posted 3 September 2021 - 2:10 am
This reminds me one bug with games on Unity engine, which while was being known,no one were sure what it was. But some people were sugesting things like Hamachi were causing it (or having multiple network adapters,including virtual ones). Other were mentioning that disabling IPv6 in networt properties were fixing their issues.
Not sure if this can be similar bug.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 4 September 2021 - 11:59 am
Just wondering, when exactly does the problem occur. When on Voobly, please try the following:
Launch the Game using Patch 1.0c (without any mods), Patch 1.4 (without any mods), Patch 1.5 (without any mods) and Patch 1.6 (with 1.6 Game Data Mod).

Is the behavior the same for all patches or just for certain patches or can't you reproduce the behavior at all and the problem is related to a mod?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Pottie

Posted 6 September 2021 - 11:15 am
The patch selection windows appeared after the delay. The issue did not seem patch/mod related, just network/filename related. However, I did not re-install Voobly after the latest attempt with the archives you sent, as the issue already appeared without Voobly. I shall retry the Voobly install.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 9 September 2021 - 3:20 pm
[You must login to view link]

If this also won't fix the issue, let's have a closer look at this together. I will be available this coming Sunday at 3 PM CET.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Pottie

Posted 9 September 2021 - 8:55 pm
As expected, a clean re-install of Voobly didn't change the > 1 minute delay. It only helps to disconnect network or rename the executable.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 11 September 2021 - 11:31 pm
Run this in an administrator elevated command prompt. Only issue the last command, if you are still using Windows 7.
Code:
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth sfc /scannow
Link | Reply | Quote
 Pottie

Posted 12 September 2021 - 3:58 pm
Other were mentioning that disabling IPv6 in networt properties were fixing their issues.
Thanks. I tried disabling IPv6 but it did not change the behaviour.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Pottie

Posted 12 September 2021 - 4:03 pm
+chris@voobly wrote:
Run this in an administrator elevated command prompt. [...]
Didn't change anything.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 12 September 2021 - 4:09 pm
Pottie wrote:
Thanks. I tried disabling IPv6 but it did not change the behaviour.
[You must login to view link]

You must login into Voobly to view image
Link | Reply | Quote
 Pottie

Posted 12 September 2021 - 4:10 pm
I'd prefer not to run even more system tools, and risk breaking something else. There is no general system problem, as the executable runs fine when renamed.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:20 pm
Please get back to me once you are back from your holidays. :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 Pottie

Posted 2 January 2022 - 4:50 pm
I did contact you early October but have no reply yet. The weird one minute delay remains, unless
- the AoC executable is renamed OR
- network is disconnected
Of course, this looks much like a firewall problem, but the exceptions for Voobly and AoC are there, and I don't know what else to change in the firewall settings.

Link | Reply | Quote
1[2]3
Displaying 16 - 30 out of 32 posts