Empire Wars on Voobly

+pablo@voobly

Community Patch Developer

Edited 1 October 2021 - 10:33 am by +pablo@voobly
Empire Wars is a new game mode introduced in Age of Empires II Definitive Edition where the players start already in Feudal Age with an already established economy. The main idea is to bypass the early build-up phase of the game.

Replicating this mode in the old AoC we use in Voobly is virtually impossible. Definitive Edition introduced several new commands on the map generation scripts that allow placing villagers near resources and have them working at the start of the game. All this allows random map generation so that every match is different.

There is however one thing we can do to mimic Empire Wars on Voobly: custom scenarios. Through the scenario editor it’s possible to create a base, populate it with villagers and set them to work right away so that the game feels like an Empire Wars game. You can see an example for that in the scenario “2021-08-25_pancrol” currently included in v1.6 Game Data. Unfortunately, through custom scenarios we can not have random map generation as the scenarios are created manually, one at a time.

And this is where I want to ask for the help of the Voobly community. It is very simple to have a folder full of Empire Wars scenarios and have a script that selects one randomly so that, every time you play a game, you get a different map. For that to work, we need people helping out to produce a large enough sample of Empire Wars maps.

The guide linked bellow will explain all the process needed to create a map, task villagers to resources and test it, so that everyone can create an Empire Wars scenario and send it to Voobly.

Currently, my intention is to produce 1v1 Arabia maps. If the response from the community is good, we'll expand the options.

A big thanks to everyone willing to collaborate on this endeavor.

[You must login to view link]

Scenarios received: 15.

Until the 17th of October
There will be a contest to produce Empire Wars Maps, join and get some rewards:
https://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/340759/
Link | Reply | Quote
 +[MM]jason

Posted 29 August 2021 - 3:17 pm
Talk to zix with php scripting he may be able to replicate a random map in a scenario.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +pablo@voobly

Posted 30 August 2021 - 7:06 am
+[MM]jason wrote:
Talk to zix with php scripting he may be able to replicate a random map in a scenario.
Can you link me his voobly profile or a way to contact him?
Regardless, the random sampling shouldn't be an issue. I'm possitive I can implement a function in the patch that would execute every time you launch the game and samples the scenario files. Since for every multiplayer game, you restart the game, it should work seamlessly.
Link | Reply | Quote
 ElTatoh

Posted 30 August 2021 - 7:53 pm
traigan empire wars a voobly
Link | Reply | Quote
 AnnTheWolf

Posted 30 August 2021 - 7:57 pm
Empire wars please
Link | Reply | Quote
 September90

Posted 30 August 2021 - 7:59 pm
I do NOT agree, with bringing Empire Wars to Voobly!

The classic Random Map game mode has lasted for 20 years, its out lived Death Match and Custom Scenario lobbies, because it is the best and preferred game mode. Starting from 3 villies and a scout to a massive empire.

Why dilute the player base further, when you havnt even added the rest of the DE civs to the game.

When you get the licenses for all the new DE civs and give them a proper unit and game balance on Voobly then you can talk about bringing Empire Wars to Voobly.

Right now standard DE version of AoE is very very very unbalanced and the unit counters are awful.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _ChUkI

Posted 30 August 2021 - 7:59 pm
i wanna EW in voobly
Link | Reply | Quote
 [QosQo]IvanLannister

Posted 30 August 2021 - 9:41 pm
good job friends ,
Link | Reply | Quote
 TheViver

Posted 31 August 2021 - 12:10 am
30 wololoooo
Link | Reply | Quote
 icaro

Posted 31 August 2021 - 12:16 am
Eu quero Empire Wars na Voobly!!!!!!!!!!!!! Por favor!!! ;yahoo
Link | Reply | Quote
 AndyLongshank

Posted 31 August 2021 - 12:23 am
BRING EMPIRE WARS TO VOOBLY OR WE GO ON HUNGER STRIKE!! WE WONT EAT THE SHEEP UNDER TC
Link | Reply | Quote
 Icey

Posted 31 August 2021 - 7:31 am
From someone who takes an interest in getting people to play his work.

Dont waste your time on this.
Empire wars is barely played
Link | Reply | Quote
 +pablo@voobly

Posted 31 August 2021 - 8:56 am
Icey wrote:
From someone who takes an interest in getting people to play his work.

Dont waste your time on this.
Empire wars is barely played
Judging from my Youtube recomendations and the messages above, I disagree.
Regardless, I'm not "wasting my time"; it's impossible for me to produce enough scenarios for the game mode to be played. I did the guide and the demo scenario and moved on to Dawn of the Dukes. I need people helping out to create the maps or this won't work.
Link | Reply | Quote
 ['WLord]_Whitaker_TG_

Posted 31 August 2021 - 5:49 pm
pancrol colega unos amigos y yo estamos creando una fuente de mapas yo no parare hasta que sea suficiente para jugar EW o Empires War aprecion mucho tu trabajo
y espero que pronto agregues mas civilizaciones al community patch v1.6
Link | Reply | Quote
 [TiRex]papoch

Posted 31 August 2021 - 5:52 pm
que se venga el empires wars a voobly

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]234
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 48 posts