Community Forums > Voobly Community > Other Games > Age Of Mythology > Discussion: Updating our rating system

Discussion: Updating our rating system

[PXx]3antozz

Posted 28 August 2022 - 9:49 pm
1. New players getting a 1300 rating with handsome multipliers (win multipliers but not lose multipliers to encourage them to play more)
Doesn't x3 multiplayer encourages smurfing tho?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Edited 28 August 2022 - 10:24 pm by +miko@voobly
To ChronoJJ: I understand your theory, but this is actually not the case. The height of the rating shouldn't change since the system remains the same, but the ratings won't fluctuate +/- 20 points per match anymore and so the ratings will be more stable. This will mean that if someone is 1650, he actually plays like 1650. In the current system if someone is 1650, he may be 1580 or he may he 1720, you don't know.

Especially since we won't reset the ratings with this change, the spread wouldn't be affected. People will be able to have a rating matching their skill anywhere between 1350 and 2000, just like it has always been.

What we propose to change is in short:
1) Set the maximum points that can be won/lost per match to 8 for 1v1, 5 for 2v2 and 3 for 3v3 and up. Or we make the maximum 5 for both 1v1 and all TG variants.
2) Set a multiplier for the new players, which makes them win/lose 3x more points in the first 10 games. Teammates in TG are unaffected by this multiplier.

===================================

To 3antozz: I don't think it will encourage smurfing. Since getting to top ratings will be a time consuming process even with the boost due to the decreased maximum that can be won, I think we don't have to worry about an increase in smurfing. My personal expectation is that the changes will discourage it, if anything.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +[OB_]ChronoJJ

Edited 30 August 2022 - 5:06 pm by +[OB_]ChronoJJ
Keeping the ratings as is but changing the point spread seems quite absurd to me, as does a point spread of only 3 in a team game. Maybe I am the crazy one, but overall the proposed concept just boggles my mind. I just really don't understand how it would help.

Don't get me wrong, there are some things that can be improved (lower decay floor for team game rating probably even 1x1, and have a more forgiving formula for rating differentials), but this rating change doesn't do anything other than give current users a one-time 2.5x rating bonus/penalty for 1x1s and a 4x or 6.66x bonus/penalty for team games (using only max points, average points would be even higher x). For the 1x1 new account multiplier, who knows if it's good or bad, it seems to be a trend for rating systems in modern multiplayer games, so probably it's been been good for them (i just don't know for here how it'd work).
Link | Reply | Quote
 [vR]NeaR____

Edited 2 September 2022 - 8:01 am by +chris@voobly
in my opinion voobly need a whole system update its visual ratings system and mmo system is old

Link | Reply | Quote
12[3]
Displaying 31 - 34 out of 34 posts