Indiscriminate IP range bans

[SWG]_RvA_

Posted 25 March 2023 - 8:28 pm
I have been unable to access the Voobly website for a month now. Upon further inspection it appears that the entire IP range of RU is banned (tested from 3 different ISPs). I have read the announcement, and there appears to be more indiscriminate bans in place. I would like a statement from the Voobly staff on whether you intend to take steps to solve the problem, and what expectations should we have as users. Thanks for the response in advance.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 26 March 2023 - 1:30 pm by +chris@voobly
We are having issues with spam bots for the past couple of months. There exists a pattern how those accounts are being registered and then used on Voobly, we monitor them and then ban their ip addresses.

This ranges from compromised servers in a datacenter to comprimised computers in a dynamic ip pool. In case of a dynamic ip pools we are forced to ban the whole /16 or /24 network if their acticity disrupts our online service. In average Cloudflare blocks more than 14k bots per hour, most of them are from Russia (1), Syria (2), Ukraine (3) and many African countries and Desert states. Things would be easier if we could afford a Cloudflare subscription, where an enterprise bot protection is available with an actively maintained ip block list.

Right now, it's up to what we detect and block through Cloudflare using their API. It however only affects the web site, not our client services. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 2 out of 2 posts