I just read that voobly isn't supporting windows 7 anymore since 2020
but i'm still using windows 7 and can still play
so what's the big deal?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Posted 27 March 2023 - 11:48 am
Hi I_AM_THE_BEST,

Let me explain what we meant in that thread and how things have changed and haven't changed. As you have read Voobly is built on the Qt framework. As Qt version 5 reached its end of support we have to move on to version 6, which only supports Windows 10 and 11. The reason we are still able to use Voobly (yes, I'm on Windows 7 myself ;good) is that we haven't released the new version of the Voobly client yet.

Also keep in mind that there is a difference between support and being able to run it. For example: Voobly still runs on my Windows 2000 computer, but that hasn't been supported for a long time. It basically means that developers don't keep the old operating system in mind when programming a new release. If it still works: great, if not: too bad you're on your own.

We have waited to release the new version, because we have been working on a compatibility layer that allows Windows 7 users to use the new Voobly client. Since I'm not involved in the development of the client myself, I can't tell you any details or if the Windows 7 compatibility will succeed, but it is possible that Voobly will continue to run on Windows 7 for the foreseeable future.

That being said, we recommend using a supported operating system like Windows 10 or 11 for security reasons. Windows 7 support from Microsoft ended on 14 January 2020 and Microsoft's ESU program ended on 10 January 2023, which means that no version of Windows 7 has received any critical security updates since then. My computers will abandon Windows 7 as well in July 2023.
Link | Reply | Quote
 ZAA33

Edited 27 March 2023 - 9:35 pm by ZAA33
ok thanks man
i hope voobly keeps windows 7 compatibility
because windows 7 is THE BEST
Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:24 pm
You're welcome! :) I really like Windows 7 myself as well and I'm sad to say it's finally time to move on after 14 years. ;byecry
Link | Reply | Quote
 DianneBelle

Edited 27 June 2023 - 10:39 am by DianneBelle
I also want to know about it and thanks for explaining it to us in brief.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Edited 12 June 2023 - 12:01 pm by +miko@voobly
Voobly recommends against using an EOL operating system like Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, but it's not obligatory upgrade to Windows 11. Voobly will continue to work on Windows 7 and 8.1 in the near future, but we can't guarantee for how long.

Additionally, Windows 10 is not EOL yet, so if you're using Windows 10, you will be fine for multiple years to come. I hope this answers your question and if you have any further questions, please let me know.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 6 out of 6 posts