Failing to Launch AoM

iznomis

Posted 9 April 2023 - 7:43 am
I am using Age of Mythology: Extended Edition in Steam
Tale of Dragon is turned off
When I attempt either host a game in Voobly or join another game in the open lobby. I see the Age of Myth Extended Edition title window. Right after a blank white window with a text box and a blank button appears. Whenever I close the white window or press the button it just closes and im back in the Voobly game lobby chat. Any suggestions?
Attachments:
Screenshot_2.png (file size: 261.53 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Posted 9 April 2023 - 6:21 pm
Hi iznomis,

Thank you for contacting us and I'm sorry to year you couldn't get the game to launch. It isn't possible to use Age of Mythology: Extended Edition on Voobly without patching it first. Please install our compatibility patch and then you should be able to play on Voobly just fine: [You must login to view link] I hope this helps. ;good
Link | Reply | Quote
 iznomis

Edited 9 April 2023 - 6:50 pm by iznomis
Hey there. Forgot to mention that I already have the compatibility patch installed.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Edited 9 April 2023 - 6:55 pm by +miko@voobly
Alright, thank you for clarifying that. From the looks of it something went wrong with the installation then. Based on your screenshot I can see that at least the patch files from the gfxconfig2 folder and xpacklanguage.dll are missing, and probably more. Could you please both uninstall Age of Mythology: Extended Edition and the compatibility patch? After that try reinstalling it and check if it fixed your problem.
Link | Reply | Quote
 iznomis

Edited 9 April 2023 - 7:51 pm by iznomis
Yo I did a clean install on both Aom:EE in Steam and the compatibility patch. After doing that I was still receiving the glitch. I've tried copying over both of those files from C: Programs(x86) Microsoft Games AoM over to my Steam Library. After copying the gfxconfig2 folder over I tried to launch through Voobly and got a similar window, but smaller and with a red 'x' icon and and 'OK' button. Copied over the xpacklanduage.dll and now im getting a "MSXML 4.0 is not installed correctly. It is required to run the game" Error.

Edit: I also turned compatibility mode on for aomxnocd.exe to Windows XP Service pack 3 and clicked selected run as administrator
Link | Reply | Quote
 iznomis

Posted 9 April 2023 - 8:10 pm
I downloaded MSXML 4.0 from the microsoft website. Now im getting an initialization error. https://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/350383 I followed this post, but im still getting the error.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Posted 11 April 2023 - 11:23 am
I see. First of all, don't touch the Steam directory because you will be breaking your Steam installation. This is where your Voobly Age of Mythology files are stored: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology.

I assume you have installed MSXML 4.0. If not, please install it since it is required to run the game. Please make sure you have the [You must login to view link] as well, because as I recall Microsoft no longer distributes MSXML 4.0.

[You must login to view link] you will find the manual installation of the compatibility patch. Please extract the archive and copy the "Age of Mythology" folder to this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\. If it asks you to merge the folders, click yes. If it asks you to overwrite files, click also yes. After this copy aomx.exe and aomxnocd.exe to the Age of Mythology folder. and then you should be ready to play.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 7 out of 7 posts