Could not find game installation directory

joeybadz

Posted 8 May 2023 - 2:34 am
I'm having the same problem described in:
[You must login to view link]
https://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/350754/1#pagebrowser1

I even just tried a clean Windows 11 OS install, of course with the clean AOT & Voobly installations, and I'm still getting the same error. I tried the clean OS install because I initially tried the EE Compatibility patch to no success, and I heard that a clean OS install worked for others who went down that route.

I tried creating the Voobly Mods directory & subdirectories from the knowledge base article. It says to create a directory "AOT" even though on my other PC (windows 10), where everything works fine, it is named "Voobly Mods"/AOMT. I've tried it with both AOT & AOMT names, but still same issue.

Before my clean install, I was able to simply transfer the mods manually from my working PC to my new PC, and this did allow me to start AOT with mods, but does not allow me to download the updated mods or transfer the mods to others who join the lobby.

For completeness, here is the error I get when entering the AOT lobby (It also spawns three separate windows of "Downloading Update (Unknown)...":
Code:
Could not find game installation directory -- please join a lobby and run game diagnostics
and here is the output of Game Diagnostics:
Code:
Installation path reported by registry is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology' Verifying 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\aomx.exe' exists... Success! Voobly path is 'c:\program files (x86)\voobly' Game version is '1.03'

Also, FYI it wasn't that easy to find/navigate the forums to search for answers. The link "Do you need help? Click here to open the technical support forum." leads to a dead page https://www.voobly.com/forum/view/603

Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Posted 8 May 2023 - 9:50 pm
Hi joeybadz,

Thank you for contacting us and I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with AOT. What exactly is the problem you're having? Can you not start the game at all or are you unable to download/play with Voobly mods?
Link | Reply | Quote
 joeybadz

Posted 9 May 2023 - 2:49 am
I'm unable to download/play with the Voobly mods. If I press "cancel" on all the error messages that pop up when I join the AOT lobby, I can start a game room and start AOT just fine otherwise. There's no option to select a mod when I'm in the game room, unless I manually transfer the "Voobly Mods" directory from a working pc / voobly installation. This solution breaks down when there are updates to the mods though
Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Edited 9 May 2023 - 8:08 pm by +miko@voobly
I understand. Please try opening the Internet Options (Accessible through the Control Panel or Internet Explorer) and select Medium in the Security tab. Also, select Accept All Cookies in the Privacy tab. Then check again whether you can download the updates.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 10 May 2023 - 7:57 am
joeybadz wrote:
I'm unable to download/play with the Voobly mods. If I press "cancel" on all the error messages that pop up when I join the AOT lobby

Could you please take a screenshot of all those error messages, so we can review them? Thank you.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Tops_]lagthc_zanail

Posted 11 May 2023 - 2:09 am
REPPLY ACCOUNT tauros_br idk my password and need something return for moderator can i control acess babylon please thk you remember
Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Posted 11 May 2023 - 11:54 am
@lagthc_zanail for forgotten passwords you need to create a thread here. Only then can we help you further. Thank you.
Link | Reply | Quote
 joeybadz

Posted 17 May 2023 - 6:26 pm
Here's the screenshotted errors
Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-05-17 122515.png (file size: 13.38 KB)
Screenshot 2023-05-17 122629.png (file size: 22.81 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 joeybadz

Posted 17 May 2023 - 6:28 pm
I tried setting the internet options security to Medium, and am set to allow all cookies. Still have the same error though :(
Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Edited 18 May 2023 - 5:08 pm by +chris@voobly
Thank you for providing us with the details and I'm sorry to hear the Internet Options fix didn't work. We have noticed you are using an IPv6 address, which isn't supported by the game. Please turn off IPv6 in your router and use IPv4 instead. Then try updating Voobly again and see if the issue is fixed.
Link | Reply | Quote
 joeybadz

Posted 20 May 2023 - 9:43 pm
Thanks, I disabled IPv6 and still have the same issue. It sounds unlikely to be related to my problem anyway though, since I can run the game itself fine, and if I manually install these voobly mods (copied from a working computer), I am able to play against other players just fine. It seems the problem is only related to how voobly finds the game installation. Are there any other log files or anything I can dig up related to the error messages I'm seeing?
Link | Reply | Quote
 joeybadz

Posted 20 May 2023 - 9:56 pm
Not sure if it's expected, but random thing I noticed: If I try to run C:\Program Files (x86)\Voobly\voobly-update.exe, I get the error: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 20 May 2023 - 10:01 pm
joeybadz wrote:
Not sure if it's expected, but random thing I noticed: If I try to run C:\Program Files (x86)\Voobly\voobly-update.exe, I get the error: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Then I have an idea. Please go to [You must login to view link] and click Free Download to run the free Home Version of Malwarebytes Anti Malware. Install the application and run a full system scan. Please post the result here.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 13 out of 13 posts