Community Forums > Voobly General > Announcements > AOT rating system update - May 2023

AOT rating system update - May 2023

+miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Edited 21 May 2023 - 12:08 pm by +miko@voobly
Hi fellow AOT players,

Last summer we discussed a potential update of our rating system in this thread. Even though the details of a new rating system couldn't be universally agreed upon by everyone, we all agreed that it was time for a change.

You may or may not have noticed, but last Thursday (18/05/2023) we updated the rating system for all ladders in the AOT Main Lobby. We have decided for now to implement the rating system that has been used and liked in AOC for a long time.

The most notable changes are the following
1) We increased the decay floor from 1799 to 2000 and increased the decay interval from 7 days to 14 days, meaning the decay goes slower.
2) The maximum amount of points that can be won/lost during a match has been significantly decreased in order to make the ratings more stable and more representative of ones skill.
3) We implemented a new player boost, which means new accounts get a multiplier on the amount of points they win or lose for their first 16 games. This way players get to their real rate faster. This solves the problem of beginners having a too high rating and combats smurfing, since smurf accounts will become pointless after just a few games. This feature is comparable to the placement matches in League of Legends.

This is what we have decided to go with for now, but if you would like to share your opinion or feedback, feel free to do so in this thread. Also, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask either.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Furkanthegreat

Posted 21 May 2023 - 6:15 pm
Hello There, indeed I think this new system is bad old was better it is like 2013-2016 game
there is no decay :https://www.voobly.com/ladder/view/Age-of-Mythology-The-Titans/1v1-Supremacy-2016
also similar to 2011-2013 :https://www.voobly.com/ladder/view/Age-of-Mythology-The-Titans/1v1-Supremacy-2013
now any good player can stay in top20 with 2000 rating xd indeed it will increase to smurf accounts
when a pro player reach 2k he will say him well why I don't create new account and reach 2000 rating
and 7 days to 14 days decay shows voobly aom is dying it should be same to not give negative view to new players?
thats what I think.
sorry for punctuation and spelling mistakes.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 21 May 2023 - 6:51 pm
It's indeed difficult to avoid rating decay with your 200+ smurf accounts, Furkan!
Link | Reply | Quote
 Furkanthegreat

Edited 21 May 2023 - 7:43 pm by Furkanthegreat
do u take nottes? xd:P just kidding
Link | Reply | Quote
 [KINGS_]OdinKing12

Posted 21 May 2023 - 8:43 pm
Looking foward to seeing the impact of these changes !!
Link | Reply | Quote
 +[OB_]ChronoJJ

Posted 21 May 2023 - 10:06 pm
Is the formula the same, but with smaller number of points to win/lose?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Edited 21 May 2023 - 10:28 pm by +miko@voobly
To OdinKing12: I'm glad to hear you're enthusiastic. :)

To ChronoJJ: We implemented the AOC settings, meaning we replaced the ESO algorithm with the ELO algorithm.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [JSS_]__Grass

Edited 22 May 2023 - 12:05 am by [JSS_]__Grass
is this joke? possible change back? kaustro initiated this change? smurf paradise gonna happen
Link | Reply | Quote
 [PXx]3antozz

Posted 22 May 2023 - 12:02 am
this is a recipe to disaster, we already have 1 person holding 2-3 spots in top15, now it's gonna be even more... Im pretty sure there is a rule that states that u cannot hold 2 spots in top15 playing the same god, and this rule was never really implemented since there's plenty of them. Cheers
Link | Reply | Quote
 [KeeN]KazuoTaoka

Edited 22 May 2023 - 4:02 pm by [KeeN]KazuoTaoka
xdddddddddddddd
Link | Reply | Quote
 LorgaleTooser

Posted 22 May 2023 - 4:04 pm
No comment. This platform as usual, 1 step forward 2 steps back
Link | Reply | Quote
 [_RPG]Explicito

Edited 22 May 2023 - 5:16 pm by [_RPG]Explicito
HELLO :)
THESE ARE GREAT NEWS FOR AOM PLAYERS LIKE ME
NOW I WILL GET 2K+ IN ALL MY ACCOUNTS EASILY
SOON I WILL BE BACK

1800 before = 2k+ now
1600 will become 1800
Link | Reply | Quote
 [DoD]HellsRavage

Edited 22 May 2023 - 5:53 pm by [DoD]HellsRavage
Hi,

I think this is my first time actually posting on the Voobly forum. Typically, Voobly admin are so absent from doing anything that resembles change (positive or negative) for their AOT platform (and maybe other games - I only play one), I've never had a reason to come here. Voobly has now had their AOT platform for 10ish years, and the community has received (at best) the minimal amount of effort from admins in broadening the player base or enhancing the platform to improve the experience (wish list includes quick-start ladder and sponsored tournaments etc.) In fact, all or most materially positive changes (blind pick, balance patches & tournaments) have come from the community.

This is particularly strange to me since of course Voobly has a vested financial interest in getting as many players in the lobby and then keeping them here. Honestly, I have no idea what the structure of Voobly looks like: is most of the technical and community support built on the back of unpaid and selfless volunteers who we are very luck to have? Are there are only a few, dedicated actual staff members? Voobly is of course to some degree a business, so there are at least a few folks who are actually responsible for the financial wellbeing, technical support & security, community relations etc). Do even these folks have other jobs in which they dedicate most of their time and Voobly is only a side project?

Only the answers to these questions could shed light on whether voobly is a passion project neglected, or a greater failure. I don't hold high standards for community volunteers who selflessly dedicate their extra time to the game they love. But those who are ultimately responsible for Voobly in a professional sense should be disappointed in themselves when it comes to the development of the platform and the experience.

Anyway, I can count on one hand how many significant changes have been created and implemented by Voobly staff in 10 years for this outdated platform. This rating change is one of them. Honestly, I have no idea whether this is a positive or negative change for the community. But least you're doing something for once

Edit: Hopefully it is clear this is in no way a rebuke of the time and effort spent by those dedicating time and effort. I know that if anything, it's often hard to get positive changes passed through the bureacracy of Voobly. This post is intended to ask those actually in charge of Voobly to look in the mirror.

Link | Reply | Quote
 cyfer_kr

Edited 22 May 2023 - 7:33 pm by cyfer_kr
as mentioned this change gonna increase smurfing, not decrease it. also you get way too many points for winning lower level players.

example: suppe 1920 receives 10 points for winning a 1740. rapl reach 2k by farming a 1700 for 5 points each game. idk 2k rating still has been a somewhat magical number in aot history. i dont get that change, not that i care much. just my 2 cents.

if you really dislike smurfing / see it as a problem for general gaming experience, just dont allow it. do a fusion for once, so player XY gets all games on one account, give him highest rating he 'owns' and from there on one acc per player. maybe by ip, ppl will find a workarround but its still gonna decrease smurfing and just a few tryhards gonna use a vpn to avoid that.

p.s have been or still am (some ppl think so) smurfing myself since 20 years, its not about points. you wont stop them to create new account just by fixing the rating system. smurfing is passion. it's

a) make ppl guess who you are
b) some people (sad story) troll or flame others, while they wouldnt on their main so they dont have knorrs reputation
c) some people perform better on smurf accounts, since we are a small player base and some people dont want to get blamed by community losing to player xy, ego thing - less pressure by using unknown id.

d) my most common reason i do it, its tough to find games esp if you play TG. you still wanna be able to enjoy the game, but you get kicked in some rooms if your rating is too high, means no games for you.

points are just a side note. new account xy worked well statswise, you keep going. if not you create new one. why would a rating system change, fix that? i dont see it.

Edit:

something you probably hadn't in mind is pointtrading, you made it extremely easy by boosting first 16 games. im pretty sure its not very common, but im also sure some people still do it.
i had wierd offers when i was on my mexican smurf Loco_eL_Croco by someone, who thought im crazy loco, asking me what i need / offering me sth by telling me he has multiple 1800 accounts. So keep that in mind aswell in case you see suspicious activities.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Edited 22 May 2023 - 8:04 pm by +miko@voobly
The ratings will be more inflated down the line, but that will be a good thing. As it was, almost all the players were between 1550 and 1750 and fluctuated constantly. If all the ratings are pushed in such a small corridor it will be hard to find players of the appropriate level, since a 1700 may in reality be a 1600 and vice versa. The ratings will be more spread out now from on, which will make the rating represent someone's skill better and there for it will be easier to find skill-appropriate opponents.

As for the smurfing argument. If you look at the AOC ladder that has had these settings for a long time, you can see that only very few players surpass the 2000 mark, especially considering that their community is about seven times bigger than ours. To those worried about smurfing I'd say: try surpassing 2000 with multiple accounts and keeping them all above that level. Based on the experience AOC taught us, I expect you will find it harder than it looks at first glance.

As for point trading. Point trading is a violation of our Code of Conduct and will be dealt with accordingly.

We know the change is big, but give it a chance to see how it develops. Down the line you may find yourself even liking the change.

All our Voobly staff consists of volunteers. Voobly is a community project, meaning everyone has to do his share to keep our community great and alive: admin, lead, member plus and player. The experience is as nice as the people in the community are willing to make it. Our staff is just here to assist with this. We encourage players from the community to step up and do things for the community, for example: hosting tournaments, updating maps and creating balance patches. In addition, those that are interested to help us are encouraged to [You must login to view link].

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]234
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 53 posts