Community Forums > Voobly Community > Age of Empires II: The Conquerors > Random Map > Tips for a 2v1 RM Game in New Player Lobby?

Tips for a 2v1 RM Game in New Player Lobby?

TheAnig140895

Posted 6 February 2013 - 2:15 pm
Backstory :-
Two of my friends joined recently in Voobly. Although they are new to Voobly as previously stated, they have some experience on GameRanger hence you cannot discount them as n00bs per-se. But since they are relatively new to the system, they plan on teaming up against me.

Hence,

Query :-
I wish to know some crucial tips and tricks for handling a 2v1 game in which both the players are good enough to sustain themselves to Castle Age under normal circumstances. Despite the backstory please do NOT overestimate my abilities as I am NOT a "pro" player by any stretch of the imagination.
Any tips regarding maps, civilizations, build order, tech researches for the aforementioned civilizations and any links to recordings are generously welcome.

Thanking You people in advance.

-TheAnig140895
Link | Reply | Quote
 Good

Edited 6 February 2013 - 3:03 pm by Good
Hey,

I'm not an RM pro or anything, so I will refrain from commenting on the specifics of build orders and techs, however, if you have a skill advantage over the players, I would recommend an open map such as Arabia/Green Arabia or possibly Gold Rush would be the most beneficial to you. A map such as Arena would also give you benefits.

Essentially, you want to use your skill advantage to weaken your opponents and frustrate them as early as possible in the game, as the more they build up, the stronger they will be and more difficult for you to overcome them together.

A general strategy for 2v1 is normally to attack the stronger of the 2 players first. The weaker player is less of a problem, so prioritise the most skilled opponent. Often, if you attack early enough, the 2nd (weaker) player may try and help his partner at his base, so you will only be fighting in one location anyway.

Depending on how much better you are than your opponents, you may choose to FC. If you are able to Castle Age a lot earlier than them, you may then choose to attack the weaker opponent first and effectively make the game into a 1v1.
Link | Reply | Quote
 BH_totoro

Posted 6 February 2013 - 10:28 pm
wow good advice
Link | Reply | Quote
 TheAnig140895

Posted 7 February 2013 - 1:56 pm
Thanks everyone for their replies. Will use the above strategy.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Scott_Hall

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:16 am
dont play 2v1 or the mods will ban the 2 people. it happened to my friends
Link | Reply | Quote
 AfganistanPower

Posted 26 April 2013 - 9:44 am
if u play normal speed , u will suck it
play it at fast speed and attack weak one first then return attack strong , fast speed run 28+2 , c/a attack
( fast castle )
Link | Reply | Quote
 Good

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:41 pm
How has this been working out for you?

2v1 is always a strong test, I've won a few in DM, but my RM skills are not anywhere near competing on this level yet.

You could also consider/ask whether your opponents would consider taking civilsations like vikings or birtons, whilst you take a civilisation such as huns or mongols. Early games you should have the upper hand and it may help you when fighting your opponents.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Laochra

Posted 26 April 2013 - 5:24 pm
good has given umm... good advice lol, ive had a few 1v1s in my time, usually 2v2s where my ally dropped early game and the other 2 wouldnt save and exit =/
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Eot_]DJ

Posted 28 December 2013 - 8:43 am
I'd full wall and mini-boom.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 9 out of 9 posts