what causes a map to freeze?

Is_this_my_name

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:38 am
Im wondering if anyone actually knows for sure what causes maps to freeze?
Rambit CB seems to freeze about 10-40% of games is my guess, but I dont recall any other map freezing that Ive played. does anyone know of any other maps that freeze?
by freeze I mean for everyone in the game, you are still in the game but cant do anything and you have to use ctrl+alt+del to exit.

Ive tried a bit of testing to try and figure out what causes it. so far figured out with about 15 taskers + 15 create object effects in 1 trigger looped. the units will move fine to start then once you get enough units (seems to be random amounts) they will stop moving and continuosly freeze themselves. if I wait till all 15 taskers stop, then delete a bunch of that same unit, they will start going again. but its not just because the units i deleted were in the way, i tried it with units on a different island and it still makes most of the units being tasked suddenly start again. I also tried deleting a different type of unit to get them goin again but that didnt work. very weird
Link | Reply | Quote
 Rambit

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:56 am
I have personally never experienced a freeze on any map ever - so I am going to go out on a limb and assume it causes crashing for me but freezing for you. In which case you would need to go through the check list in regards to how to prevent crashing.

Link | Reply | Quote
 Rambit

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:58 am
Quote:
Ive tried a bit of testing to try and figure out what causes it. so far figured out with about 15 taskers + 15 create object effects in 1 trigger looped. the units will move fine to start then once you get enough units (seems to be random amounts) they will stop moving and continuosly freeze themselves.
That is just the map working too hard. Happens on TD's all the time. Personally I avoid it by putting timers on the taskers.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _Ox_Weapon_xO_

Posted 11 February 2013 - 1:22 am
Freezing has always been an issue. Back in the days of the zone I even remember Soldier Store freezing in AoK. It probably just can't be stopped. *shakes fist*
Link | Reply | Quote
 Coat_of_Arms

Posted 11 February 2013 - 9:55 am
Seems you never played CBA Hero, that freezes in around 1/15 games or less.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _LaoZi_

Posted 12 February 2013 - 4:20 pm
Bugs in maps;
Human cheating to crash games;
Computer and network error (computer out of memory, or memory leak).

If the crash rate is >10%, then that map should be trashed.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Coat_of_Arms

Edited 12 February 2013 - 4:32 pm by Coat_of_Arms
-Now that population limit was reduced in CBA Hero and you have the hero spawn blocker it can crash only on purpose.
-in RCB there are way too many units. If they powerup even worse. That's why you should kill people faster (and you have an excuse to call the others "OMG KILL P3 OR GAME CRASHES!!!" rofl )
If you found a problem trigger report it to Weapon and hopefully he'll fix it.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Is_this_my_name

Posted 19 February 2013 - 6:31 am
Quote:
I have personally never experienced a freeze on any map ever - so I am going to go out on a limb and assume it causes crashing for me but freezing for you. In which case you would need to go through the check list in regards to how to prevent crashing.
I'm surprised. I thought it froze for everyone. sometimes maps used to crash for me, but thats different, and its always from triggers in the map.
Quote:
Freezing has always been an issue. Back in the days of the zone I even remember Soldier Store freezing in AoK. It probably just can't be stopped. *shakes fist*
did it freeze often? and was there a lot of units or triggers in that map?
Quote:
-Now that population limit was reduced in CBA Hero and you have the hero spawn blocker it can crash only on purpose.
-in RCB there are way too many units. If they powerup even worse. That's why you should kill people faster (and you have an excuse to call the others "OMG KILL P3 OR GAME CRASHES!!!" )
If you found a problem trigger report it to Weapon and hopefully he'll fix it.
what do you mean it can crash on purpose? players actually cause it to crash? but then you are talking about crashing which may be different from freezing. But maybe reducing units in RCB would be a good way to prevent freezing.

but anyways, I just played a CBF game that froze, which has almost no ongoing triggers and apparently CBA can freeze. So Im starting to think its only units that cause it. when RCB freezes theres almost always huge battles going on.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Coat_of_Arms

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:31 pm
Freeze is probably the computer's "I can't do this anymore". Like too many units, etc.

But there also are/were bugs like in any program. Elusive fixed a bug that was related to the "Follow command", that freezes the game then it crashes, was on the Announcements forum a while ago.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _Ox_Weapon_xO_

Posted 19 February 2013 - 1:42 pm
Hopefully AoFE will fix some of the freezing aspects but people will have to play it and they seem somewhat reluctant to do so in CS. I do know they fixed the sync bug in AoFE too which is awesome.

Soldier Store was a small map with only about 400 triggers and the pop was only ~42 all game.

Freezing is bull**** though. So much time wasted trying to make RCB not freeze and it still does.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Coat_of_Arms

Posted 19 February 2013 - 7:37 pm
Forget what I said...today 2 games froze out of nothing. One was unrated vs a friend, under 3 minutes, one was a rated CBA Hero FFA, under 3 minutes too (one player had a 3G connection, but the second game with him lagged a lot with small freezes)
Nothing in common, but both froze early.
Link | Reply | Quote
 KiDDinG_YoU

Posted 22 February 2013 - 2:09 pm
too many units and large battle, too many triggers
Link | Reply | Quote
 ZiZaUuu

Posted 21 March 2013 - 9:11 am
goodnight.
Today I played against the player "qwertyuiop"
I won the game but lost the points,
I also saw the statistics is that their games lasted 2-4 minutes,
He is a 2000 + player + hope analizem about it because haker be bannido the Voobly ..

RG'll send to you to draw your conclusions

thank you
Attachments:
Jogo gravado 1.rcx (file size: 9.83 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 13 out of 13 posts