Community Forums > Voobly Community > Other Games > Midtown Madness > Info: Midtown Madness 2 - Ports

Info: Midtown Madness 2 - Ports

PANASONIC

Posted 26 September 2010 - 8:29 am
I had trouble playing Midtown Madness 2 on Voobly. When someone else launched a game, it would take almost a minute for the game to load (And the join button would lighten up prompting me to click it when it's not necessary to do so), and it would take me to the main screen of the game, not the multiplayer lobby, so I couldn't access the online game. Whenever I hosted the game, it would load in about 20 seconds, but noone else was able to connect to the game, and despite being at the multiplayer lobby of MM2, when I clicked "go drive" nothing happened, a sound effect would play but I couldn't leave that screen; I had to close the game and return to the voobly lounge. _HoMeR_ told me to open some UDP/TCP ports, so I found [You must login to view link] that says which ports are required when "Using DirectX 8 or a later version" (I had 9.0c), and fowarded those ports manually on my router and my Windows Firewall and still nothing changed. Then "masterofnocrack" helped me open the "voobly messenger" window, and press CTRL+S, access the "NAT Transversal" submenu and check "Always use proxy server (not recommended)". Now it works, although using that proxy server increases my ping time. It is advised to turn that off when you stop playing MM2 for it will cause lag for other games. I only know what i know about NAT, Ping, etc from reading wikipedia, so if there's any technical error, just understand that these steps can fix this problem, regardless what i think I'm actually doing. Se habla español.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _HoMeR_

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:18 pm
Hey PANASONIC,

Sorry I couldn't help you further the other day.

First advice before playing MM2: Disable Windows Firewall.

NAT Feature - Don't use the NAT yet, as its not refined for MM2 yet. MM2's NAT is being worked on which will be released soon, so make sure there's no checkmark on that.

MM2 Lag problems:
Can be caused by a number of factors. Type your computer specifications here. Also, perform a speed test here: "[You must login to view link]" - and let us know your internet speed.
- Check your computer for any viruses/worms/adware.
- Check to make sure you have the latest video drivers for your video card.
- Check your internet connection, if there are files being downloaded - the connection can significantly lose packets, hence creating lag.
- What router/modem do you have?
Link | Reply | Quote
 PANASONIC

Posted 27 September 2010 - 1:06 am
It's allright _HoMeR_, thanks to you and masterofnocrack I can play now. I just posted this because it seems most of the people should do sth like this so that they can play, and I was quite confused about how to set up a multiplayer game because it takes so much for the game to load (when someone else launches a game) that when someone else launched the game, i had the "join Game" button lit up for about 30 seconds, and the game wouldn't start on itself, so i pressed that button and screwed up the automatic launch. Also it was strange for me that you can't launch a game if there's noone else in MM2 multiplayer lobby, so i started thinking that my copy of MM2 had some problems...
In the link from microsoft that i posted there's a complete list of UDP/TCP ports for every DirectX available, and also it could help someone that I explain what happened to me, so that they can check wether or not their problem is the same i had. I couldn't reply to your previous thread because it's locked, maybe it would be helpful for other new user to include this information on your thread, which appears at the top of the forum.
I played yesterday and had no lag problems, i can't test my connection right now because i have other programs and PCs using my internet connection (ADSL by LAN+WiFi). But voobly shows my ping as lower than 110ms.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _HoMeR_

Posted 30 September 2010 - 5:56 pm
I'm glad its all sorted out now, I did play a successful game with you the other night - so that showed some progress ;)

I see why you were confused, yeah I think I should make a tutorial for newbies =@
The ping at voobly is in correspondence to how your connection responds back to the application itself, sometimes its irrelevant as the main thing that matters is where you are located (on earth :P). But anything beyond 3.0Mbps should give you a pretty good game.
Link | Reply | Quote
 timnboys2

Edited 20 December 2010 - 6:49 pm by timnboys2
I am having the same problem. I disabled the windows firewall, I have set a port trigger like this:
You must login into Voobly to view image
and I setup the port forwarding like this:
and also I had to make the some parts of the images blurred for security reasons(To Protect my Computers) And I went to [You must login to view link] and I took a screenshot of it:

And I have a linksys wrt54g2 router and I have a embarq modem(The one given to me by my isp company)
I have the latest drivers for my graphics card or video card
And I have no viruses on my computer.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _MID_fudgie

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:51 pm
you cannot port trigger and port forward the same ports, that will cause the router to throw a wobbly. [You must login to view link] usually helps most people sort their router problems out. Heres the guide for your router right here >>> [You must login to view link]

as you will notice, the options that link asks you to input are just ports forwarded, not triggers, although some routers do prefer to use triggers over port forwarding ;)

Best of luck, any problems ask away ;)
Link | Reply | Quote
 _XBD_sk8_

Posted 27 December 2010 - 5:38 am
at least its not a dlink hein Fudgie :P
Link | Reply | Quote
 _MID_fudgie

Edited 10 January 2011 - 11:55 pm by _MID_fudgie
LOL I said enough about dlinks rofl

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 8 out of 8 posts