Suggest a mod for separate game chat

TheRoamingBoar

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:19 am
This is my newer topic. Cant find my old topic manually, so i recreate a new one. Hope it doesnt violate any rules :).

In need a mod like this.
In the heat of an aoe2 multiplayer game, i find it very hard to notice every team chat, when a teammate try to mention smthg or need some resource. Especially, the chat could be flooded with other notifications (like a villager is created) so its easily be ignored.

I know thats why aoe2 has voice taunts for some special communicates, but not everything needed is in there. Also, i know we could use pgup/pgdown, but again, the chat could be flooded, and moreover it is hard to try pgup every mins of the game when we were focusing at the frontier.

It would be nice if there is a mod that separate team and all chat to the separate location (together with the time when it was sent). Then it still stay there and wont be flooded and we could easily check when everything is cooled down a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n9gd-4DN4E
In this stream, TheViper has a window for friends chat in the bottom right corner. Maybe this will be a perfect location for a mod like this.

Yearn for this mod :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 Th0m

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:45 pm
I know this isn't what you're asking for but this might be helpful until someone clever can make a mod of this:
[You must login to view link]

Your suggestion sounds really helpful +1.
Link | Reply | Quote
 TheRoamingBoar

Posted 27 September 2014 - 6:37 pm
Thanks LnL_ :). That really helps for now.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [team B]Brainless

Edited 13 February 2015 - 6:29 am by [team B]Brainless
good point!
i have tought about this before. Because the resolution of most screens increase there is more room in the interface available for these kind of things.

This is what i have been thinking. Look at the link of viper playing, and take a note of the actual game screen (inside the interface). The width/height ratio looks around 2. Optimum would be about 1/1.5 taking the tile deformation of AOC in mind.

So what i am thinking of is a redesign of the interface layout, with the menus on the side instead on the bottom. The menu can take about 15-20% of the screen width, leaving vertically the screen 100% open for the main window.
This way you get:
1. a more square playing field,
2. better options for that extra room for additional interface modules.
3. a bigger mini-map (updated to current high resolutions)

The interface could have different docking modules like:
- long game chat
- diplomacy menu
- team menu
- showing all their resources, option to tribute through this menu: allies wont have to ask for tribute, you can spot any unbalance immedietly)
- showing your and their upgrades going on
- showing pop / vill / military / trade / idles
- facecam
- external chat module
- techtree module
etc
These modules should be easily switchable by a tab, or hotkey (rotating trough modules)

Well.. that is a lot and maybe more then what you are asking for, but any good thing starts with an idea.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 4 out of 4 posts