Blank error message when trying to launch game from voobly

Kuttzo

Posted 3 March 2018 - 12:22 am
I'm trying to get into playing AOE on voobly. Installed the game from Steam, the patch, voobly... basically follow all the instructions. Playing the game from steam is no problem, but trying to start it up from voobly I basically get a blank error message and the game wont start. Tryed to mess around with all the directX settings (get the common DirectX tool is set, try disabling etc). Game diagnostics comes up clean.

Found multiple posts that I've tryed to follow, tryed restarting basically everything. The only thing left to do is reinstall the game and thought I'd try this first. Any suggestions?
Attachments:
Voobly.PNG (file size: 133.95 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Edited 3 March 2018 - 1:28 am by kitt
hi
try these settings:
Link | Reply | Quote
 Kuttzo

Posted 3 March 2018 - 2:01 am
I followed the reinstall path (uninstalling AOE2 and the user patch) and that didn't work, and I also reinstalled voobly and same error. :(

Any other suggestions? I can launch age2_x1 & x2 no problem and the game runs fine, honestly. I feel like its a problem with voobly launching the game? I'm starting to run out of ideas :/
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MM]Gallas

Edited 3 March 2018 - 11:02 am by [MM]Gallas
Hi Kuttzo,

Try [You must login to view link] your language files and do not use any datamod for teststart. You may have corrupted file/s or you installed an offline mod which made it that.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Kuttzo

Posted 3 March 2018 - 4:36 pm
Hi, I tryed replacing the language files, but that didint work.

Live support suggested I get the new 1.5 patch. I got it from [You must login to view link] and followed the update install, which prompted a success message. Still the same error message. I've gone through several tutorials on how to install game correctly, but I still feel like I'm missing something.

Thanks again for your support!
Link | Reply | Quote
 Kuttzo

Posted 3 March 2018 - 4:57 pm
Jeez, I feel so stupid. I guess my punishment was hours of frustration.

This is for any future dumbasses like me.

So basically a few months ago I got started following players on youtube and got nostalgic. I pirated the game to try out and loved it. Wanted to get into multiplayer so I bought the game yesterday from steam. I uninstalled the illegitimate copy (in program files under AOE2HD) but I had already for some reason installed the comp patch there.

I got the game on steam, followed all the instructions etc. Everything on the gaming end worked fine but I got a persistent error message.

Game diagnostics seemed to be a-ok! After going back and forth, installing, uninstalling installing again nothing seemed to work. Until today I decided to really comb all the information I could gather. I found out that voobly was directed to the wrong folder... The game was non-existant, but the compatibility file and some support files were. Somehow voobly didint find anything wrong with that, lol :P

Everything is working fine now. Thanks tech support! :D
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Posted 3 March 2018 - 10:39 pm
hi
thats good

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 7 out of 7 posts