Community Forums > Voobly Support and Game Complaints Support > Client and Website related Problems and Questions > Why at home NAT works out of the box and not at my uni residence?

Why at home NAT works out of the box and not at my uni residence?

Sylve

Edited 1 December 2018 - 4:37 pm by Sylve
Hi,

At home I have no FP problem. However at my uni residence, I am FP to most users. Network Diagnostic tool tells me that I have a poor internet, with Symmetric NAT. The suggested solution is to forward ports 16000.

I asked the guy who manages the network but got unlucky and even if he forwards port 16000 to my local IP address, the Network Diagnostic tool still gives me the same warning message and I'm still FP. It is weird.

I was thus wondering why do I need port forwarding at my uni residence while I don't need it at home with my own router?

I was also wondering if there was any other solution than port forwarding. Is getting a VPN a good idea? I didn't find many infos on that thing called "user proxy", though I once played one guy with it, and I admit it was fairly decent. I don't want to annoy the guy who manages the network too much (he's a student too, and hasn't hours to spend on the issue).

(Please note that this post is not about how to fix my problem with the port forwarding which didn't work)

Thanks.
Link | Reply | Quote
 hassan

Posted 1 December 2018 - 5:00 pm
Salut.

Pour t'expliquer en détail ton problème, même si tu ouvres les ports vers ton PC, cela ne résoudra rien.

Il faudra que le responsable qui gère le réseau là-bas appelle le FAI (Fournisseur d'accès internet) et qu'il leur explique à propos des ports, car dans ce cas là, on vous attribue des ports aléatoires qui ne sont même pas fixes.

Donc de ton côté, tu es normalement réglo. Aussi, nous ne recommandons JAMAIS d'utiliser un VPN, car il peut engendrer beaucoup de problèmes de déconnexion (et comme tu le sais, une fois tu te déconnectes de AOC, impossible de revenir à moins de sauvegarder/restaurer la partie).

Voilà, j'espère que je t'ai éclairci le problème. N'hésite pas à poser d'autres questions si tu en as. Et n'hésite pas également d'aller dans notre Help Room qui est ouvert 24h/7j :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 Sylve

Posted 1 December 2018 - 5:48 pm
Hello,

Merci beaucoup !

Ce à quoi tu fais référence est plus ou moins ce que me dit le Network Diagnostic : "Your router assigned different public ports to all the test servers this will make it hard for users to directly connect to you. You will likely see a large number of fast proxies." C'est ça ?

Je vais juste essayer de jouer en 4G ou voir si on peut jouer sur les réseux FreeWifi, sinon tant pis je garderai AoC pour les vacances 11
Link | Reply | Quote
 hassan

Posted 1 December 2018 - 6:13 pm
Salut.

Oui c'est à peu près ça. Aussi, pour la 4G, il y a aussi des cas similaires de NAT symétrique, donc tu devras vérifier ça aussi :)

N'hésite pas si tu as d'autres questions.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 1 December 2018 - 10:30 pm
Sylve wrote:
I asked the guy who manages the network but got unlucky and even if he forwards port 16000 to my local IP address, the Network Diagnostic tool still gives me the same warning message and I'm still FP. It is weird.
https://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1012+Required+outgoing+firewall+configuration+for+Voobly

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 5 out of 5 posts