Wololokingdoms black screen

Achtentachtig

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:05 pm
Hi,
I have bought aoe HD with expansions during the black friday sales and the game runs fine on steam, both singleplayer and multiplayer there. But when I tried wk on voobly, I get a black screen after selecting civs and starting the game. Both on voobly and offline installation it does this when I start games against barbarian or other AIs. I have tried lots of things. I have asked people in T90official's discord, but nobody knows this specific problem and all they suggested are generic things like reinstalling everything.
I have tried reinstalling everything. I have tried reinstalling the wk mod in 3 different ways.
I have tried different settings on voobly, nothing works.
I am using the latest drivers of NVIDIA and lots of other games run fine. Besides HD on steam, the 1.4 and 1.5 userpatch also work on voobly.
I hope anybody can figure out why this mod isn't working. I beleive the mod has got some sort of bug.
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Posted 28 December 2018 - 2:47 am
hi
black screen is usually a sign of of a graphics problem. try lowering the resolution and then see. also check the card gui and set it to 100% not anything bigger.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Achtentachtig

Posted 28 December 2018 - 8:51 pm
kitt wrote:
hi
black screen is usually a sign of of a graphics problem. try lowering the resolution and then see. also check the card gui and set it to 100% not anything bigger.
I have tried lowering the resolution and it didn't work. Someone else has said too that it may be a graphics problem, but you do have to realize that I have played games which are far more demanding than aoe2 and they work fine. Also HD runs fine on steam.
I am not 100% sure what you mean by changing the card gui and if I can change that or should. Do you mean gpu? I tried Power management mode - maximum peformance in the settings of nvidia based on what I could find by googling, but that didnt work either.
Link | Reply | Quote
 hassan

Edited 29 December 2018 - 1:16 am by kitt
Hi.

How did you install Age2HD for Voobly ? Were you using the compatibility patch or any tool ?
Quote:
changing the card gu
i meant the scalling in settings.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Achtentachtig

Posted 29 December 2018 - 4:54 pm
hassan wrote:
Hi.

How did you install Age2HD for Voobly ? Were you using the compatibility patch or any tool ?

i meant the scalling in settings.

I used AoE2Tools for converting Age2HD to the voobly version and both 1.4 and 1.5 userpatch work fine.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [kLu]Troy

Edited 29 December 2018 - 6:25 pm by [kLu]Troy
Hello, Achtentachtig!

I suggest you restart from the beginning and do it this way,
https://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1054+Clean+installation+of+Aoe2HD+with+compatibility+patch
EDIT: If the link is broken then just go here: [You must login to view link] Download this and then move all the folders/files from the downloaded folder (memberplus) and move them over to the Age2HD Folder.

Pathing:
OS (C:) - Program Files (x86) - Steam - steamapps - common - Age2HD

After you moved the folders/files from the download over to the Age2HD Folder then open lobby and you shouldn't see any game diagnostics pop up. + Everything should work fine.
Cheers, TroySupport. :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 Achtentachtig

Posted 29 December 2018 - 9:06 pm
[kLu]Troy wrote:
Hello, Achtentachtig!

I suggest you restart from the beginning and do it this way,
https://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1054+Clean+installation+of+Aoe2HD+with+compatibility+patch
EDIT: If the link is broken then just go here: [You must login to view link] Download this and then move all the folders/files from the downloaded folder (memberplus) and move them over to the Age2HD Folder.

Pathing:
OS (C:) - Program Files (x86) - Steam - steamapps - common - Age2HD

After you moved the folders/files from the download over to the Age2HD Folder then open lobby and you shouldn't see any game diagnostics pop up. + Everything should work fine.
Cheers, TroySupport. :)

This made it worse. Now aoe2 isn't working at all on voobly. Also if I uninstall it and let the game diagnostics thing on voobly install the compatibility patch, it doesnt work. I get exactly the same problem: a black screen after selecting civs.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Neo

Posted 29 December 2018 - 9:37 pm
You should try uninstalling everything delete remaining folder then install again and use compatibility patch. Sometimes compatibility patch would just give you a folder names "new folder" in the aoe folder and you would need to take everything from inside that folder and put it in the main folder.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Achtentachtig

Posted 29 December 2018 - 10:08 pm
Neo wrote:
You should try uninstalling everything delete remaining folder then install again and use compatibility patch. Sometimes compatibility patch would just give you a folder names "new folder" in the aoe folder and you would need to take everything from inside that folder and put it in the main folder.
I have tried that, I used a fresh install from steam. I want to add the userpatch 1.4 and 1.5 worked fine again after installation with Aoe2Tools.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +sunny@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 30 December 2018 - 7:17 am
Hi there,

First off we do not recommend neither support the use of third party tools like AOE2TOOLS. I would suggest you uninstall everything and start off fresh again with the clean install guide.

http://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1054+Clean+installation+of+Aoe2HD+with+compatibility+patch

Note: Do not skip steps. Follow the guide as-is.

Before you install WK, make sure the game is running fine on Steam as well as on Voobly. Play a couple of games to make sure everything is fine. Once you are certain, begin the wk installation (again DO NOT USE Aoe2Tools or any third party app whatsoever). Follow the installation guidelines mentioned in WK installation page.

P.S: This is not a graphic card issue or a hardware problem per se which is to say we will keep moving in circles until you get it done right. If you follow the steps religiously, avoid shortcuts (including the use of external third party apps), you should be fine.

Good luck.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Achtentachtig

Edited 30 December 2018 - 4:37 pm by Achtentachtig
+sunny@voobly wrote:
Hi there,

First off we do not recommend neither support the use of third party tools like AOE2TOOLS. I would suggest you uninstall everything and start off fresh again with the clean install guide.

http://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1054+Clean+installation+of+Aoe2HD+with+compatibility+patch

Note: Do not skip steps. Follow the guide as-is.

Before you install WK, make sure the game is running fine on Steam as well as on Voobly. Play a couple of games to make sure everything is fine. Once you are certain, begin the wk installation (again DO NOT USE Aoe2Tools or any third party app whatsoever). Follow the installation guidelines mentioned in WK installation page.

P.S: This is not a graphic card issue or a hardware problem per se which is to say we will keep moving in circles until you get it done right. If you follow the steps religiously, avoid shortcuts (including the use of external third party apps), you should be fine.

Good luck.

Hi, I have already done exactly everything in this guide. As I said I used a fresh installation of aoe2 HD and I deleted the whole folder in steam after uninstalling it. Even more I tried both the manual installation and installation with help of game diagnostics which most likely does the same thing.

I am sure it is not a graphic card issue or hardware issue, but it can be a graphic issue nonetheless. Maybe it uses the wrong settings or something.

Aoe2Tools is recommended by a lot of people. Popular streamers like T90official and Theviper recommend it, if I am not mistaken.

Fact is that it does not work after installation as you recommend and it does work with Aoe2tools (except wololokingdoms). That may give us a clue, but I don't know the differences between both ways.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 30 December 2018 - 4:43 pm
Could you please post the result of the game diagnostics? Thanks.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Achtentachtig

Posted 30 December 2018 - 5:31 pm
This is the one after aoe2tools installation.
Attachments:
gameDiagAoe2.PNG (file size: 36.32 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 Neo

Posted 30 December 2018 - 5:38 pm
Your game path is definitely wrong, you need to start over with clean installation guide.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 30 December 2018 - 6:09 pm by +chris@voobly
No wonder this is not working. You are running the game from inside your User directory + you have followed an article that applies to Age of Empires II HD only, but Voobly has detected AOK and AOC + you are running a third party tool which appears to break Voobly.

You CANNOT play WK if you do not own the game AoE 2 HD on steam. You CANNOT have both, AOK/AOC and Age2HD installed on the same computer. You CANNOT run the game from inside your personal folder (C:\Users\).

When following those articles below, make sure you do NOT change the installation path. Both, the Voobly client and the games must be installed to C:\Program Files\ (C:\Program Files (x86) on 64-Bit). First uninstall Voobly and Age of Empires II, then delete the folders of Voobly Client and the game and then follow all steps in the article below. For Age2HD, please skip this.

https://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1053+Clean+installation+of+Voobly+client
https://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1019+Clean+installation+of+Age+of+Empires+II+with+the+latest+patches

If you own Age2HD, make sure to uninstall AOK + AOC first. Then the same steps as explained above: First uninstall Voobly and Age of Empires II/Age2HD, then delete the folders of Voobly Client and the game and then follow all steps in the article below. Make sure you do NOT change the installation path. Both, the Voobly client and the games must be installed to C:\Program Files\ (C:\Program Files (x86) on 64-Bit).

https://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1053+Clean+installation+of+Voobly+client

Then make sure you configure the Voobly game rooms settings as shown here:

VGR8.png

And surprise, surprise. You will see, that your problem is solved, IF you follow ALL the steps above.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]2
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 30 posts