Proposal to balance CBA

CBADMIN

Posted 21 April 2020 - 3:38 pm
Hello everyone, let me introduce myself as an anonymous active and known CBA player in its community for years already :)

I've been thinking about something that could be pretty good for those that enjoy random civ games but aren't motivated to play even more due to lucky civ factor has a big impact in-game, but it's not really about that, what I think is really annoying for most random CBA players is they don't get the chance for turn around a game with bad-weak civs against their enemy, no matters if they are much more skilled it's just impossible.

So I got this idea in my mind:

Why not make CBA Balanced version changing units stats just like RCB Fair mod does? IF it's good enough it could even replace normal CBA to this new version.

It's obvious balancing a map can be an issue depending whats ur goal since you can -generally- look for make it a rush map(Khans Blood)/kills & rushing maps(Most of bloods) or micro map(AB)

With that beind said, I think the best way for Balance CBA is not changing the actual gameplay but divide it in 3 in-game phases, which would be our base for balance the civs :).

The 3 in-game phases

Early game: I consider this phase goes from the start until the rush/walling enemys/taking razes/go kills strat is already decided.

Mid game: This is the post-early strat, where most of games are >50% favorable for one team and also where most of games ends or go to Late game.

Late game: This is that moment defined by vills/macro/building war, where everyone is imperial and those that does/have a better unit combo will get the victory.

So with our 3-phases system I think there are obvious examples of civs that are too strong for each point of the game:

Early and Late game for Persians is incredibly strong, due to his UU and a very flexible tree tech.

Early and Mid game for Vikings is way too good, this civ is one of those that can turn around a game if the vikings player is good enough to make it happen.

Late game for Turks due to the insane power and range of Janissary and turk's tree tech I personally think -not subjetively :)- it's one of the best civilizations in Late game.

Early, Mid and Late game for Saracens/Mongols due to the incredibly power those UU have generally speaking and also the tree tech is flexible(for mongols) and too strong(for saracens)

This is just a little example of how I think balancing can be done, by knowing which phase is the strongest/weakest for every civ (considering UU and trainable units only)

With all of that said, I think this is a fair and clear list of Strongest-Regular-Weakest phase of every civ for Actual CBA:

Aztecs: Weak early game - Strong mid game - Regular late game

Britons: Weak early game - Strong mid game - Regular late game

Byzantines: Regular early game - Weak mid game - Strong late game

Celts: Weak early game - Strong mid game - Regular late game

Chinese: Regular early game - Weak mid game - Strong late game

Franks: Weak early game - Regular mid game - Strong late game

Goths: Weak early game - Regular mid game - Strong late game

Huns: Regular early game - Weak mid game - Strong late game

Japanese: Strong early game - Regular mid game - Weak late game

Koreans: Regular early game - Strong mid game - Weak late game

Mayans: Weak early game - Strong mid game - Regular late game

Mongols: Weak early game - Regular mid game - Strong late game

Persians: Regular early game - Weak mid game - Strong late game

Saracens: Regular early game - Weak mid game - Strong late game

Spanish: Regular early game - Weak mid game - Strong late game

Teutons: Regular early game - Weak mid game - Strong late game

Turks: Regular early game - Weak mid game - Strong late game

Vikings: Strong early game - Regular mid game - Weak late game

Remember it's a list based on UU and trainable units!

So with my idea posted, my next move is ask to YOU: Do you agree with this list? What changes would you make int it and why? I'll really appreciate suggestions from the whole community and trust me every constructive critic will be taken in count :)

The more feedback this post get the faster we'll be in 2nd phase for CBA Balanced, which will be discussion about units stats changes, and the 3rd phase will be modding and making all of our ideas for a CBA Balanced map real!

There's only one thing, and it's a private question for modders that knows how does the RCB Fair Mod works, If you know how it does please let me know by posting here because I'd like to ask you one simple question about it :)

Have a nice day, thanks for reading and can't wait for read your suggestions!
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Eot_]Eddy1

Posted 21 April 2020 - 4:41 pm
CBADMIN wrote:
I've been thinking about something that could be pretty good for those that enjoy random civ games but aren't motivated to play even more due to lucky civ factor has a big impact in-game

Why not just play lustful?
In lustful there is no lucky factor.
Link | Reply | Quote
 CBADMIN

Posted 21 April 2020 - 5:39 pm
Why not just play lustful?
In lustful there is no lucky factor.

I guess most of us just like CBA and Hero, so I just focused on helping to balance the map that (in addition to being my favorite) is the most played nowadays ;sweating
Link | Reply | Quote
 calexus5678

Edited 11 May 2020 - 11:40 pm by calexus5678
Whatever way you change it, will always be unbalanced. Even if you change various unit stats per civ, surely you will just end up with the same problem... there will still be many unbalanced games.. generally the UU stats and the kill amounts are the most important, whichever way you change those you will still have the issue.. you make changes to one civ.. it has a knock on effect on others.. its like a merry go round trying to balance that which is inherently unbalanceable just by the nature of it.

Edit: I'm not sure I fully understood your proposal... but changes to the units you can build would seem to be of marginal importance compared to the other things I mentioned. Btw I'm not saying it can't be more balanced than it is so I wish you success

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 4 out of 4 posts