cant find game installation directory

fotakos

Posted 17 April 2022 - 5:12 pm
Hello all and sorry for the long post
I have been playing the game since the early days in zone.
Playing in igz since day one and playing in voobly since day one.
I have a new comp for many months now and i cant play the game in voobly.
Whenever i try to install the 1.5rc patch joining a lobby or a room i get the following message
"Could not find game installation directory -- please join a lobby and run game diagnostics"
Game diagnostics come up with "Everything looks fine. DirectPlay is configured and the game was found on your harddrive. If you still have problems try rejoining the lobby or restarting your computer."
I have rejoined a million times
I have restarted a million times
I have followed the instructions for clean installation many many times (even today)
I even bought an external disk drive today to install the game from the original cd because I was using a flash drive where i keep the game. No luck again.
I am sure I am missing something here but i cant find out what
I am not using steam or anything like that. Its a clean comp and the game is installed where it should be on the hard drive ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Age2_X1\age2_x1.Exe")
I have tried even running the game in windows xp compatibility but still getting the same error
Running Windows 10 Home 64bit
Firewall disabled when installing the game and voobly and trying to update the patch.
Help please
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 17 April 2022 - 5:15 pm
Could you please run the game diagnostics in a game lobby and paste the results here?
Link | Reply | Quote
 fotakos

Posted 17 April 2022 - 9:48 pm
Non-DirectPlay game path is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II'
Verifying 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\language_x1.dll' exists...
Success!
Verifying 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\age2_x1\age2_x1.exe' exists...
Success!
Voobly path is 'c:\program files (x86)\voobly'
Game version is '1.0C-VLY'
Verifying 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\language_x1_p1.dll' exists...
Success!
Checking DirectPlay libraries...
Looking for dpwsockx.dll...
Looking for dplayx.dll...
'c:\windows\system32\dplayx.dll' size: 215552 bytes
DirectPlay Init Success!
Scanning installed DirectPlay games...
Age of Empires II
Age of Empires II - The Conquerors Expansion [found]
Game was found in DirectPlay registry!
DirectPlay play thinks the game is installed at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II'
DirectPlay command line is 'lobby'
DirectPlay play thinks the game exe is at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Age2_X1\age2_x1.exe'
Verifying file exists... Success!
DirectPlay play thinks the language dll is at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\language_x1.dll'
Verifying file exists... Success!
Scanning 'c:\program files (x86)\voobly\gamedata\AOC\age2_x1.exe'
Success!

Everything looks fine. DirectPlay is configured and the game was found on your harddrive. If you still have problems try rejoining the lobby or restarting your computer.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 17 April 2022 - 10:34 pm
Code:
You must run the AOK / AOC setup, so those registry keys are created. You appear to be using a downloaded version of AOK / AOC.

[You must login to view link]
Link | Reply | Quote
 fotakos

Posted 17 April 2022 - 11:10 pm
No not at all
I have the game in a flash drive and used it many times for installation in different comps with no problem but two days now i use only the original cds (I got a usb disk drive to try this specific installation)
I have to mention that i just noticed a difference between the 1.5rc downloading page screenshot and the way I see the drop down menu inside a game.
I dont have the v1.5 beta 6 build 5525 option.
Could this be a problem and if so how can i fix it?
Check the attached picture for details
Attachments:
Picture1.jpg (file size: 45.95 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 22 April 2022 - 11:44 pm by +chris@voobly
Code:
You must run the AOK / AOC setup, so those registry keys are created. This is not related to the User Patch.

[You must login to view link]

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 6 out of 6 posts