Default graphics for 1.6

Poll: Do you prefer the old graphics or the new graphics as a default?
New graphics
Old graphics
 +pablo@voobly

Community Patch Developer

Posted 23 October 2022 - 12:45 pm
You are saying that people don't play the mod because their hotkeys don't work (which would be fixed forever by configuring them correctly once) or because the mod takes too long to download (which can't be helped given all the content it has).

If there is something that is not dependent on users, I'll be happy to hear about it.

Nevertheless, this is a poll for the graphics.
Link | Reply | Quote
 zunks

Edited 23 October 2022 - 5:28 pm by zunks
I like both graphics, but I personaly have a preference for the ones of AoC for base game + the factor of nostalgia. What I think that can be done and will be very useful is changing the begining of the mod's description

"Important Notes
Community Patch 1.6 will replace the original..."

to

"Original graphics
This mod ports most of the graphics from Definitive Edition. If you prefer the look of the original AoC, download this other version of the mod. "
--> this part is too far below, many don't even read, and as consequence, they don't even know it exists. That's probably why we have much more donwloads of the version with new graphics instead of the one with old graphics.

But please, voobly community, take note that if u downloaded the version with new graphics, u can play with the old graphics by using this mod:

https://www.voobly.com/gamemods/mod/1545/Old-Units-Slp

and if you downloaded the version with the old graphics, u can play using the new ones by using this mod:

https://www.voobly.com/gamemods/mod/1514/De-units-slp

Maybe these 2 mods should be mentionated in the begining of the v1.6 game data description, so more people will know they exist.

For people that need to update their v1.6 game data, please, do it by downloading via website, it's much faster.

Share with your friends the videos I recorded explaining how to download, how to setup the lobby, and how to change your hotkeys (the ones of the overlay too regarding the select all hotkeys):

[You must login to view link] (Spanish)

[You must login to view link] (Portuguese)

After you have saved your hotkeys, make a copy of player1.hki that will be inside v1.6 game data and place this copy in the root folder of aoe 2 to replace the player1.hki file that exists there, this way u will always have your hotkeys despite of the updates of the mod, and make a copy of the file OverlayConfig that's inside the folder of v1.6 RC patch to always have your select all hotkeys.

Link | Reply | Quote
 zunks

Posted 23 October 2022 - 5:31 pm
You guys could try out this test:

for 1 month, put the version with the old graphics as default, and let's watch carefuly if more people will play it, and what they will say.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +kwin

Posted 23 October 2022 - 8:17 pm
I am playing more then 20 years AOC...
NEVER played it for the graphics...
In fact:
Never change the graphics, its only confusing and i totally don't care how a market looks, i do care that i recognize the market...
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 24 October 2022 - 12:27 pm
You guys can select which graphics to play. The patch was designed, so people can decide themselves, how many of the DE graphics changes they want to allow in the game.
Link | Reply | Quote
 fpracing1

Posted 24 October 2022 - 11:06 pm
Una desventaja que encuentro al usar los gráficos originales es que las unidades de las civis nuevas mantienen el estilo artístico del Definitive Edition. Por ejemplo: mientras el scout y los aldeanos se ven como en el AoC, unidades como el elefante de asedio se ven como en el DE.
Esto resulta me resulta lógico ya que los gráficos son convertidos desde el DE. Para que se vean las unidades nuevas como en el AoC, probablemente habría que crear sus gráficos desde cero. Sin embargo el resultado es extraño, no se obtiene unos gráficos 100% antiguos, sino un híbrido.
Por suerte todos podemos elegir con que gráficos jugar y seguiré usando los de este mod https://www.voobly.com/gamemods/mod/1652/Definitive-Edition-Units :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 zunks

Edited 24 October 2022 - 11:52 pm by zunks
Quote:
Una desventaja que encuentro al usar los gráficos originales es que las unidades de las civis nuevas mantienen el estilo artístico del Definitive Edition. Por ejemplo: mientras el scout y los aldeanos se ven como en el AoC, unidades como el elefante de asedio se ven como en el DE.

Las nuevas unidades no existen en el AoC, así que el único gráfico que existe para ellas son los gráficos del DE. Sea en la versión con los gráficos antiguos, o con los nuevos, las unidades y estructuras que pasaron a exister después del AORR siempre tendrán el mismo tipo de gráfico.
Link | Reply | Quote
 fpracing1

Posted 25 October 2022 - 2:21 am
zunks wrote:
Las nuevas unidades no existen en el AoC, así que el único gráfico que existe para ellas son los gráficos del DE. Sea en la versión con los gráficos antiguos, o con los nuevos, las unidades y estructuras que pasaron a exister después del AORR siempre tendrán el mismo tipo de gráfico.

Eso mismo decía yo. La única forma de que las unidades del DE que no existían en el AoC o el HD (2013) tengan un estilo artístico similar al del AoC sería creando con mucho talento y mucho trabajo esos gráficos desde cero. Es un trabajo que creo que nadie hará. Por eso planteaba que los "old graphics" en el mejor de los casos siempre será este resultado híbrido con gráficos del clásico AoC pero inevitablemente tendrá unidades que se verán muy diferentes, ya que son del estilo de arte del Definitive Edition.
Link | Reply | Quote
 zunks

Posted 1 November 2022 - 11:37 pm
I changed a bit my opinion regarding the new ported graphics. The look somewhat bad in games with a lower resolution (the camera is closer to the units), but they feel a little bit better when playing with a higher resolution (camera is further away). The old graphics look absolutely great in all resolutions!
Link | Reply | Quote
 [sT]Mike_

Posted 15 November 2022 - 2:19 am
very cool

;eat
Link | Reply | Quote
 aZoTaDoR

Posted 17 November 2022 - 4:28 am
horrible mod, make me failures trying to play 1024x720 screen mode
Link | Reply | Quote
 +pablo@voobly

Edited 17 November 2022 - 9:19 am by +pablo@voobly
aZoTaDoR wrote:
horrible mod, make me failures trying to play 1024x720 screen mode
This is not a "horrible mod" as there are several people for whom it works perfectly. If you have a problem, write a comment in the mod's page explaining it and we will try to help you.
Link | Reply | Quote
 ArnauEstanyol

Posted 10 June 2023 - 9:30 am
se pueden usar las teclas clasicas? gracias
Link | Reply | Quote
 Jusis

Posted 20 June 2023 - 4:46 pm
Hi. I just joined two days ago. Played 4k hours on steam but never here.
I noticed the new new new patch and I wonder why in the video I see a grid mod terrain and small trees and my 1.6 RC data set doesn't.

I've downloaded several mods from the site but some work some don't so I suppose they're for the 1.5 RC... or do I have to manually move some files around in order to work?

Wanted to post this question in the right forum but this account being new I can't.

Thanks for the help.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +mikael@voobly

Posted 21 June 2023 - 10:20 pm
https://voobly.com/gamemods/mod/1474/DE-Terrains-with-grid
if it not work you have to much mod on voobly test if you can disable it.
ps:
some de mods.
https://wk-de.voobly.com/pages/view/1962/Definitive-Edition

Link | Reply | Quote
1[2]3
Displaying 16 - 30 out of 32 posts