Community Forums > Voobly General > Announcements > AOT rating system update - May 2023

AOT rating system update - May 2023

+miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:28 pm
In reply to I_Deimos_I. Take for team games into consideration that the rating calculation takes your whole team into count. If your allies are 1850 and you're 1600, then your team will still be high seeded, so you will not be receiving a lot of points. Still, with that win you will be the one in your team receiving the most points. Based on a game you played with Knorrs, I saw you received 33% more points than he did for that win.

The amount of points won/lost are smaller in general making the ratings more stable and representative of ones skill over time. I'm sorry if your rating had a big drop prior to the change, causing you to start from a lower point than you would have normally had, but you're not the only one to whom that happened.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 29 May 2023 - 1:42 pm by +chris@voobly
I_DeimoS_I wrote:
this new system point is so bad !!! i win 18+ players in TG for 8 pts and need a 20 wins in a raw to go from 1600 to 1750 in TG in my only 1 old acc.u guys encourage players to open smurf acc'[You must login to view link] logic guys please fix it!
the solution is that 1650 wins an 1800 ,the 1650 should gain lot of pts and the 1800 will loss less pts .this way no one fear to play anyone and the lower rates players get rewarded as they should be for their efforts to win an 18+ and the 18+ dont have a lot to risk when they do it! both in 1x1 and TG.and in case the 18+ players win as they should be they gain small amount of pts and the 1650 players lose small amount of pts either.

You do not get a reward e. g. points, if you have won a game. The purpose of Elo is to reflect your game skill, not the number of won games to quickly reach a certain rating level. What you describe above is working as designed. Please understand, that it will take a while, until you reach your real ELO. It is not intended, that you quickly reach 1800/2000 (or 1400/1200) by playing just 20 games. The higher/lower your ELO, the less the chance, to encounter a smurf. This will be important, one you reach a real ELO rating of 1800.

If you win many points, as well as lose many points with every game you play, your rating will never reflect your game skill. It will just tell, whether you have won or lost most of your recent games. Even worse, this allows you playing with players, that are not on the same skill level like you, as well as with players that are much better than you or players, that are below your game skill.

[You must login to view link]
Link | Reply | Quote
 I_DeimoS_I

Edited 29 May 2023 - 2:11 pm by I_DeimoS_I
"The difference between the ratings of the winner and loser determines the total number of points gained or lost after a game. If the higher-rated player wins, then only a few rating points will be taken from the lower-rated player. However, if the lower-rated player scores an upset win, many rating points will be transferred"

i copy paste it from your link .

i mostly play tgs and mostly rewarded an 8 pts avarage since new system started even if my oponnents is 18+
so it dosent look suitable to the quote..
i am 1750+ player in 1x1 and TG. atm this new system catched me when i was 1650 in TG. now its almost imposiblle to go back to 1750 in TGs

i will need literaly 20 wins in a raw or win 25 and lose 5 to get back to my rr which almost impossible in TG's since u dont always get the best players in team in the room.

Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 29 May 2023 - 2:09 pm
Repeating the same flawed argument over and over again will not make it more effective.
Link | Reply | Quote
 I_DeimoS_I

Posted 29 May 2023 - 2:18 pm
i just replied to your post that claimed the new system is based on elo , i read your link and brought facts that elo is as i suggested in my first post and not as it works today...low rated players in tg's dosent rewarded lots of pts by winning an high rated players in tg's acording to the new system...
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 29 May 2023 - 2:32 pm
https://www.voobly.com/match/view/25803514
https://www.voobly.com/match/view/25803394

I honestly don't see your problem. You are playing with two allied players who are almost 1900. What makes you think, you should win MANY points according to the ELO article on Wikipedia?
Link | Reply | Quote
 I_DeimoS_I

Edited 29 May 2023 - 2:44 pm by I_DeimoS_I
https://www.voobly.com/match/view/25796605
check this game
the avarage for my team was 1655 and the oponnet team was 1751 before the game started.
still we got only 10 pts for winning an 100 pts higher rated team
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 29 May 2023 - 2:54 pm
The ELO algorithm has given you 10 points instead of 8 points, and according to their rating, they lost 11, 10 and 9 points instead of 8 points each. As I tried explaining to you above, the purpose is to reflect your game skill, not to quickly win or lose many points. To avoid the so called "boosting" effect, the points are reduced, the more players are participating in the game. This was introduced, so it's much harder for clan members to reach a high ELO when they win together with their clan members.

1v1 - 16 points
2v2 - 12 points
3v4 - 8 points --> in your case: +2 because of the ELO difference
4v4 - 8 points
Link | Reply | Quote
 I_DeimoS_I

Edited 29 May 2023 - 3:25 pm by I_DeimoS_I
k now i get the new system , still disagree tho cause 2 pts more for a 100 pts diffrence dosent make sense to me.thanks for your patience and explainations :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 [TIGRES]NORTHMAFIA

Posted 30 May 2023 - 5:37 am
Espero que el cambio sea positivo.
Link | Reply | Quote
 LorgaleTooser

Posted 30 May 2023 - 11:21 pm
I dont know about 1x, lets talk about Teamgames now, I play 1500 bot in tg i get vs them 7 points, i won 2k player in tg, i got 9 points. so the point is tg ratio lose any meaning, in 1-2 months team game ladder will be elo infliated - just time question when this will happen. I admit your this system could work , but not for small group of players like aot ladder, this system work if game has atleast 500-1000 active players, we have 50 +-. I pref quality than quantity and im pretty sure most aot players agree with me.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Posted 31 May 2023 - 3:56 pm
Not necessarily. We have monitored the match results closely since the rating system update. Though it is true some people gained rating in TG Supremacy since then, there are also players that have lost a significant amount of rating.

Noteworthy is that those that gained are in general skilled players that used to be underrated in the old system and those that lost were overrated in the old system. Players that used to be 1550-1570, but definitely didn't belong there are now finally reaching the 1400s.

Overall players will have a rating that represents their skill level better down the line, which makes it easier to find skill appropriate opponents in the lobby.
Link | Reply | Quote
 CSA_R_A_Toombs

Posted 3 June 2023 - 4:02 am
I assume this also changed the age of chivalry for AOE II rating system as well?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Edited 3 June 2023 - 8:40 pm by +miko@voobly
The changes described in this topic are for AOT only. AOE II already had these settings applied to it in the past.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 3 June 2023 - 12:14 pm
I assume this also changed the age of chivalry for AOE II rating system as well?
We have enabled the decay again - globally. I have added an exception for the said mod again. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Link | Reply | Quote
12[3]4
Displaying 31 - 45 out of 53 posts