Community Forums > Voobly Support and Game Complaints Support > Client and Website related Problems and Questions > Purchased AOE II Definitive Edition on Steam, but Voobly can't find it

Purchased AOE II Definitive Edition on Steam, but Voobly can't find it

NormandyBlue

Edited 26 October 2023 - 5:55 am by NormandyBlue
When I log into Voobly and open up NPL Lobby, Voobly gives me this message:

Non-DirectPlay game path is 'steam:\\rungameid'
Verifying 'steam:\\rungameid\language_x1.dll' exists...
Failure!

The file was not found at the location the registry said it should be. The registry keys need to either be fixed or the game needs to be moved to the proper location.

And so it asks me:

"Do you want Voobly to fix this problem for you?"

And I choose the option Yes. Voobly then replies with this:

"Voobly could not locate the game on your harddrive. In the following dialog box you will be asked to locate the game executable (the .exe file in the game directory).

I then click on the AOE II DE File on my personal files and still, I cannot play the game on Voobly.

I downloaded Mirror CA and Mirror DE. I think I downloaded the Voobly patches correctly as well.

Can somebody please help me? Why can Voobly not find the game from my Steam purchase?
Link | Reply | Quote
 NormandyBlue

Posted 26 October 2023 - 6:09 am
I also want to say, that I looked into the help thread on this topic already at this link:

[You must login to view link]

And then I scroll down to the "Voobly Client Section" and then I click on "KB1009 GAME NOT FOUND WHEN ENTERING A LOBBY"

Which brings me to here:

And then I read this:

You are using a downloaded version of the game without a working installer which is causing that behavior. Please follow the article below.
Clean Installation of Age of Empires II
Clean Installation of Age of Empires II (2013)

But there is no link to either one of these articles so that I can get help. When I hover my mouse over "clean installation of AOEII" and "clean installation of AOE II (2013)", there is no link for me to click on.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +kwin

Posted 26 October 2023 - 6:56 am
Please perform a clean installation of your game. Don't forget to follow ALL steps in the article, including the last official patches you must install and the game must be started from your Desktop at least once.

HD: [You must login to view link]

Make sure to start the game at least once from your Desktop, before attempting to play online.

And here are the required game room settings again:
Link | Reply | Quote
 +pablo@voobly

Community Patch Developer

Posted 26 October 2023 - 8:48 am
Voobly doesn't use DE to play, you need Age 2 HD (2013) from Steam.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 26 October 2023 - 12:14 pm
And then I scroll down to the "Voobly Client Section" and then I click on "KB1009 GAME NOT FOUND WHEN ENTERING A LOBBY"

Which brings me to here:

And then I read this:

You are using a downloaded version of the game without a working installer which is causing that behavior. Please follow the article below.
Clean Installation of Age of Empires II
Clean Installation of Age of Empires II (2013)

But there is no link to either one of these articles so that I can get help. When I hover my mouse over "clean installation of AOEII" and "clean installation of AOE II (2013)", there is no link for me to click on.
I fixed the dead links in this knowledge base article. Thanks for your feedback.
Link | Reply | Quote
 NormandyBlue

Posted 26 October 2023 - 9:24 pm
Okay, I went to here to do a "clean install"

I run into trouble on this step, quoted below:

Now join one of the AOC lobbies on Voobly and the Game Diagnostic should pop up. If that’s not the case, click Game Diagnostic in menu Options and click Yes.

On that picture screenshotted just below what I have quoted above in italics (Now join one of the AOC lobbies on Voobly........) on that screenshotted picture it gives a link saying:

"You must install the the most recent 1.0 compatibility pack for age2hd. Click yes to have voobly install the patch for you."

The problem is, that it doesn't say this on my end when I open up Voobly. It does NOT say "you must install blah blah blah", much less provide a link to download the 1.0c compatiblity patch. All I see when I log on to Voobly is this message:

Failure!

The file was not found at the location the registry said it should be. The registry keys need to either be fixed or the game needs to be moved to the proper location.
Link | Reply | Quote
 NormandyBlue

Posted 26 October 2023 - 9:29 pm
So once I noticed that I cannot complete the step to install the 1.0 compatiblity patch for age2hd because that link nor message never shows up for me in the first place when I open up Voobly, I went to Voobly's main screen and I tried to download three things that are downloadable through 3 seperate links on Voobly's main page on voobly.com:

1. Community Patch v1.6
2. Patch V 1.6 RC
3. Data Mod v1.5 Game Data

For ALL of these downloads, it will load to 99%, then it says:

Lost connection to the server. Reconnecting in 30 seconds.

And then below that it'll say:

"Could not find game installation directory -- please join a lobby and run game diagnostics."

The download never reconnects when the 30 second countdown ends, so I have to hit the "Reconnect Now" button. When I do that, it'll then go to this screen:

"Downloading update (100%)..."

Except the loading circle thing just keeps spinning, indicating that the download is NOT 100% finished. I also can't click "done", the only option to click on below the spinning circle icon is to click cancel.

So I can't even download these updates.
Link | Reply | Quote
 NormandyBlue

Posted 26 October 2023 - 9:31 pm
If anyone can help me it would be appreciated. I have to say, this is absolutely ridiculous with how much I'm having to do to try to play this game on Voobly. This is NOT a very nice system for non tech savvy people like myself. I don't understand all of this, most systems are set up nowadays to accommodate non tech savy people like myself where you just easily click download and stuff will work.

Sorry for my frusteration. Any help is appreciated, I just want to the play the game on Voobly...........
Link | Reply | Quote
 NormandyBlue

Posted 26 October 2023 - 9:34 pm
+pablo@voobly wrote:
Voobly doesn't use DE to play, you need Age 2 HD (2013) from Steam.

Hey, thanks for the reply, I purchased AGE 2 HD (2013) from Steam. So now i have DE and Age 2 HD (2013), both purchased from Steam.

And I STILL ran into problems, which I highlighted above in my last several posts just now above this post.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 26 October 2023 - 9:52 pm
Please follow ALL steps in this self help article:

Make sure you do not have AOK/AOC installed. Could not find game directory means, you skipped one step in the article above.
Link | Reply | Quote
 NormandyBlue

Posted 26 October 2023 - 10:19 pm
+chris@voobly wrote:
Please follow ALL steps in this self help article:

Make sure you do not have AOK/AOC installed. Could not find game directory means, you skipped one step in the article above.

Okay, I'm trying to think of what I could have done wrong. There were a few things where I followed the steps, but not in the exact same way that the pictures on the link you provided showed. Those things were:

1. Go to View > Settings > Interface and set Steam language to English.

My Steam setting was already on English. I clicked the bar to change the language, but I didn't change the language I just clicked on English again even though English was already the highlighted choice. It didn't give me the "Ok" button to click at the bottom of the screen, I'm assuming because English was already the highlighted choice.

2. Install Aoe2HD through Steam client.
3. Right-click on Age of Empires II: HD-Edition and click Play Game.
4. Wait for the dependencies and updates to be installed.

For numbers 2-4, I could not find the screen on Steam that looked exactly like the pictures that are screenshotted for steps 2-4 in the link you provided KB1054. However, for step # 2 when I went to my steam store under games I had purchased, there was a button I could click on AGE II (2013) to "Install" it, so that's what I clicked on. For step #3 again I never saw a screen that looked like that, but I just clicked play on the AOE 2013 game. Then Steam had a screen that came up that installed and verified stuff, but that screen looked different than what's screenshotted in step #4 (wait for the dependencies and updates to be installed).

Do you think any of these steps caused problems? I accomplished the same things as what's in the instruction manual, it's just none of what I did looked exactly like the screenshots provided in the instruction manual KB1054.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 26 October 2023 - 10:22 pm
Please join an AOC lobby and run the game diagnostics tool from the menu. Copy and paste the result here.
Link | Reply | Quote
 NormandyBlue

Posted 27 October 2023 - 1:24 am
+chris@voobly wrote:
Please join an AOC lobby and run the game diagnostics tool from the menu. Copy and paste the result here.

Well as soon as I sign into a lobby, it says this:

Failure!

And then when I go to do an actual game diagnostics tool from the menu, it says this same thing copy and pasted below:

Failure!

Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 27 October 2023 - 11:48 am
Then also do this and run the game diagnostics again:
Link | Reply | Quote
 NormandyBlue

Posted 28 October 2023 - 1:15 am
+chris@voobly wrote:
Then also do this and run the game diagnostics again:

I did this and when I logged into NPL, this message popped up:

Failure!

So Voobly asks if I want to fix the problem, I click yes, and then it takes me to my laptop folder section where I located Age Of Empires 2013 and I double click AOE 2013, then it goes back to Voobly and Voobly says:

The fix to your game installation was applied succesfully. you're recommended to rescan your game for anymore problems, you might need 5-10 fixes depending on the state of your game.

In the message box, it says this:

Changing game directory in registry to 'steam:\\rungameid'
Updating SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion\1.0
EXE Path => steam:\\rungameid
Version => ?
VersionType => RetailVersion
Zone => http://www.voobly.com/games/view/Age-of-Empires-II-The-Conquerors
ReceivingFile => *
Fix was applied successfully!

So it says do you want Voobly to scan your game again. I click yes. Once again, this message pops up:

Failure!

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]2
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 24 posts