DE balance rated??

+chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 30 October 2023 - 8:48 pm by +chris@voobly
Political decisions are never easy, especially if you cannot avoid them.

When Microsoft released HD more than 10 years ago, we had great promotion of HD/WK thanks to our Streamers. But the truth is, there was only a small group of players who actually play HD/WK on Voobly, even though all the big events featured by our Streamers were played on HD/WK. The majority of the community has continued playing the good old AOC and have tried to avoid the new game balance and civs at all costs. No one wants to lose rating points, right?

Four years ago, Microsoft released DE. This time we didn't have any help promoting the new Community Patch featuring DE. Even worse, the original author of the User Patches has disappeared and it took almost a full year, until volunteers within the Voobly community stepped up and started developing DE, and it took more than a full year and more than 1000 hours of development, until a Release Candidate has become available -- stable enough, so it could be played within the community.

This time something else has happened. Someone in the community (_everaoc_) did something great, he released a mod that brings all the DE game balance changes and he added many DE features, as well as all HD civs. One huge advantage, the community now finally plays the HD civs. The huge disadvantage, even though the game balance changes were adapted properly, most features could not be implemented by the mod maintainer, many things are still not working, or completely missing, including the DE civs.

This was no problem for now, as long as the new Community Patch was not stable enough and still required testing to find and fix most of the OOS and crashing issues. At some point our hard work has paid off and the Community Patch was ready to be released to public and we started organizing tournaments, giving incentives and promoting our implementation of DE on Voobly. However, history has repeated itself. Similar to HD more than 10 years ago, many players have continued playing the DE game balance mod instead of moving on to play the official Age of Empires II DE. (Again, why learning new civs, new units and getting familiar with the new game balance. No one wants to lose rating points, right?)

But the situation was different, parts of the community were no longer playing the "official" game. We lost players to HD on Steam, because of an "incomplete" mod. We couldn't get any new players either, because they were instantly leaving, because no one was playing DE on Voobly, besides that "incomplete" mod those new players didn't want to play either. And after nine months desperately trying to promote DE in tournaments and with promotions, the player loss has become a serious problem. And this leads to what I said in my first sentence.

Sometimes doing the right thing isn't doing the right thing.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Sickle

Edited 30 October 2023 - 11:32 pm by Sickle
+pablo@voobly wrote:

How? The graphics are the WK ones unless you use the DE ones.
Probably he still has the depreciated old version with the ugly graphics instead of the new default? Better to delete mod completely and reinstall it by searching it on voobly website, gokburu! There are two versions with same name but different graphics and the ugly one used to be default so if you didn't uninstall it since then you might still have it.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +pablo@voobly

Community Patch Developer

Posted 30 October 2023 - 11:46 pm
Regarding the sync errors. Have you seen the amount of videos in the voobly YouTube channel?
Statistically they can not be significant if all those people don't have them.
[You must login to view link]
That being said, we'll look at the recording.
Link | Reply | Quote
 gok_LN

Posted 31 October 2023 - 12:11 am
+pablo@voobly wrote:
We have never touched the speed. Don't confuse your impression with the actual game. Get a stopwatch and time the game with and without the mod.
Is that your response rather than something more concrete and constructive. Why would I time it? I can tell the difference after playing the game for so many years.

I believe that's the basic Black Forest map from the original game. Nevertheless, if you preffer a different map script, let me know where to find it.
We've been playing AV.Blackforest map that comes with 1.6 data mod. It's not about what map I want, it's about whatever map you are providing needs to be in line with the existing one.

Again, we haven't touched commands or pathing. Specially cav archers, that have a very long frame delay, are not a good example. Show me a comparison with and without the game of stuff that doesn't work as before.

How? The graphics are the WK ones unless you use the DE ones.

Do all players have the game properly configured? There are videos in the mod's page.
I don't know, we don't ask these questions. We just play a game and get on with it.

Please, report them with event viewer screenshots.
I don't think anybody would be doing that because like I said earlier, if people are not enjoying the gameplay then they will either stop playing the mod or move to another platform or find other alternatives.

We are not creators/developers, we are volunteers and rely on the community to help us.
The community is trying to help but we are not getting any productive responses.

1.6 is not stable. It needs alot of improvement and alot of development. As a beta test, I feel it hasn't been successful.

I just wanted to provide my insight after playing some games in 1.6 data mod. I don't want this to turn into an argument, therefore, this will be my last post on this topic.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Sickle

Posted 31 October 2023 - 12:30 am
Man, I'm telling you how to solve graphic problem 2 posts above but you don't listen.

Link | Reply | Quote
1[2]
Displaying 16 - 20 out of 20 posts