Aot EE - "Initialization Failed" error

Spainflex

Posted 18 January 2024 - 5:37 pm
Good morning, for the past couple days I have been trying to get AoT EE from Steam to work with voobly.
I have done a fresh install > compatibility patch > opened voobly > installed the 1.03 patch.

I go to quick host - try launching a game - it launches fine - gets all the way to the attached screenshot then closes every time with the error shown. have reinstalled clean numerous times.

Steam version works just fine, attempting to launch the aomnocd.exe without voobly I get the same error.

have read through other forum posts of same issue tried all suggested but don't seem to get any change.

-have tried changing the resolution from the shortcut exe (xres=800 or xres=1200) many other resolutions..

- have tried the different (run in compatibility modes - windows 98, xp sp2, sp3 etc) in both aomnocd.exe and aom.exe

-have tried downloading the data2.bar in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\data
and replacing it.

I am on a windows 10 desktop

any help much appreciated - thanks.
Attachments:

Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 18 January 2024 - 5:41 pm
Please follow these steps to do a clean installation:

1) Uninstall Age of Mythology Extended Edition on Steam.
2) Delete the Age of Mythology folder. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology).
3) Install Age of Mythology Extended Edition on Steam.
4) Install the Compatibility Patch ([You must login to view link]).
5) Open Voobly and join the AOT Main Lobby.
6) The game diagnostics will now prompt you to locate the Age of Mythology executable. Please point the diagnostics to this file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\aomx.exe
7) Restart Voobly and now you should be able to play Age of Mythology on Voobly.

This should solve the problem.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Spainflex

Posted 18 January 2024 - 5:55 pm
Thanks for quick reply - now I am getting a different error.

see attached please.
Attachments:
graphic error.PNG (file size: 270.31 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Posted 19 January 2024 - 7:23 pm
It looks like you directed Voobly to your Steam folder at setup. This is not where the Voobly-compatible version of AOT is located. Please point Voobly instead to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology".

The easiest way to do this, is to temporarily rename your Steam program folder, so Voobly won't be able to find your current game installation. After renaming, open the Age of Mythology lobby in Voobly and it will prompt you again to locate aomx.exe. Of course after this process is done, you can rename the Steam folder back to its original name again. This should solve your problem.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 4 out of 4 posts