AOM EE compatibility patch install error

+chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 24 February 2024 - 3:07 pm
Please delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games
and run the compatibility patch again.

What folders and files are created when running the patch?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Raozone

Edited 24 February 2024 - 3:24 pm by Raozone
I have done the following in this order:
1. Uninstall AOM from Steam
2. Deleted C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games
3. Reinstall AOM though Steam - see attached for the option it gives me for the install location.

The follow files are there/not there

C:\Program Files (x86) -> there is no Microsoft Games file

E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Age of Mythology -> this is the file & contents created on reinstalling.

4. Attempt to run the patch. It is unsuccessful

Now there is a C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology, which is empty
Attachments:
AOM EE steam install.JPG (file size: 26.4 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 24 February 2024 - 4:39 pm
Can you please check whether there is an AOM folder in your My Documents directory of your home folder?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Posted 24 February 2024 - 4:41 pm
Have you tried running the compatibility patch in Windows 7 compatibility mode? This just might work.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Raozone

Posted 24 February 2024 - 4:55 pm
There is! See attached
Should I delete this and uninstall then reinstall?

There might be a few odd folders of AoM on this PC, since I played the vanilla version off the disc on this same PC when the game first came out.
Attachments:
AOM my documents.JPG (file size: 23.16 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 24 February 2024 - 4:58 pm
Rename it please and run the compatibility patch again.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Raozone

Edited 24 February 2024 - 5:59 pm by Raozone
Amazing!!! The AOMEE compatibility patch has just succeeded.
I also changed the install location from my E drive onto the C drive which might have helped.
I then ran the aomx10to103 file which seemed to have worked.
When I now go to launch the game from Voobly into an empty lobby it gets into the launch screen and then says initialization failed.
Progress at least!

The last thing it says in the blue bar is Loading Game Database
Attachments:
AOM initialization failed.JPG (file size: 201.39 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Posted 26 February 2024 - 11:17 pm
Glad to hear there is progress. When you get the error Initialization Failed while the game is loading the game database, most likely there is a problem in the data folder of your compatibility patch installation. Could you please send me a screenshot of the contents of this folder?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Raozone

Posted 27 February 2024 - 1:43 pm
Thanks Miko

This is what my data file looks like. I was browsing the forums and saw a similar thread where you provided a link for the data2.bar file. (https://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/351448)

I tried replacing the current one with the download you provided however the problem remained the same.
Attachments:
AOM data file.JPG (file size: 11.99 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 Raozone

Posted 27 February 2024 - 1:48 pm
And these are the data files in path C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\Voobly Mods\AOMT\Data Mods

Should there be a folder for the compatibility patch? Or just the 3 folders shown in the Data Mods folder?
Attachments:
AOM Vooby mods file.JPG (file size: 21.16 KB)
Voobly balance patch 4 data.JPG (file size: 32.22 KB)
Voobly blind pick data.JPG (file size: 29.53 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Posted 28 February 2024 - 3:40 pm
You're welcome and thank you for providing the additional information. All seems fine in the screenshots. It is normal that the patches don't have data2.bar. This file is basically an archive that contains many files. What you see in the patch folders, are the individual files from data2.bar that have been modified.

The easiest fix would be to send you a working Age of Mythology installation. I can do this, but for this I will need to verify that you legally own Age of Mythology on Steam. Please send us a screenshot showing that your profile owns the game on Steam. After verifying, I will send you a link were you can download a confirmed working installation with installation instructions.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Raozone

Posted 28 February 2024 - 6:22 pm
Thanks Miko. Attached is a screenshot of my steam library.
Attachments:
AOM steam ownership.JPG (file size: 256.99 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 Raozone

Posted 29 February 2024 - 6:50 pm
In addition -
When I open Voobly and do a Quick Launch and Start Game with just myself in an empty lobby, it gets as far as Loading Database and then gives the Initialisation Failed error.

I just tried joining someone else's lobby and it gets slightly further; the game is able to launch and it goes through the normal loading sequence through all parts of the blue bar at the bottom of the screen.

However when it gets through this the game looks as the attached 2 screenshots.

Not sure if this changes the approach.

Thanks
Attachments:
Voobly game screen1.jpg (file size: 506.54 KB)
Voobly game screen2.jpg (file size: 373.49 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Posted 1 March 2024 - 8:30 pm
Thank you for verifying that you own the game legally. I have send you a PM with download and installation instructions. After you followed these steps, the issue should be fixed. :)

The additional information tells me we chose the correct approach. From your screenshots I can tell that the models and textures are missing or corrupt as well. By sending you a working installation, all issues should be fixed automatically and this will save us both a lot of time compared to fixing all files and folders in your current installation manually.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Posted 3 March 2024 - 8:41 pm
Problem solved! (Raozone confirmed in PM). ;good

Link | Reply | Quote
1[2]
Displaying 16 - 30 out of 30 posts