Mod Request: Risk

Mulon

Edited 4 August 2013 - 12:16 pm by Mulon
This scenario (and its mod) would be based on a very popular map played in warcraft 3 called Risk Devo , really surprised nobody did it already in all this years.
This is a video: you can google risk devo and find many more videos.

Wc3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYy-v7tZUsc

Sc2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7e04GRAgsE
Link | Reply | Quote
 [RBF]ApAdams

Posted 3 August 2013 - 5:38 am
Can you explain how this game works? What is happening in this video? What role do the buildings play?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Mulon

Edited 4 August 2013 - 12:28 pm by Mulon
This is a better video with a bit of commentary. It follows many parts and it is from starcraft 2, bit different in graphics from wc3 but the game rules are the same.

Game dynamics:

At the start bases (barracks buildings) are split randomly between players.
Each players starts with 4 gold. The basic unit costs 1 gold.
Each minute, players receive 4 gold + gold from each country he owns.
- 2 bases country = +2 gold
- 3 bases country = +3 gold
- 4 bases country = +4 gold
and so on
plus you can see at the center of each country there is a campfire: units spawn there each minute when the county is owned. 1 unit spawns for 2 bases country, 2 units for 3 bases country and so on.
A player wins when he conquered all the map or has gold income of more than say 150.

Buildings:
There are only 2 buildings; barracks and docks. Both are unattackable and hence invincible. They shoot arrows. You can see a glowing circle under them, thats where a unit stands when owned and when captured a new unit takes its place.
Small countries, such as Switzerland and many of the balcans ones have 2 barracks each. By the video you can see the proportions. Also each country has a coloured terrain different from the neighbour ones and it has its name written.

Units
All the players have the same kind of units at disposal. So I guess the civ must be the same to avoid bonuses for AoE.
Barracks produce:
Rifleman: 1 gold cost / would be archer
Healer: 2 gold / would be monk
Knight: 5 gold
General (improved knight): 10 gold / would be say paladin.
then there are tanks which could be made into siege units.
Docks
Docks produce ships of course but also some land units.
Transport ship is 2 gold, all the rest is attack ships which cost is scaled based on the ship.

Map
You must login into Voobly to view image

So this is general overview, if you are interested let me know we can collaborate.

Link | Reply | Quote
 SiegeEngine

Posted 4 August 2013 - 12:54 pm
a modded risk would be amazing, i'd play that for sure!!
Link | Reply | Quote
 [RBF]ApAdams

Posted 4 August 2013 - 9:25 pm
This sounds a lot like the scenario I started working on, but it was without buildings. The units just spawned on a sand patch as gaia units and whoever was there could snag the spawn and they receive credit for owning the country. When you take a country I want to make it so you get bonus units on that country (which you can move of course). The bonus units for conquering is very complicated and takes lots of triggers. How would you think is a good way to track ownership? My scenario places a flag in a certain spot in the corner of the screen to keep track of the fact that you just took an auto generated gaia unit by being close enough to it's spawn point to convert it and task it a few spaces away. If you have all of the flags placed for a geographical region, you start getting improved units, or possibly just more units. I've had it so each country produces something relevant, so spain has conquistadors and britain has longbows, but not all the countries in risk come with a unit that is automatically appropriate so I was kind of wanting to do a mod that creates like a special unit for Ural for example. What military unit could Ural have? Of course this would have very mixed units in the game and would be very interesting but maybe too much so?
Attachments:
risk 108.scx (file size: 27.82 KB)
Link | Reply | Quote
 Mulon

Edited 5 August 2013 - 1:13 am by Mulon
Quote:
When you take a country I want to make it so you get bonus units on that country (which you can move of course).

Yes that is supposed to happen
Quote:
The bonus units for conquering is very complicated and takes lots of triggers. How would you think is a good way to track ownership?

In the video there is a campfire from where units spawn. We can do just with a flag which is generally in the middle of the said country. To track it I think is kinda easy doing IF #number of barrack is say 5 change ownership of the flag, if flag belongs to player create object unit. Remember gold and these units spawn every 1 minute (a turn). Again doesnt need to be a flag in the corner just in the middle of the country. Also doesnt need to be gaia, just replicate the conditions and effect with trigger studio.
Quote:
If you have all of the flags placed for a geographical region, you start getting improved units, or possibly just more units.

No, lets avoid that from the time being. In the wc3 version there are not the mega regions and the game works fine.
Quote:
it so each country produces something relevant, so spain has conquistadors and britain has longbows, but not all the countries in risk come with a unit that is automatically appropriate so I was kind of wanting to do a mod that creates like a special unit for Ural for example.

Could and could not do. It is interesting, but I would suggest keep everything equal, when the game works we could add it later and check it. - 1 step at the time basically. -

Will check later your scenario.

Also since is risk and originally supposed to be set in 1800s with rifles, and in europe, I would take out archers and put only Cannonners. As I think is fun to hear explosions rather than arrows. Gives more a european war feeling. So basically the 1 gold unit.

This map would need a 1000 pop limit mod as well. Can you combine that?

Do you need the map first to work for the mod or you can do it without?
Link | Reply | Quote
 ['RB']Dan

Posted 5 August 2013 - 2:25 am
loved these games on wc3
Link | Reply | Quote
 [RBF]ApAdams

Posted 5 August 2013 - 2:32 am
I personally wouldn't leave region conquering out. That part is relatively easy and I already have triggers to make it work. The gaia unit that spawns in the center of each country can be a flag and it can be used to control who owns what country. It would spawn every few seconds and another trigger would remove it so another can spawn in it's place and ownership would just be determined in cycles like that. So you know who to give the buildings to.
Link | Reply | Quote
 NicKeL_

Posted 5 August 2013 - 3:23 am
Guys this map already exists. We used to play it on gamespy and gameranger. Basically there are a bunch of wonders and if you have enough units nearby it becomes yours and the units they spawn. Different wonders spawn different units at different rates
Link | Reply | Quote
 Mulon

Posted 5 August 2013 - 12:15 pm
That map is world risk and it is totally different from what we are trying to do here.
Link | Reply | Quote
 ['RB']nhoobish

Posted 5 August 2013 - 6:38 pm
World Risk and also LotR risk already exist. Why do you want a mod?

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 11 out of 11 posts