HOW TO STOP UNKNOWN UPDATE

+chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 23 December 2021 - 10:04 pm by +chris@voobly
Can you please check, whether the following registry keys exist?

For AOC:
Code:
public string GetAocGamePath(string installLocation) { string architecture = null; architecture = ProcessorArchitecture(architecture); if (architecture == "x86") { RegistryKey reg = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(@"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion 1.0\"); if (reg != null) { installLocation = reg.GetValue("InstallLocation") as string; } } if (architecture == "AMD64") { RegistryKey reg = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(@"SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion 1.0\"); if (reg != null) { installLocation = reg.GetValue("InstallLocation") as string; } } return installLocation; }

For HD:
Code:
public string GetHdGamePath(string installLocation) { RegistryKey reg = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(@"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 221380\"); if (reg != null) { installLocation = reg.GetValue("InstallLocation") as string; } return installLocation; }

Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 23 December 2021 - 3:12 am
No! We are getting close!!

I have AMD64bit machine so indeed I have
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion 1.0
But the only key with a folder is:
"UninstallString" which has the installation folder. I'll create a key there...

So I created that string but no luck. Still get the same error. I even created an uninstall\ageo of empires... key over in the non WOW6432 region just in case. (WOW64 = Windows on windows64)

So now what? I'll post a screenshot of regedit. We are talking "hkey_local_machine". Right?
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 23 December 2021 - 3:14 am
Screenshot of regedit - I created the registry string that is shown here (InstallLocation)
Attachments:
Capture.PNG (file size: 23.57 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 23 December 2021 - 3:16 am
Why can't this just use the same code as the "game diagnostics"? That found the folder just fine. These 2 things should match so that if you get an error here you also get it in game diagnostics.

Anyway, what am I doing wrong - why didn't it get farther along when I added the registry key?

This is just a normal installation of AOC from the cdrom.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 23 December 2021 - 2:21 pm
Please delete the two folders Age of Empires 2.0 and Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion 1.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Age of Empires 2.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion 1.0

Download the attached ZIP and import the original registry keys I created for you.
Attachments:
registry.zip (file size: 899 B)
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 23 December 2021 - 8:21 pm
Done. I deleted those 2 registry folders and used "file" "import" in regedit and it created those keys nicely but it still doesn't work.

I think I see a bug here:
Code:
reg.GetValue("InstallLocation")

I don't think InstallLocation should be in quotes. It should be taking the variable passed into the function. Right?

Or maybe it's finding the folder just fine but the error is related to something else like when it tries to actually open the folder?

Or maybe voobly installer doesn't have access to the registry?
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 23 December 2021 - 8:24 pm
Or maybe it doesn't think I am "AMD64". Maybe that test isn't working correctly. It would be nice to have logging for all these steps to know which part to focus on.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 23 December 2021 - 8:36 pm
To see if it was the AMD64 thing I edited your key files to remove the WOW6432Node part and imported them again. I also added string values for InstallLocation to all 4 folders.

Still no luck.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 23 December 2021 - 8:44 pm
Blue arrow points to a string I created after trying your method.

I added these strings to all 4 locations (aoc location aok location and same locations without the WOW6432Node)
Attachments:
Capture.PNG (file size: 25.48 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 23 December 2021 - 10:05 pm
Just wondering, did you disable the UAC?
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 23 December 2021 - 11:33 pm
The instructions were not clear. I thought I was supposed to set it to "normal". But now that you clarified I should "disable UAC" I googled that and it sounds like I have to reboot. So I slide the bar all the way down and hit okay and then rebooted.

Now when I launch voobly it doesn't pop up a UAC message anymore. That's... nice. But I still get the error about "Could not find game installation directory --"

Here are the instructions I followed:
Quote:
To turn off UAC:
Type uac into the Windows Start menu.
Click "Change User Account Control settings."
Move the slider down to "Never Notify."
Click OK and then restart the computer.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 23 December 2021 - 11:45 pm
No, the UAC must not be disabled. Please turn it on again!

Please give me the build number of your OS: Start > Run > winver
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 24 December 2021 - 2:44 am
windows version...
Attachments:
Capture.PNG (file size: 16.11 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Edited 24 December 2021 - 2:47 am by [ FN ]king_george_fn
oh. I will put it back to the default. How you showed it in the other thread.

"notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (default)"

But it sounds like I have to restart my computer so I'll do that now also. Oh - I proved I don't have to restart my computer. Now it is asking again.

Maybe you could add some logging? So we know exactly which line of code is failing?

Maybe my computer does not return "amd64" and also not "x86". Maybe my computer returns a third thing?
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Edited 24 December 2021 - 3:12 am by [ FN ]king_george_fn
Code:
string architecture = null; architecture = ProcessorArchitecture(architecture); if (architecture == "x86")

The documentation for this c# function says it returns an enum. Not a string. I don't understand how you get that to work. Also the enum includes "X86", not "x86". Although I don't know C# much. I've written maybe 2 programs, both only maybe 50 lines of code.

[You must login to view link]

I think my machine should return X86 because I think it is running 32 bit windows on 64 bit windows (WOW). Right? It would be nice to log what the variable "architecture" is equal to and log any errors coming from reg.GetValue().

But I put those registry keys in the non WOW area of the registry and it still can't find the folder.

Link | Reply | Quote
1[2]3456
Displaying 16 - 30 out of 78 posts