HOW TO STOP UNKNOWN UPDATE

+chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 24 December 2021 - 12:57 pm by +chris@voobly
Nope, it will return x86 or AMD64, please check the PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE key in Environments.
Code:
public string ProcessorArchitecture(string architecture) // Detect 32/64-Bit Windows Operating System. { RegistryKey reg = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(@"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment\"); if (reg != null) { architecture = reg.GetValue("PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE") as string; // Value will be "x86" or "AMD64". } return architecture; }

If there was a problem with our code, it would affect ALL players. But you appear the be the only person affected, so it must be something with your machine or your game installation. The code is almost 10 years old and has not changed lately.

Referring back to previous posts, you said, that the Uninstall keys were missing. So I am wondering, whether the cause could be your installation media. Can you please confirm, that you install both, AOK and AOC using the original CD-R or ISO-Files.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 24 December 2021 - 1:16 pm
I created a fresh Windows 10 VM and installed AOK / AOC using the original CDs. I am not able to reproduce the behavior you are having, and as said in my previous post, if it was a bug in Voobly, everyone would have it.

Next thing you should try: Close Voobly and temporary move ALL folders in the directories below to your desktop and see, whether the problem still persists.
c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Voobly Mods\AOC\Data Mods\
c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Voobly Mods\AOC\Patches\

Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 24 December 2021 - 6:57 pm
Thanks for still looking into this!

I don't have time at the moment but will do these things later today.

That the code hasn't changed in over a year is telling. The problem started maybe 6 months ago. It used to work great on this computer. Hundreds of times. I don't use this computer much except for gaming (mostly use ubuntu). I figured it was a voobly update but I guess that is not likely.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 24 December 2021 - 7:01 pm
Oh and I *did* have the uninstall key. But looking at your code it looks like I should have an "installLocation" key. But I guess I read the code wrong. That is actually a parameter (how the hell can you quote a parameter like that? Very strange code - maybe voobly rewrote the code when posted?).

So I had all the right keys in all the right places. I was just reading your code wrong. Or it is a major bug in your code (unlikely it seems). I mean, WTF? Why is InstallLocation quoted? That looks 100% wrong.
Code:
installLocation = reg.GetValue("InstallLocation") as string;
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 24 December 2021 - 10:17 pm by +chris@voobly
I mean, WTF? Why is InstallLocation quoted? That looks 100% wrong.
Code:
installLocation = reg.GetValue("InstallLocation") as string;
[You must login to view link]

Even if you were right: the same piece of code is used in ALL locations where values are read from registry including the WK DE installer. Not only, that the code would not compile if this was a syntax error - the code would also not work for anyone. In other words, the client would not be able to read ANYTHING from registry. And it would also mean, that EVERYONE would have the issue, not just you. This makes no sense mate.

The simplest explanation is usually the best one. It's a technical issue with your computer, we still have to solve.
Attachments:
csharp_usage.png (file size: 46.32 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 25 December 2021 - 2:45 am
Okay. No surprise. looks like AMD64. And no Environment variable called InstallLocation. No surprise. I assume that is set just before launching.

I'll try moving the folders later.

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (file size: 4.21 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 25 December 2021 - 3:55 am
+chris@voobly wrote:
I created a fresh Windows 10 VM and installed AOK / AOC using the original CDs. I am not able to reproduce the behavior you are having, and as said in my previous post, if it was a bug in Voobly, everyone would have it.

Next thing you should try: Close Voobly and temporary move ALL folders in the directories below to your desktop and see, whether the problem still persists.
c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Voobly Mods\AOC\Data Mods\
c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Voobly Mods\AOC\Patches\

No luck. "Could not find game installation directory --"

I moved everything in Data Mods/ and Patches/. There's a 3rd folder, "Local Mods". So I tried moving everything from there as well. no difference. I tried deleting "Local Mods". No difference. I put everything back for now.

Can I use virtual studio to debug the code? I don't even know which dll or exe has this code but it should in theory be possible to find all the calls to that registry "get" function and put a breakpoint there to see what gets passed in and out of that function every time. Difficult to do without source code but I've done this before - like 25 years ago - in windows 95. You could attach the debugger to a running process and check stuff out like the stack. It was all machine code but you could see system calls. Virtual Studio might not have this feature anymore. I couldn't find it when I last checked maybe 10 years ago.

It would be so nice if there was logging. I've added logging to help diagnose customer problems before when they had bizarre issues. It was always very enlightening.

That code you posted above. Is that in voobly.exe? voobly-update.exe? Or one of the dlls?

Oh! I see QT! I guess the voobly lobby uses QT Creator? That makes sense. I'm guessing it sets some environment variables and launches voobly-update.exe? I'm guessing this because I don't think QT supports C#. And that you use environment variables at all implies you are launching another program and using those to pass parameters. Is voobly-update.exe documented? Can I set the environment variables up myself manually and launch it? Right now I usually launch the update either from Chrome or from within the voobly lobby.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 25 December 2021 - 3:57 am
I installed QT maybe 6 months or a year ago. Maybe that somehow messed up voobly-update? Seems unlikely but I don't use this machine for a lot (well compared to a typical user who never even uses word, I *do* use this machine a lot). But compared to my main computer I barely use this computer at all.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 26 December 2021 - 11:54 am
Normally not. I would try a clean installation of the Voobly Client to see.
Voobly is not Open Source by the way.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Edited 27 December 2021 - 9:43 pm by [ FN ]king_george_fn
I did. Maybe it was in another of these topics. On your advice:
1) I ran uninstallers for voobly and AOC. I then deleted the folders. Then I did a fresh install. I mentioned this but maybe it was in a different thread. I did all this because this was your first piece of advice.

2) Despite temporary confusion, they *do* create the correct registry entries in the correct locations (I just misread the code - I didn't know about the environment variable trick)

3) I have never installed any kind of antivirus software and I disabled all the windows antivirus features I could find.

3) I really feel this could be debugged quickly with some logging. Maybe an option where I can launch voobly with increased logging (voobly -d) along with what environment variables to set up just before launching the installer.

Alternatively, information (which keys were found and not - what exactly was the key name - what was returned if the key was found but the folder wasn't found - whatever else can be though of) could be added to the end of the existing error message.

You probably think I'm the only one among a few thousand who have this error but it was quite a process just to get to this point. I tried several times before to search for this error and to get support. It wasn't until Kwin got involved that things started happening. In other words I gave up a few times and then got renewed energy. So how many others gave up before me? I know that several people will enter the room and get the download arrow and just flat out say "I can't use that mod". So I'm probably not the only one. I'm just the most persistent one.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Hoppeeee

Edited 28 December 2021 - 4:44 am by Hoppeeee
It's not just you experiencing this, King George -- it's me, too! I uninstalled everything as described in the guide: [You must login to view link] But now I can't install any of the Mods or even play a game because of this "Could not find game installation directory" error.

I haven't figured out how to install the mods manually yet like you did, so I can't even play any games with other players through Voobly now. In any case, the Voobly auto-update feature / mod install feature is not working for me at all.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 28 December 2021 - 7:06 am
Hoppeeee wrote:
It's not just you experiencing this, King George -- it's me, too! I uninstalled everything as described in the guide: [You must login to view link] But now I can't install any of the Mods or even play a game because of this "Could not find game installation directory" error.

I haven't figured out how to install the mods manually yet like you did, so I can't even play any games with other players through Voobly now. In any case, the Voobly auto-update feature / mod install feature is not working for me at all.
Do you have Avast?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Hoppeeee

Edited 28 December 2021 - 1:10 pm by Hoppeeee
No, I do not -- and I have tried creating exceptions for Voobly in my firewall, even turning it off completely. Not sure what the issue is but it does seem like something is preventing me from connecting with Voobly's server. I just saw another user post a thread this morning, I think with this same issue, but in Spanish.

https://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/342349
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 28 December 2021 - 3:13 pm
Most mods and patches can't be installed manually. A few can. Scroll down until you see "manual" instructions
1.6RC patch: https://www.voobly.com/gamemods/mod/1519/v16-RC
1.6RC data mod: https://www.voobly.com/gamemods/mod/1533/v16-Game-Data

In general, google "site:voobly.com " then add "mod" and the name of the mod. Look for manual download instructions. One that I did recently however was possible but very tricky - moving files from a zip file into various folders. Hand editing the version file. It might have been DE Balance or Allied Vision mod? I forget.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 28 December 2021 - 5:42 pm
Most mods and patches can't be installed manually. A few can. Scroll down until you see "manual" instructions
1.6RC patch: https://www.voobly.com/gamemods/mod/1519/v16-RC
1.6RC data mod: https://www.voobly.com/gamemods/mod/1533/v16-Game-Data

In general, google "site:voobly.com " then add "mod" and the name of the mod. Look for manual download instructions. One that I did recently however was possible but very tricky - moving files from a zip file into various folders. Hand editing the version file. It might have been DE Balance or Allied Vision mod? I forget.

Have you tried this yet?
[You must login to view link]

Link | Reply | Quote
12[3]456
Displaying 31 - 45 out of 78 posts